96 1.8 Starts then stops. What is this code? - AudiDoDe
Hi I have an Audi A4 1996 1.8 petrol and it to seems to have a prob. It had a fault when I got it of starting and then stopping straight away, but then all of a sudden it would go. I tried to trace it but being an intermittent fault made it impossible at the time. All this summer its been a peach and not played up at all. Now however that the rain is falling the problem is back! I suspect damp. I found the area where the battery sits full of water (blocked drain hole), I have a fault code 18010 low voltage at B+ and 17978 which is not listed in the book that came with the scanner, great! Also I have on the dash LCD something new this time which reads "ln l" anybody know what it means?
At the moment I have the battery on charge and trying to dry the car out a little. I have seen this fault on forums before but not got to the bottom of it.

***If anyone knows what the mystery VAG code 17978 and dash code is please tell.***

Apart from that its a great motor and handles well for an estate.
96 1.8 Starts then stops. What is this code? - Dynamic Dave
***If anyone knows what the mystery VAG code 17978

forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=105291

First hit that google threw up.

tinyurl.com/yjapkds

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/11/2009 at 18:58

96 1.8 Starts then stops. What is this code? - Dynamic Dave
Also I have on the dash LCD something new this time which reads "ln l" anybody know what it means?

Service light possibly?

tinyurl.com/yg3oojt

96 1.8 Starts then stops. What is this code? - AudiDoDe
Many thanks, seems 17978 means engine start blocked by immobilizer.