Best-ever car TV ad? - r_welfare
Hi folks,

I've noticed recently that there's a lack of decent car ads on the "idiot lantern". So that got me thinking - what's the best-ever car ad you've seen on the telly?

Probably for me, it's got to have been the Nissan Almera ads from a few years back, aping The Sweeney and The Professionals. Spot-on impersonations and very entertaining.

Going back even further to the late 80s, the Montego ad where the car was put through it's paces in a works car park (handbrake turns etc - was the wheelman the renowned stunt driver Russ Swift?) was pretty good, of course the ASA would never allow such wanton displays of speed these days!

Any other suggestions?
Best-ever car TV ad? - Paul Mykatz-Tinks
Any other suggestions?

Yup.........scrap the ASA.

I know these things...........
Best-ever car TV ad? - Monaro
The Vauxhall Cavalier ad in the early 90s where they crash tested lots of them to the sound of Sledgehammer I think. That was back in the days that Vauxhalls were "once driven, forever smitten!"

Paul C
Best-ever car TV ad? - r_welfare
Yeah, that was quite a good one. Good song, too...did make me laugh because you could plainly see there was a bloke behind the wheel in the bits where the cars were jumped, rather than a dummy!
Best-ever car TV ad? - crazed
brian may doing "driven by you" for ford must have been a mega coup for ford, although the cars were/are crap

impressed by the hendrix remixes etc for the audi hairdressers car ad (TT)

wonder if john deacon will do an add for someone ?
Best-ever car TV ad? - Armitage Shanks{P}
The Alfa advert with blue suited skaters and the car cruising round frozen canals in Venice. Can't remember if there was any music but it was visually stunning. Part of the £1500 a year it was rumoured that Alfa spent on advertising per car that they sold in UK!
Best-ever car TV ad? - Dynamic Dave
Peugoet 309 advert. The one with Berlin's "Take my breath away"
Best-ever car TV ad? - Dave_TD
That was the 405, circa 1988.
Best-ever car TV ad? - BrianW
The Renault Clio "Papa" series always kept me amused.
Best-ever car TV ad? - Graham
but not as good as the smash ads

"they peel them with their metal knives hahaha"
Best-ever car TV ad? - doug_523i
The Fiat advert, Barber of Seville?, in the automated factory.
Best-ever car TV ad? - Bob the builder
Not exactly a car ad - the one for "Continental" tyres with the BMW screaming around a roof-top. I read at the time it was not faked and that a stunt driver had done the driving for real. Fantastic "close-to-the-edge" high-speed driving stressing the fantastic grip of said tyres. Fantastic stuff.
Best-ever car TV ad? - Pugugly {P}
The Astra GTE (Mk2) ad. whistful shots of said car with the "You were always on my mind....." soundtrack "once driven forever snitten - sweet."
Best-ever car TV ad? - bernie
Well,I don't know if it's the best,but having just watched the advert for the BMW 7 series,you know the one with the car in a swimming pool without the water and the bird swimming around it again with the water removed,I have to say that the paintwork on that car is just out of this world !

The reflection is just deep perfection.It just has to be a special paintjob with umpteen hours of individual attention lavished on it.

I bet you don't get that quality from your local BMW garage.
Best-ever car TV ad? - RichardP
What about the current Peugeot 206 ad where the guy is smashing his old car into the shape of the 206 by driving it into walls and hitting it with hammers etc? It is superb at the end when he is cruising the streets in it!
Best-ever car TV ad? - DoddMan
The 7-series probably was very shiny but I wouldn't be surprised if they digitally polished the car after the advert was shot. I doubt it would be difficult for a good effects house to improve the reflections and remove any marks; particularly as they would have already done lots of work removing the water the swimmer is 'swimming' in. In some shots the BMW may not even be real!
Best-ever car TV ad? - GJD
What about the sheer understated brilliance of the VW "surprisingly affordable" adverts. The woman reading the paper with hiccups, then she stops when she sees the ad for a Polo and the price. Or the two guys having to put padding around a lamp post next to a VW billboard. The pedestrian's eye is captured by the price on the billboard and he keeps walking towards the lamp post. Very refreshing for them to make the point in a slightly more intelligent way than lots of noise and pointless surrealism. Whether their point was valid or not I don't know, but the series of ads was great.

GJD
Best-ever car TV ad? - ndbw
I always liked the Vauxhall one in 1983 when the 1600Cavalier with 90bhp against the current Cortina with only 75bhp making it one of the first genuine 100mph repmobles.It showed one on a motorway slip road with a motorcyle policeman in attendance,and said quite simply Cavaliers beware of Roundheads.

NDBW
Best-ever car TV ad? - aaron
my daughter loves the current audi rs8(?) advert with the bull.
Best-ever car TV ad? - HF
It's remotely pertinent to say, that one of the LEAST interesting/effective car ads I've ever seen is the one which I believe is for some kind of Honda car. My kids and I watched the filming on and off (mainly off) over many hours whilst they shot this ad round the corner from where we live, in much excitement and trepidation, that our hometown was about to become famous for something (didn't know at the time it was a car ad, location was packed full with bikers and pizza-delivery blokes so we thought it was some kind of bike-pizza thing) - only to see the final take in all its glory on TV, punchline being something like 'well things could be worse, you could always live in Orpington.'
Best-ever car TV ad? - Arfur
Yes I remeber that one. First time I saw the ad I kept thinking the streets looked familiar. I almost fell over when the punchline appeared. But the punch line was "...but then you live in Orpington". A quiet nod to the fact that you need a 4x4 to deal with Bromley roads perhaps.
Best-ever car TV ad? - Dynamic Dave
Not so much a car ad,

But Chas & Dave's "He's got more rabbit than Sainsbury's" would be an apt advert for Bogush :o)