04 2.5 TDi Multitronic - Turbo and EGR Problem - Travelbuddy
Hi and would very much appreciate any feedback on the following problem.

The car has 18k on the clock since new (Dec 2004) and is mainly used on long trips (say min 50 miles, max 1500 miles), but on an in frequent basis say 2 or 3 times a month.

No problems occurred at all until 15 months ago when the EGR "soot'ed" up and was replaced at a cosy of £320 by an independent. Now the Turbo has become cake'd up with sooty deposits and needs replacing at a cost of £900, again by the same independent.

When I compare this to my wife's car (Mitsubishi Colt DID 1.5 auto) bought also from new Dec 2004, which has done 15K mainly short 3 mile journeys, the Colt has not missed a beat.

Any thoughts on what could be the cause of the A4 soot'ing up ..... or is it just I should use the car more frequently?

Cheers,
Travelbuddy.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/10/2009 at 12:44

04 2.5 TDi Multitronic - Turbo and EGR Problem - macavity
You could ask these people:
www.turbotechnics.com/docs/index.htm
04 2.5 TDi Multitronic - Turbo and EGR Problem - Travelbuddy
Cheers for this and have just fired off an email to them.
Travelbuddy
04 2.5 TDi Multitronic - Turbo and EGR Problem - Hamsafar
This turbo contains a ring of concentric static vanes whose angle of incidence is altered by rotating a ring a few degrees upon which they are all mounted. Sometimes gentle driving means that they become jammed with carbon deposits due to not getting hot enough and not moving back and forth enough. Sometimes they can be freed up in situ and the car driven enthusiastically at higher rpms will clean it.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgVrpiFfp8U&NR=1

Edited by Hamsafar on 30/10/2009 at 16:02