06 2.2 Dipstick - cest42
Is there anything special about the dipstick on the CRV ? My engine started running badly occasionally on Saturday so I stopped, checked under the bonnet and with no other signs of problems I checked the oil using the dipstick and it appeared empty. Having added 5L to it and turning the motor over for 30 secs I rechecked it and there was still nothing. I then headed for home but after leaving the car in a car park for 15 mins, when I restarted it, there was a heavy rattling noise from the engine. I used the motor to get the car out of the car park and then called a breakdown truck. Still waiting for local Honda to check the car but they say it sounds like the motor is wrecked.

I was surprised that apart from the rough running, there were no signs/warnings on the dashboard. If I was reading the dipstick correctly and there was no oil showing, where had it gone ? There were no spills under the car and nothing visible in the engine bay

Steve
06 2.2 Dipstick - Pugugly
Has it got a low oil warning light ?? (yellow oilcan)

Was the engine hot when you checked it ? If so did you let it stand for a while before checking ?
06 2.2 Dipstick - cest42
No warning lights of any sort. Just the occasional inconsistency in the motor. Car is 50kms away at the dealers so can't check anything. Engine was hot both times I checked the oil.

Steve
06 2.2 Dipstick - track
Ive just replaced one of these engines in an accord. A very costly repair if you have to buy an engine and pay for labour. They do take a good load of oil and are very prone to big end failure if the levels drop. Did you check there was no holes? Ive seen a couple wrecked when the sumps have got holes in, they seem to have a weak spot in the centre.
06 2.2 Dipstick - cest42
Didn't get chance to check for holes at side of road (taxi lane at mainline station !) but no sign of any leaks in time I was there
06 2.2 Dipstick - Simon
So when did you last check the oil prior to this occurrence?
06 2.2 Dipstick - bathtub tom
Can we go back even further?

How long have you had the car?

What's it's service record?

How often have you checked the oil and how much have you had to put in?

What work has been done recently?

Hit any big potholes or speedhumps lately?
06 2.2 Dipstick - cest42
Car is 3.5 years old and I have driven it from new, firstly as a company car, last 6 months privately.

Car has been serviced as per the handbook by Honda. Last time oil would have been checked would be 4 months ago as part of the last service. (Typical company car driver behaviour I know). Can't recall hitting any speedbumps or potholes recently. No work on the engine either.

Car was running perfectly well until Saturday.

Steve
(PS Having used it in the subject, I am expecting to get called dipstick at some point)

Edited by cest42 on 04/11/2009 at 06:56

06 2.2 Dipstick - Peter D
So you have not checked the oil since the sevice, even to see if they had filled it Correctly. Regards Peter
06 2.2 Dipstick - bathtub tom
No warning lights at all?

As PU asked, low oil level light, or even low oil pressure light when the engine was making a rattling noise?
06 2.2 Dipstick - cest42
There were no warning signs at all on the dashboard.

Still waiting to hear from the dealer
06 2.2 Dipstick - cest42
Stupidly, no.
And how many miles have you done since the service. Regards Peter
06 2.2 Dipstick - cest42
12000kms/8000 miles

Steve
So 0.3 to 0.5 ltr per 1000 miles. 8000miles so 4 lts used. Bad News. Pete D
06 2.2 Dipstick - cest42
OK if that is the reason then so be it but car has never used oil before (no warning lights, no raps on knuckles from service people after services).

What I don't understand is why I had no warning lights, surely they exist on the CRV ? Will try and recover the manual

Looks like I will have learned an expensive lesson

Steve
I have an Audi A6 with 55 K on the clock and she uses in general 1/4 of a litre per 1000 miles, depending on local or motorway runs. Not checking th oil for 8000 is a no no but perhaps you have a blocked breather or failed valve stem seals and she has suddenly started to drink oil. I would have at least expected you to spot a low oil pressure warning. I often hear owners say their car does not use oil between services which always worries me as by default to lube a combustion engine some oil must pass the rings, seals and evaporate and be drawn back into the engine as combustible gases. Regards Peter
As I siad before, did they fill it properly when they seviced it. Regards peter
06 2.2 Dipstick - cest42
In 25+ years of driving company cars I've only ever had 1 problem after a service (Vauxhall Cavalier serviced by some cowboys in snip) so have got out of the habit of checking things like oil.

Yes, I am lazy but seriously expected that with the sophisticated electronics in cars these days, I would have had some warning.

Will wait to see what news the dealer has

Thanks for your inputs

Steve

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/11/2009 at 00:27

06 2.2 Dipstick - cest42
Correcting typo

I would have expected to have had some warning.