00 1.6 Replace engine or scrap! - bpw39
Looking for some advice,
Focus went into garage, diagnosised as burnt exhaust valve on cylinder 3. £900 repair.

Got the car back, week later returned for oil leak- repaired no extra cost.

Week later returned to garage burnt out valves.. diagnosised as cam shaft wear. six weeks later get car back fixed, no extra cost.

Week later back in to get oil cap fitted and engine bay cleaned up, no extra cost.

Week later back into garage burning oil 2 litres in 100 miles gargage now say rings have gone and require a replacement engine!

The will supply engine but I have to foot cost for labour £480. I am I being ripped off or do you think this is resonable or should I just scrap the car?
00 1.6 Replace engine or scrap! - Pugugly
Presumably under some sort of Warranty ?
Offering 12 months
00 1.6 Replace engine or scrap! - Peter D
Who is paying for the engine and where is it coming from. Regards Peter
Garage pay for engine, where it comes who knows?
00 1.6 Replace engine or scrap! - bell boy
questions to ponder while we live through bangs wizzes and horrible kids screaming at my door
firstly
how do you know this garage isnt trying to sell you your own engine?
secondly
"how can you be sure in a world thats constantly changing" that its not just a case that the valve stem oil seals are shot (something i might add that should have been sorted when the valves were renewed)
thirdly
they seem to have you on a bouncy string
fourthly
i really would recommend you go to another garage not connected to first one for a second opinion and a compression test

ps david cassidy
I do feel he has me on the end of a string, but I have now paid him £900 to repair a fault, which he claims he had to fix to find this one, I also paid £350 to get it through its mot. PS when I went to pick it up after the MOT it was at that point the car would not start and he replace the whole head!
Do you think £480 is expensive just for an engine swap?
00 1.6 Replace engine or scrap! - mikej
You've already paid more than the car is worth to keep it on the road, so spending another £480 on it would be crazy IMO.

If a second opinion from a different garage gives a similarly expensive cure, then I'd cut your losses and scrap it if I was you, painful as that may be.

Edited by mikej on 01/11/2009 at 00:52

00 1.6 Replace engine or scrap! - Peter D
Why would the garage offer to pay for a replacement engine for you. Something does not hand right here. Regards Peter