Roundabout Question [Read Only] - spameggandchips
Had a "discussion" with my wife yesterday about roundabouts. Can anyone settle this?

Imagine a roundabout with 4 exits - 12 o'clock, 3 oclock, 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock. You are approaching the roundabout from 6 o'clock, and want to go straight ahead, and exit at 12 o'clock. There are two lanes to enter the roundabout, but only one on the exit at 12 o'clock. There are no signs, or road markings indicating which lane to use.

I'm pretty sure that when I learnt the highway code to pass my driving test in the late 80's, the advice was to use the left lane for taking the first exit of a roundabout, either lane could be used for the second turning, and the right hand lane should be used at any junction beyond the second. (unless otherwise indicated)

Assuming my assumption above is correct, as you are approaching the roundabout, you notice there is a queue in the left lane, but the right lane is clear, so you decide to use it. At the point of entering the roundabout, the car in the left lane enters the roundabout at the same time as you to go straight on, but as there is only one exit lane, one of you has to give way.

Who has right of way?

The Highway code seems a bit vague about which lane to use, suggesting that you use an "appropriate" lane. Clearly it is easy to determine which lane is appropriate for turning left or right, but not straight on. I'm sure it used to say that you could use either, but can't find an old copy of it anywhere.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/10/2009 at 20:03

Roundabout Question - Alanovich
I seem to remember that, when I passed my test in 1987, the Highway Code said that you should always use the left lane when approaching a roundabout if you are going straight ahead (i.e 12 o'clock). Unless there are markings/signs to state otherwise. I stick to that to this day. Makes sense and conforms with the generally accepted rule of keeping to the left.

If I were driving the vehicle in your scenario which had entered the roundabout from the left lane, I'd consider the other vehicle's driver to be cutting me up (staying with your theme that there are no markings on the roads or signs indicating which lane to use).
Roundabout Question - TheOilBurner
From the horses mouth:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...8

"When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout "

More specifically, the IAM course teaches that it is OK to use lane 2 to go to the 2nd exit (i.e. straight on), unless markings prohibit it.
Roundabout Question - L'escargot
Entering the roundabout from the right hand lane requires you to move a lane to the left to complete the manoeuvre, and your ability to do this will depend on whether there is any other traffic to your left. Entering the roundabout from the left hand lane enables you to stay in the left hand lane all the way through the manoeuvre, so this seems to me to be the most appropriate.
Roundabout Question - dieseldogg
Well then another slant on this
A couple of R'abouts I use quite often here
first is to service a motorway
I used to use the right hand lane
to peel off down the first slip road to the left, still in the right hand lane
there being two lanes on this slip road
This arrangment has now been formalised with road markings.
the other is on an A class bypass
where 90% of the traffic bears left
So surely in this case straight on traffic SHOULD use the right hand lane
then left turners could use the right hand lane as well, to turn left
and there should only be left turners in the left hand lane
simples
Roundabout Question - Lud
Doesn't matter which lane you are in. The first car to reach the exit is the one that has priority.

Generally speaking those who cross roundabouts from the outside lane tend to be going faster.

I am imagining two cars reaching the exit side by side, both drivers convinced that they have priority from some half-remembered, misinterpreted skim through the not very useful Highway Code. Neither driver will give way because both know they are in the right.

They crash into each other and stop for an argument. Then both are lynched to death by motorists caught in the resulting tailback. And serve the carphounds right.

Very nice, Lud. So who should have given way?

I'm trying to imagine an alternative scenario at the entrance to the roundabout: "After you." "No, I insist, after you." "No, age before beauty." Lynching likewise carried out by motorists caught in resulting tailback.
Roundabout Question - Old Navy
If you apply the "keep left unless overtaking" rule you should only be in the right lane if turning right at the roundabout.
Roundabout Question - spameggandchips
In what way are you "overtaking" by turning right?
It was meant to say "keep left unless turning right", why else would you be in the right lane?
Ok, assume there are still 4 exits, but the "straight on" exit is at 2 o'clock. I'm now "turning right" but the right of way question still remains.
spam, there's no answer to it. The first car to reach the exit, even by a nose so to speak, has priority, simply because it is there first. Someone has to give way after all. Seems to me it should be the car that would drive into the side of the other car if it didn't back off a bit.

