Using sealant okay to fit new tyre? - the_bandit
Fellow Back Roomers,

I had two rear tyres replaced this evening on Mrs Bandit's car. First tyre replaced fine but second one wouldn't hold an airtight seal.

The tyre fitter could see no signs of damage to the wheel or the tyre so decided to use a black coloured sealant. He said that they use this on older wheels that have rust around the rim preventing a first time seal.

The wheels in question here are steel wheels and 4 years old. No signs of corrosion.

My question is does anyone have experience of this tyre fitting method and put my mind at rest that there will be no problems with this?

Thanks.
Using sealant okay to fit new tyre? - Stuartli
If you mean just to seal the rim of the tyre, I would suspect it's perfectly safe.

However, the majority of tyre outlets won't normally attempt to repair any tyre that has previously been treated with the type of aerosol sealant inserted via the valve (i.e. to seal a puncture or similar mishap).
Using sealant okay to fit new tyre? - the_bandit
Yes it was to seal the rim of the tyre. This was a brand new tyre being fitted.
Using sealant okay to fit new tyre? - Dynamic Dave
Yep, had a tyre sealed on the rim of a wheel using the black goo. It didn't work though as there was still an amount of flaky paint on the inner rim of the alloy wheel which meant that a proper seal couldn't be made. In the end I removed the flaking paint with one of those wire brushes you use in a drill, feathered the edges and made good with silver smoothrite. Result, no more leaking between the tyre and rim of the wheel.