04 1.8TDCi Not Turning Over - Ben33
Hi All
I have a tdci variant and have recently had an issue starting it. About 2 months ago the starter motor broke up and I had it replaced. Since then I have experienced intermittent starting problems. I get all the usual lights on the dash but when I turn the key to turn the starter nothing happens, there's no strange noises or anything. It's as if the starter is not doing anything!

I took the starter to a company to have it bench tested who said that it was working correctly and just gave it me back. Next day it happened again!

It is really annoying because it can go weeks behaving normally and then over 2 days it can be a nightmare. Sometimes if I keep trying it will eventually turn and start but other times it hasn't and I have had to try and bump start it.

Looking for ideas/pointers as to what it could be?

Many Thanks for your help

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/10/2009 at 20:08

04 1.8 Not Turning Over - andyp
Is the car fitted with one of the infamous dual mass flywheels ?
04 1.8 Not Turning Over - Ben33
Yes, it is fitted with a DMF. A freind of mine told me that the filings can get stuck to the nose of the starter and prevent starting but it was cleaned before it was put back in and failed to start again 24 hrs later (presumably before the filings could build up again). Can a failing dmf cause the starter not to engage another way other than dust getting on the starter nose?
Can a failing dmf cause the starter not to engage another way other than dust getting on the starter nose?
04 1.8 Not Turning Over - daveyjp
Yes it can wreck the starter completely as the dust is attarcted to all magnetic parts of the starter.

Different model vehicles, but similar problem:

www.autoelectro.co.uk/bulletins/FORD%20TECHNICAL-A...f

Look at technical bulletins on www.autoelectro.co.uk for more info on other Fords.

It appears the only solution is to replace the DMF.

Edited by daveyjp on 22/10/2009 at 14:55

04 1.8 Not Turning Over - Robin the Technician
I think there are many things to try BEFORE going to the huge expense of replacing the DMF. A few tests with a test light. multimeter will establish if current is getting to the starter motor. There could be problems with the battery or even the ignition switch. Get the car looked at by a competent auto electrician - think how you'd feel if you spent many £££'s on an new DMF only to find the problem's still there. Always go for the cheapest options first - and then work your way upwards.

Robin the Technician
Many Thanks all for your help. I will try and get it checked over by electrician and see what they can find. If it is the dreaded DMF can you just change that and leave the existing clutch/salve etc in place? I am not planning on keeping the car so dont want to pay a fortune but do want it behaving properly before I sell it.
Thanks Ben
If it is the dreaded DMF can you just change that and leave the existing clutch/salve etc in place?
04 1.8 Not Turning Over - StanTheMan78
Wouldn't recommend dude. If it is the DMF most likely the whole clutch assembly will have undergone massive damage which is not always clearly visible. Most likely to fail would be the thrust bearing which will might have collected an enormous amount of clutch dust...bear in mind that having to rip apart the whole thing once more to change the clutch assembly (depends even how close to actual replacement this is ta the moment) costs more than a penny or two, so while there I'd go for the full monty and put my mind to rest...if this can ever be with these engines...

My dad's 1.8 TDCi 115 '04 focus went through this problem at just 25,000 kms...luckily the warranty was just about to expire and our local dealer replaced it...When I enquired what damage had been caused I was told that the clutch was down to the springs on one side...logically it neded replacing. The service advisor even mentioned something about the exhaust manifold being replaced...never really understood that one... The bill, had the warranty expired, would have amounted to some colossal £2.5k...but in my country spares as well as new cars are nowhere near as cheap as UK cars...in fact we get many UK imports at reasonable prices compared to the equivalent new ones...economies of scale! We have total monopoly here...we cannot afford more than one certified dealer for each make of car!