In real life this sort of thing doesn't cause many problems. Most people aren't willing to sustain or inflict body damage just to prove a point.
Ok, point taken, but there seems to be confusion with a lot of people that using the right hand lane is acceptable at all.
My wife will not accept that you may use either lane to go take the second exit, and a good percentage of others I've discussed this with seem to agree that you should only use the right hand lane for the third exit onwards.

I'm trying to define the highway code expression of "appropriate lane"
By what criteria do we define what is "appropriate"

Seems clear cut to me

Exit 1 - left
Exit 2 Left or right
Exit 3+ - Right

(Unless otherwise indicated)
Exit 1 - left
Exit 2 Left or right
Exit 3+ - Right

Yes.

It's surprising how half-witted drivers can be about arrows on the road though. You can never rely on people not doing something dumb from the wrong lane.
Seems clear cut to me
Exit 1 - left
Exit 2 Left or right
Exit 3+ - Right

>>

That sounds right to me, unless it is an odball roundabout where common sense must be used (dangerous that).

Edited by Old Navy on 05/10/2009 at 17:20

Roundabout Question - daveyjp
The Brits like queuing on foot or in a car - that's why there's the problem you are encountering. Too polite to do somehting which others may frown upon.
Yes, clearly common sense is the overriding factor here.
Actually the argument with my wife yesterday was about (as you may have guessed) me using the right hand lane, and the chap in the left lane hooting his horn at me. I was a good car length in front, so it seems I was "in the right". I was very aware him, and would have had to continue round if he'd been successful with his plan of accelerating to overtake me on the inside! I only completed the move as I could see it was safe to do so.
I think he had a typical british attitude and thought that as he's been silly enough to join the queue in the left lane, and had been held up by people turning left, that I should have shared his pain!

I was a good car length in front so it seems I was
"in the right".

I think he had a typical british attitude and thought that as he's been silly
enough to join the queue in the left lane and had been held up by
people turning left that I should have shared his pain!

Do you follow the typical British attitude when in a queue situation, unprotected by a ton of metal around you? For example, the Post Office queue? I bet you do! Or do you walk in to the Post Office, spot a open window and race to it, nipping round the sides of the barriers, before the person at the head of the queue can make it to the window? I bet you don't.

"The most appropriate lane" doesn't necessarily mean "the one which will get me there quickest".

Take a look at the picture of a roundabout from the Higway Code website:

www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...8

Looking at the car's approach from the bottom right, let's say 4 o'clock, it looks like left lane for straight ahead to me, right lane for turning right. Note: the car turning right off the roundabout at 2 o'clock has a split green arrow showing two possible courses. There is NO split arrow showing it turning off at 11 o'clock, the equivalent of straight ahead in this picture. Why is this? Because it's not supposed to go straight ahead from entering the roundabout in the right hand lane.

"Do you follow the typical British attitude when in a queue situation, unprotected by a ton of metal around you? For example, the Post Office queue? I bet you do! Or do you walk in to the Post Office, spot a open window and race to it, nipping round the sides of the barriers, before the person at the head of the queue can make it to the window? I bet you don't."

No I don't, but in a supermarket with separate queues for each checkout, I will join the shortest one, or pick an empty one - even if there is someone else queuing up at another checkout that has been there longer.

"Looking at the car's approach from the bottom right, let's say 4 o'clock, it looks like left lane for straight ahead to me, right lane for turning right. Note: the car turning right off the roundabout at 2 o'clock has a split green arrow showing two possible courses. There is NO split arrow showing it turning off at 11 o'clock, the equivalent of straight ahead in this picture. Why is this? Because it's not supposed to go straight ahead from entering the roundabout in the right hand lane."

