03 1.2 Power Steering problem - Dipsy
Last year the electric power steering on my Punto started failing intermittently, which became more frequent until it failed completely. After much discussion with Fiat UK they agreed to replace the unit free of charge due to the low mileage on my car. That was May 2008, last night the same thing happened again only this time the warning light never came on. After switching the engine off and back on again, the power steering was working again. Does anyone have any idea what this is linked to (if anything)? I've seen suggestions it's possibly linked to a low battery function or overloading the electrics - last night I only had my headlights on. Since getting the new steering unit I have never used the City button. The car has only done just over 2000 miles since the new steering unit was fitted.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 16/10/2009 at 20:00

19 1.2 Power Steering problem - Dynamic Dave
What's the correct year please?

I, or one of the other mods will then edit it for you. DD.
19 1.2 Power Steering problem - Rattle
Have you checked the alternator output? I know on the Corsa EPS system low output voltage can cause a lot of EPS problems.
19 1.2 Power Steering problem - Dipsy
It's a 03 registration.
19 1.2 Power Steering problem - bell boy
you should listen to rattle
also make sure battery is a good one
also have the big plug on the motor checked for arcing
2003 cars not known for this problem so i wonder if you had an earlier power system fitted
19 1.2 Power Steering problem - raywood
Hi Guys
My wifes 03 reg Punto has just started showing the steering wheel warning light having only done 30k miles, is this just
going to make the wheel harder to turn ? untill we can get the motor/column replaced is it safe to drive ?? we have been advised its an MOT fail item.
We never used the City button.
19 1.2 Power Steering problem - Rattle
Check the alternator output as I said above :) if the PAS unit is not getting enough voltage the light will show up. That said the unit is a common failure point on the Punto.
19 1.2 Power Steering problem - raywood
Thanks, I'll get it checked, is the steering safe to keep driving ?