00 3.0 Starting Problems - StuartMcKinley
Hi guys I'm new to the forum just looking some advice for my Jag S type.

Its a year 2000 3.0l v6 auto petrol and sometimes when i try to start it (normally if i've been driving it for a bit then stop) i get nothing. Whether its in park or neutral i turn the key and nothing the car wont even try to turn over I just get dead silence. The battery is fine everything else is working perfectly radio etc but then after maybe 15-20 tries shifting between gears it will start randomly.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2009 at 14:40

00 3.0 Starting Problems - Kevin
The rotary switch on the side of the gearbox is a common failure point on the ZF box fitted to the S-Type, XJ and XK.

Symptoms vary, sometimes heat-related and sometimes not but usually accompanied by a stiffer than normal J-gate selector.

The switch on my XJ failed about 18 months ago. No problems when cold but would not start in Park when hot, engine would turn over but not fire. Move to Neutral and it would start.

Costs about £250 to £300 to change but a Jag dealer will be able to confirm a faulty switch before replacing it.

Kevin...
00 3.0 Starting Problems - StuartMcKinley
Thanks Kevin, I have a friend of a friend who works for jag and he said I needed a new J gate which new costs £193 plus VAT plus labour costs.

However I just got a second hand one today which was £40 and he fitted it at home for £60.

The car is starting perfectly now but need to fiddle with J gate to get it into proper gears e.g. for Drive it has to go into "4" then back to driver and its set but I think its a small price to pay for the amount of money I saved.

Thanks for the reply, you were right coincidentally appreciate it mate.
00 3.0 Starting Problems - bell boy
bit confused?
is it a rotary switch on the gearbox faulty ie the dirty end
or a micra switch on the bit under the console the clean end