It doesn't say you can't. It depends on how you define "appropriate lane"

Roundabout Question - sierraman
>>Take a look at the picture of a roundabout from the Higway Code website<<

The HC has shown a RA with dual carriageways though.If you approach in the outside lane to carry straight on,why should you be required to move to the inside lane?I stay in the outside,onto the inside lane of the RA,then straight on in the outside,often beside a vehicle on the inside and never with any problems.
Seems clear cut to me
Exit 1 - left
Exit 2 Left or right
Exit 3+ - Right

I don't think you can generalise that easily. Normally, exit 2 isn't suitable for turning left, but there's always exceptions.
Normally, exit 2 is fine for straight on, but not always.

Sometimes, exit 1 doesn't make sense for straight on, depending on where straight on is around the island...indeed there's an island near me where exit one is specifically signed for left only. Doesn't stop people from using it for straight on anyway, with predictable chaos on the narrow exit at busy times...
Roundabout Question - Bromptonaut
In response to Spammy's post @ 15:56 today:-

This, except for the presence of a "rogue" 10 o'clock second exit serving a medium sized village, describes exactly the junction between the A5 & A43 at Towcester approached from the south. Local practice is firmly in favour of nearside to stay on the n/b A5 but every now and then there's some clever dicky who tries it from the offside lane.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 05/10/2009 at 21:33

If the road isn't marked otherwise, why shouldn't they...? Maybe its the first time they've used the roundabout, and wouldn't know about "local practice"
The rules of roundabouts can't rely on someone having to have prior knowledge of it.
Roundabout Question - Bromptonaut
Basic observation will show that the A5 is a single carriageway and (even if you're too fast to look over the roundabout) it more than likley that the n/b exit is only one vehicle wide.

So let me put it another way. In the absence of a known multi lane road it's foolhardy to use the offside lane to leave at the second main exit.
So, if its foolhardy, why don't they tell you not to do it in the Highway Code?
So if its foolhardy why don't they tell you not to do it in the
Highway Code?

>>
It doesnt tell you to use common sense either!
Roundabout Question - Andrew-T
The answer to this will depend on the various traffic flows. If say 40% of the traffic takes the first exit, it makes sense for the other 60% to use the right lane. If it's only 10% it makes sense for exit-1 AND exit-2 drivers to be in the left lane.

But anyone in the right lane wishing to use any exit after the first, should try to move to the left lane as he approaches his exit - especially if it's into a single-lane carriageway. That way these interesting conflicts can be reduced. Of course one may have to do a full 360° to have another try ...

Edited by Andrew-T on 05/10/2009 at 18:36

If you apply the "keep left unless overtaking" rule you should only be in the
right lane if turning right at the roundabout.

Fine by me. Plenty of folk can and do sit happily in the left hand lane and watch the more confident drivers breeze past in the under-used right hand lane...
Fine by me. Plenty of folk can and do sit happily in the left hand
lane and watch the more confident drivers breeze past in the under-used right hand lane...

>>

Dont worry, I have never been accused of holding up the traffic, and would probably be right laneing it past the mimsers. :-)
Roundabout Question - Brian Tryzers
As Lud said, the car in front takes priority, since what we have is a merge-in-turn situation. L'escargot's left-lane argument, if valid, would make an equally strong case for using the left lane for turning right.

That said, drivers need to apply some sensitivity: if it's clear that straight-on traffic is pootling across in the left lane, it would be crass and boorish to charge through on the right and force your way back in. But where a lot of traffic in the left lane is actually turning left, going straight on in the right smooths the flow across the junction and is the right thing to do.
Roundabout Question - daveyjp
If you do this and sense conflict simply carry on and do a lap of the roundabout. You may still be quicker than staying in the left hand lane.
Roundabout Question - old crocks
If you do this and sense conflict simply carry on and do a lap of
the roundabout. You may still be quicker than staying in the left hand lane.

