Can I get my deposit back - jalla04
Today, I paid a deposit of £500 for a Volvo XC90 T6. (Purchase price £11k)
When I test drove the car, there was a strange noise when putting the car in reverse. The dealer said that he wiuld investigate and fix it.
However, I have now looked on the internet and fond that the car is prone to gearbox failures which generally cost in the region of £5k to resolve. I cannot take the risk of buying the car but can I get my deposit back?
The noise only happened once when I was driving it so it could be argued that the car does not currently have a major mechanical fault. Is there anything I can do other than appealing to the good nature of the dealer.
Can I get my deposit back - rtj70
Did you pay a deposit before or after hearing the noise? Could be very important.
Can I get my deposit back - Lygonos
You could always ask for a 24hr test drive and give it a thorough drive hot and cold.

A failing 'box is likely to have a very repeatable symptom/noise.
I paid the deposit after hearing the noise.
On the documentation, the salesman has written "Look at reverse gear before collection"
Not sure if this helps
Hang onto the documentation - that's what you need if you have to invoke the Sale of Goods Act which will likely trump any warranty disputes if the gearbox parps in the next year or so.

Pretty hard for a dealer to say there was no problem at the time of sale if it's written on a sales receipt.

Why pay a deposit with a potential problem like this? At least without knowing you get it back.
But the noise was there before deposit paid. Therefore harder to use SOGA. The problem was there already and accepted surely?
Dealers cannot sell cars as "sold as seen/tested". A problem's a problem no matter what it says on the receipt.
My position is that given the high probability of gearbox failures in these cars and the very high cost of rectification, I cannot complete the transaction. This means that worst case, I will get landed with the full 7.5% penalty which is still a fraction of the gearbox cost. I guess what I am asking is , is there any legal route to recovering the deposit? If not, I may have to take it on the chin and put it down to a very expensive lesson!!
I have to say I am surprised to see you paid the deposit after hearing the noise. As Lygonos says the dealer has a right to sort it (and they might) so maybe hold on instead of losing the deposit.

You have technically entered a contract to buy the car - if you pull out now the dealer will likely keep the deposit to cover his 'costs' for the breach of contract.

I believe the Americans call the situation you are in "buyer's remorse."

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buyer's_remorse

I guess you are past the point of simply stepping back, but perhaps the dealer has another vehicle you would find more suitable that you could keep your deposit towards?

I think you either need to walk away, try to get the deposit back, but take it on the chin if you can't. Or buy the car but be prepared to push for a replacement gearbox if it fails in the first year or so of ownership (which it very well might not!).

The SOGA is all about showing a fault was likely present at the time of purchase.
Can I get my deposit back - b308
Demand an extended warranty which fully covers the gearbox perhaps?
Can I get my deposit back - Armitage Shanks {p}
Buy an extended warranty which includes the gearbox perhaps?
Can I get my deposit back - jacks
"The dealer said he would investigate and fix the fault"

No he won't - you've already discovered that it costs c.£5000 to fix, presumably that's because it either needs a strip and rebuild or a new box.
No dealer is going to spend that much - there's not enough profit in the sale to justify it.
Probably they will change the gearbox oil/fluid (if you're lucky) and then bung some "additive" in there to quieten it down - - and hope for the best.

You know (now) that this model has a potential gearbox issue.
The example you drove displayed a gearbox noise.
If it walks like a duck etc

Don't "hope" it will be ok just to save losing the £500.

If you buy the car every time you select reverse you will listening for the noise and wondering if and when it will need attention - even if it subsequently turns out not to have a serious problem the worry will still have ruined your enjoyment of the car.

Try and get the £500 back, or even £250 so they have something for their "trouble".

Then look for a car without any faults - get an independent inspection if your knowledge of car mechanicals isn't good (like most of us!).
Plenty of cars around without faults.

J

Edited by jacks on 12/10/2009 at 12:48

Can I get my deposit back - J1mbo
Lets see what the dealer says/does! Then post back and let us know!
Can I get my deposit back - Altea Ego
I assume you know you are buying a £35k car, and also assuming for your £11k you have got a 70k miles plus, 5+ years old example, you know it wil come with £35k type car repair bills?