Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Rattle
My friend has a resitrction on her licence that she needs to wear glasses.

My driving licence dosn't have any restrictions but I would not be able to drive I don't think without my glasses, I would never even dream of doing it. Do I need to inform the DVLA and do I also need to inform my insurance company of this?

Am I being pendantic?
Looks like it is just if your eye sight is very bed :) From google it seems as longs if you can see with glasses you're fine.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Armitage Shanks {p}
No Rattle, I don't think you do. If you ever venture to Spain however and if you need glasses for driving, you must carry a spare pair with you. Not a lot of people know that.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Dwight Van Driver
Whilst there is a requirement under Road Traffic Act to notify DVLA of any disability that could affect safety, eyesight IMHO does not qualify as easliy rectified by spectacles.

Police do have the power to carry out roadsight test if they suspect driver's eyesight not up to the mark.

Where glassess prescribed bitklike seat belt if not worn then offence.

dvd
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - ijws15
I believe you must notify them IF you need them to drive (actually to read a number plate at the distance stated in the Highway code).

My license has the code as I have worn spectacles from the age of 15.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Cliff Pope
I believe you must notify them IF you need them to drive >>

Not according to the DirectGov website:

"Letting the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) know about eyesight conditions
When applying for your driving licence from the DVLA you should let them know if you have:

any visual condition which affects both eyes (not including short or long sight or colour blindness)
any visual condition which affects your sight (not including short or long sight or colour blindness) eg if you have sight in one eye only
If you have had sight correction surgery you should declare this when you apply for your provisional licence."

So there is no requirement to notify them if you merely need classes to correct long or short sight - eg to read number plates. The only requirement is that if you need glasses, you must wear them when driving.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - b308
If you ever venture to Spain however and
if you need glasses for driving you must carry a spare pair with you.

I thought most European countries specify that? TBH its common sense, I do it over here already (those 2for1 offers come in very useful!!)...
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Armitage Shanks {p}
b308 is obviously right! I checked the AA continental motoring requirements and actually Spain recommends carrying spare glasses but only if your licence is annotated that you need to wear them for driving.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Muggy
Well, my licence has the eyesight code on it. I've worn glasses since I was about 12 or 13.

But for some reason it doesn't have the hearing device code on it even though I've been deaf in both ears since I was 5 and without a hearing aid ( I now have a Cochlear Implant in one side ) I wouldn't hear a thing...
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - ijws15
But for some reason it doesn't have the hearing device code on it even though
I've been deaf in both ears since I was 5 and without a hearing aid
( I now have a Cochlear Implant in one side ) I wouldn't hear a
thing...

I don't believe there is any requirement for a driver to be able to hear.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - bathtub tom
WHAT?

Sorry! I won't be surprised if the mods remove this. ;>)
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Muggy
Well, the official list of DVLA licence codes does include one for requiring a communication aid:

Code
1 Eyesight correction
2 Hearing / communication aid
10 Modified transmission
15 Modified clutch
20 Modified braking systems
25 Modified accelerator systems
30 Combined braking and accelerator systems
35 Modified control layouts
40 Modified steering
42 Modified rear - view mirror(s)
43 Modified driving seats
44 Modifications to motorcycles. (1) single opertaed brake. (2) (adjusted) hand operated brake (front wheel). (3) (adjusted) foot operated brake (back wheel). (4) (adjusted) accelerator handle. (5) (adjusted) manual transmission and manual clutch. (6) (adjusted) rear-view mirror(s). (7) (adjusted) commands (direction indicators, brake light, etc.). (8) seat height allowing the driver, in sitting position to have two feet on the road at the same time.
45 Motorcycle only with sidecar
70 Exchange of licence from a different issuing country
71 Duplicate of licence
78 Restricted to vehicles with automatic transmission
79 Restricted to vehicles in conformity with the specifications stated in brackets
101 Not for hire or reward
102 Drawbar trailers only
103 Subject to certificate of competence
105 Not more than 5.5m long
106 Restricted to vehicles with automatic transmission
107 Not more than 8250kg
108 Subject to minimum age requirements
110 Limited to invalid carriages
111 Limited to 16 passenger seats
113 Limited to 16 passenger seats except for automatics
114 With any special controls required for safe driving
115 Organ donor
118 Start date is for earliest entitlement
119 Weight limit does not apply
120 Complies with health standard for category D1
121 Restricted to conditions specified in the Secretary of State's notice.
122 Valid on successful completion: Basic Moped Training Course

And don't worry about the deaf joke - I don't mind; in fact I crack quite a few deaf jokes myself.. ;-)

Edited by Muggy on 28/10/2009 at 17:24

Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Pugugly
Wow ! - I've got a Code 1 on my licence and I never even knew it.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Alby Back
Prob'ly couldn't see it eh PU ?
Scarily I can see it without my specs on - but was struggling to see it otherwise.

Edited by Pugugly on 28/10/2009 at 17:34

Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - rtj70
Well I wear glasses and have gone long before I started driving. Don't think I have a code. Although I could read a plate at the distance without them. But I'd not drive without glasses.

Or am I missing the code on my licence?
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - the swiss tony
you learn something new every day!
I have a code one and didnt know it... the coppers would know, I need glasses even without the code, my photo shows me wearing glasses!

Edited by the swiss tony on 28/10/2009 at 19:04

I am confused now, do I need to inform the DVLA or not?I seem to have mislaid my driving licence card :(

Just found it the only code I have is 122 Valid on successful completion: Basic Moped Training Course

Edited by Rattle on 28/10/2009 at 19:07

What happens if you have a code 1 and then have laser treatment on your eyes then ?
Or need glasses, have laser treatment and then later need glasses again.

I wear glasses but don't think I have a code 1.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Bromptonaut
I've worn glasses since age 12 and have no code one. Perhaps I forgot to tick a box when applying for my provisional in 1976. Certainly wore them for the test.

Worryingly, although I'd never venture outside without my specs, I'm very close to being able, albeit with a bit of squinting, to read a modern plate at twentyish metres.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - Robin Reliant
I am confused now do I need to inform the DVLA or not?I seem to
have mislaid my driving licence card :(

No, you don't.

The only requirement is that you must wear them if you need them to comply with the law.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - 1400ted
I wear specs and have had loads of retinal laser treatment, but none for the last 5 yrs.
I can now see if there's a car in front of me without SWMBO telling me ( kidding )
The DVLA know about this and I have to take a field vision test every 3 years to retain my licence

Should have gone to Specsavers, Rats !....No, you don't have to tell them.

Ted
Ted I did go to speccy savers :). I used to got o Mertons very friendly bunch but kept finding my glasses fall apart. Amazingly my specsavers pairs have been the toughest pair of glasses I have ever owned.

I won't step outside with my glasses :) I could easily walk any where without them but I would be straining my eyes too much. If I lost my glasses while driving then I simply could not drive, I would have to park up and use public transport until I got them replaced.
Do I need to inform the DVLA I wear glasses? - 1400ted
Rats, Cadmans are very good as well, the Ayatollah Ann has been there today.
I have some night driving glasses, which I find very good in the day as well.

Ted
So have we concluded that providing you wear glasses (if you need to) then there is no need for this to be on the licence? I've had a licence since provisional days for a long time now.

As an aside, a colleague once had a pair of those glasses they advertised you could bend and not break. His broke. And how they broke meant the guarantee worthless. The bendy bit was find, the bridge over the nose broke (didn't bend).... new glasses needed.