I agree. Occasionally I have used the right hand lane and done an extra lap to turn left. How do BRs feel about that manoeuvre?
I agree. Occasionally I have used the right hand lane and done an extra lap
to turn left. How do BRs feel about that manoeuvre?

Queue jumping.
One more thing, left-laners: by all means use the left lane - I often do myself - but do please stay in it all the way across, and don't sloppily put two wheels into the right lane halfway over. That's bad form by any reading of the HC.
Roundabout Question - b308
I'd have said either as well for the OP, but with the rider that if the road I was joining on was clear I would use the left hand lane... try taking away the roundabout from the junction and you have a crossroads and at most crossroads left hand lane is for straight on and left turns and right hand lane for straight on and right turns...

BTW if there was only one lane exiting at 12 o'clock then I feel that the left and lane would be the correct lane... but I'd also expect the approach raod to be marked accordingly if there were two lanes...

You could always go right round the roundabout if no-one will let you off at your junction, though, that way you do have priority!!
Roundabout Question - Waino
In the case of the OP, my tendency would be to stick to the LH lane, only using the RH lane if turning right. On such roundabouts in this neck of the woods, you have to be very careful in the RH lane, even if turning right, because those in the LH lane who are going straight on frequently try to straighten their line and wander over to the RH lane. [I am talking about Suffolk].
Roundabout Question - bathtub tom
If you're in the RH lane and the roundabout has two lanes going round it, then you need to change lanes to exit. If you're changing lane, then I'd say it's up to you to give way.

Simples.

I wait to be proved wrong. ;>)
Again though, what if exit 2 was at 2 o'clock? You're turning right, but the situation is the same.
I don't think its relevant if you're turning "left" or "right" its the exit number that matters.
I also don't think you should avoid the right hand lane just because someone "might" veer into the wrong lane. I don't think you'd ever get in a car if you avoided everything that someone "might" do.
Another example then (are we getting bored yet!)
If I was approaching from the 6 o'clock turning to go straight ahead in the left lane (as advised by many) It is quite conceivable that someone a little quicker off the mark may have joined the roundabout from 9 o'clock to turn right into the 12 o'clock exit. I don't think there would be any dispute that they would be in the right hand lane?
There would be an identical situation at the 12 o'clock exit, with two cars in different lanes trying to exit on a single lane.
On the basis that this can (and does) happen. Why do you say that its safer in the left lane?
Roundabout Question - Altea Ego
Use the italian tecnique. Do it what ever way you want, just dont hit anyone.
Roundabout Question - David Horn
I was taught to use the left lane if able. But if there's someone ahead of me who's signalling a left turn, then I'll use the right hand lane and try not to hit them if they change their mind.

Can't stand people who use the right hand lane if I'm in the left and going straight on; a lot of the time they behave like they have right of way and just swerve across the roundabout to take the exit.
Roundabout Question - Andrew-T
joined the roundabout from 9 o'clock to turn right into the 12 o'clock exit.

Eh? which way round is your clock, Spam?
Oops!! I meant 3 o'clock! :-)
Roundabout Question - FotheringtonThomas
If there're two in, and one out, it's appropriate to use the inside lane only, to avoid the possibility of cutting someone up, or being rammed. More polite, too. Perhaps the information in an old HC has better detail, I'll look it up if I remember.
I see your point to an extent, but how do you know how many lanes are on the exit if you're not familiar with the roundabout?
You might not - people don't achieve 100% observation all the time - but if you don't know, go around again rather than cut someone up!
I didn't cut anyone up! There were trees in the centre of the roundabout, so its not possible to see how many exit lanes there were. In any case the procedure can be done safely with a single exit lane, as long as you use your common sense.
I didn't cut anyone up!

I did not say that you did.
In any case the
procedure can be done safely with a single exit lane as long as you use
your common sense.

I disagree with that the above statement is accurate, however.
Roundabout Question - OldSock
Approach in left-hand lane, brush centre island on way through, try to miss keep left bollard on exit....
Roundabout Question - ifithelps
And if you can get a bit of offside wheel lift, so much the better. :)

Edited by ifithelps on 05/10/2009 at 19:47

Roundabout Question - Ben 10
"There are two lanes to enter the roundabout, but only one on the exit at 12 o'clock."

I find that hard to believe. If there are two lanes ON the RAB then there will be 2 lanes on exit, gradually merging down to one lane further along the road. Thus allowing proper merging. Any merging in your scenario would lead to tailbacks on the RAB during times of congestion and an increased chance of collisions.
There are plenty of roundabouts with two lanes on the entry, and only one on the exit. Some have a merging lane, but certainly not all.
Roundabout Question - mr.freezer
If there is a queue in the left hand lane at 6 o'clock and a bit of congestion at the 12 o'clock exit, drive down the right lane with your right indicator on and go right round the roundabout exiting at 12 o'clock.

You may encounter a bit of road rage.
Roundabout Question - Armstrong Sid
Can I add a dangerous twist on this story, which is very prevalent in my local area (Nottingham) and may well appear in other places.

You go round a roundabout,eg from six o'clock to exit at twelve o'clock, and as you approach the exit you find that there is a pelican crossing about 10 yards inside the exit road. The Nottingham ring road has this setup on almost every exit road all the way round the ringroad, so that people who are unfamiliar with it will get into their exit lane, then suddenly discover they have to stop halfway in-half way out of the roundabout because of a pedestrian red light.

Which traffic planning genius thinks this is a good idea? It's downright dangerous with the rear end of cars suddenly stopping in the middle of roundabouts, causing gridlock until the lights go green.
Roundabout Question - Altarf
>>there is a pelican crossing about 10 yards inside the exit road.
>>they have to stop halfway in-half way out of the roundabout because of a pedestrian red light.

So you want the pelican crossing a further down the road so pedestrians have to walk further out of their way, so as not to inconvenience motorists. Fair enough, but don't be surprised when they decide to ignore the pedestrian crossing and just run across the road anyway.
Roundabout Question - Dave_TD
Going a looong way back up this thread:
They crash into each other and stop for an argument. Then both are lynched to death by motorists caught in the resulting tailback.

I've seen the first part happen before. What generally happens next is that the motorists caught in the tailback will blindly try to follow a path around the roundabout as close as possible to their previously intended one without hitting either of the now badly-parked damaged vehicles.

Up here in Leicestershire I've noticed an awful lot of big and not-so-big roundabouts are now marked out in a "spiral" fashion - if the lane markings are followed then one enters the roundabout from the right-hand lane and drifts across to the left lane before one's exit. Of course the problem with this is that the markings only have a 50% adherence rate amongst the traffic using them.

I've given up trying to follow the markings in heavy traffic on the Flying Horse island on the A511 as to do so would serious compromise the width of my car.
Roundabout Question - Nsar
This is all academic though, isn't it.

If you're in the outside lane, the twerp on the inside lane will simply drive across you anyway as soon as he sets off. It's the law now.

The real answer is that the right lane is the home of the "brisk" at roundabouts when you are going straight on. If you use it, it is your responsibility to drive with determination, alert to 1) the danger of the above and 2) the twerp who feels slighted by your assertive driving and decides to make something of it.
Roundabout Question - Bilboman
The key to roundabouts - or any other type of junction - is BEING AWARE OF OTHER DRIVERS AROUND YOU (something 50/75/99% of other drivers singularly fail to grasp, am I right, backroomers?) and for me a roundabout requires totally defensive driving, assuming the worst and being prepared to give way even to some twerp who is clearly not driving Queensberry rules.
At a "brisk" roundabout, I would use the RH lane if I saw a good chance to make progress without holding anyone up or doing anything which might be construed as queue jumping. If I realised I wasn't able to exit smoothly at 12 o'clock, I would quickly MSM, indicate right and go round again.
Roundabout Question - Cliff Pope
The OP's question related to a roundabout where there is only ONE exit lane at 12 o'clock. Unless there is a sign at the entrance to 6 warning of this, then first-timers might reasonably assume that the 2-lanes will be replicated at 12. So in that case they might well decide that lane 2 in and out will be OK.

The complications here though are 1) the OP knows there is only one exit lane, and 2) even if he doesn't, the queue in lane 1 might be a clue.
If that is so, then surely he is overtaking, rather than merely selecting the second of two available lanes? In which case, is it relevant that the HC says that you shouldn't overtake unless you can see your lane is clear ahead?

And what about the ambiguous rule of giving way to traffic approaching from the right on a roundabout?
I know there is only one exit lane now... but I didn't at the time.
On approach to the roundabout, you see a queue of cars in the left hand lane, but you have no way of knowing how many of them are turning left, and how many of them are going straight on.
The correct thing to do if you're going straight on in the left lane is not to indicate until you've passed exit 1. You might have a clue that the car at the back of the queue is going straight on, as he's not indicating, but he might still be going left. As to the intentions of the other cars in the queue, you have no way of knowing.
Surely it's more sensible to use the right hand lane, as long as the left laners allow you to merge. This frees up the left hand lane for the left turners. The idea of multiple lanes is to keep the traffic flowing, or we would only have one lane at roundabouts.
But unless there are two lanes on and two lanes OFF forby one should NOT be in the RH lane at all, if intending to turn left
ie. NO merging
Fine, go right around, 360 + 90 and peel off, takes a surprising amount of time though
Why do you say that? The highway code doesn't.
How do you know how many lanes are going to be on the exit?
How do you know how many lanes are going to be on the exit?

If you don't know, keep left. Then you won't end up cutting anyone up.
Spam, it does now sound like you asked the question in order to just justify your actions, rather than find out the correct answer.

It's clear that in the circumstances you outline, the left lane was the correct entry lane to use for the 12 o'clock exit. The fact that you didn't know that your intended exit had only one lane only compunds this, as it indicates that you should have kept left as a precaution, and also because it's what the Highway Code requires. Your lack of knowledge of the exit lanes does not justify your action, it only underlines that you took the incorrect lane. You assumed there would be two exit lanes, and there weren't. You made a mistake, not the other bloke. It's not the end of the world, though. We all do sometimes.

The only argument against this seems to be the "if you want to drive fast and are confident, go for it" approach. However, there is no caveat in the Highway Code which says: "It's OK to disregard the above rules if you think it'll help you get to your destination a smidge more quickly". What you did may be within the spirit of the road as it is perceived to exist by some, however it was not within the rules of the road, which was your original question, I believe.

The least worst option once you relised that there was only one exit lane would have been to go around the roundabout again and reposition yourself correctly for your required exit, not to speed up to get across the bows of the car which had been piloted on the correct course.

That's how it looks to me, leastways.
"The fact that you didn't know that your intended exit had only one lane only compunds this, as it indicates that you should have kept left as a precaution, and also because it's what the Highway Code requires"

Can you give me a link to the part of the highway code that says that? I don't think you'll be able to.
Can you give me a link to the part of the highway code that says
that? I don't think you'll be able to.

It's in the very simple diagramatic illustration on the link I already posted.

Also see:

www.theorytestadvice.co.uk/learn2drive/roundabouts...m - "How to proceed at a roundabout"

Quote - "Use the left lane unless it is a continuation of a dual carriageway or road markings show you that you should use a different lane." Neither applied in your case. The fact that there were no road markings indicated that there would likely be no second lane at your exit. So you should have kept left. If you'd done what you did on a driving test, you'd have failed. QED.

And where does it say that you may use the right lane and cut across people using the left lane? Nowhere, it's against common sense and every standard principle of roadcraft. If you don't know how many exit lanes there are, the correct approach is the cautious one, i.e keeping left, not tearing down the right hoping to muscle in if it goes against you. Proceed with caution is a standard principle of driving, surely you can't disagree with that? Not proceed in the fastest way possible and you'll probably get away with it.

Why are you so doggedly trying to justify yourself? We all learn from mistakes.
That's not the highway code, or the law though is it? Its a commercial web site. I'm not necessarily saying they (or you) are wrong, and that I'm right. I'm highlighting what I believe to be a grey area. The wording in the highway code regarding roundabouts is very wooly. It doesn't say you can, or can't do it.
I didn't "cut across" the person in the left lane, I arrived at the exit first, and there was plenty of room. If the car in the left lane was in front, I'd have adjusted my speed and pulled in behind him. As a previous poster pointed out, its a traffic merging situation.
As I said earlier, its possible another car will arrive at the exit at the same time as you if it has come from another junction, and will be in the right hand lane. The entry point of the cars is not really the issue.
My stance on this is that I don't really know who is right, which is why I asked the question in the first place. I'm only trying to clarify the law here.
I currently use the right hand lane sometimes, because I think I can, I don't see an issue with it, and as far as I am aware, its not against the law. It seems to work perfectly well. The guy that blew his horn at me wasn't doing it because he thought we were going to collide, he did it because he wasn't happy that he had joined a queue and I hadn't.
Roundabout Question - Badwolf
Very interesting thread, this. I follow the OP's method and use either left or right lane for straight on. Another poster mentioned the 'slingshot' technique of turning left by using the right lane and going all the way round the roundabout. This served me well when I worked as a bus driver for Arriva. Stuartli (and others) will know how busy the Kew roundabout in Southport gets and very frequently I used to approach a left turn in the right lane (Town Lane to Scarisbrick New Road) and do an orbit of the roundabout. This had two effects - 1) it saved me around five minutes and 2) it got all the old dears squawking that I was going the wrong way!

Another roundabout problem around here is people turning right onto a dual carriageway but using the left lane (ie six o'clock to three o'clock). I drive a school run in a coach where I turn right onto a dual carriageway from a single carriageway road that has two lanes at the throat of the junction and very often I'll get some numpty setting off on my inside to turn right alongside me. Now, I'm not about to let myself get forced into the outside lane of a dual carriageway as my acceleration is nowhere near as good as that of a car. Also, getting back into the inside lane will be tricky as this always happens at rush hour. So, I always (as long as there is no danger of a collision) signal left as I pass the last exit and drift over so that I exit in the inside lane. This generally causes said numpty in the inside lane (ie the twerp that's trying to undertake me on a roundabout) to sound his horn vigorously but I don't care as 1) he shouldn't be doing it and 2) my horn's louder than his! :-)

Cheers.
Roundabout Question - Stuartli
Whoever was responsible for the Kew roundabout (I've posted a council diagram of it in the past) should be hung, drawn and quartered....

I was always given to understand if you were going more than half-way round a roundabout you joined it on the inside lane and start to move across to the outside lane at the exit before the one you require.

I'm pretty sure too that this is the Roadcraft version.
Excellent answer Alanovitch
My thoughts exactly
Plus an excercise in plain old common sense
Your "thoughts" are not really the point though. The question is what does the law require you to do? The highway code says you can use either lane.
The question is what does the law
require you to do? The highway code says you can use either lane.

I don't believe the Higway Code is a law. It's a Code of Conduct.
Whoever was responsible for the Kew roundabout (I've posted a council diagram of it in
the past) should be hung drawn and quartered....

Agreed. And then they should have their remains fed to the lions.
I was always given to understand if you were going more than half-way round a
roundabout you joined it on the inside lane and start to move across to the
outside lane at the exit before the one you require.
I'm pretty sure too that this is the Roadcraft version.

I'm not too sure that I'm understanding this correctly. By 'inside lane' do you mean the one nearest to the actual middle of the roundabout? If that's the case, then that's the way I was taught too.
>> you joined it on the inside lane and start to move across to
the
>> outside lane at the exit before the one you require.
>>
>> >>

You can't join a roundabout on the inside lane, except by helicopter. You have to join on the outside, then move into the middle, then move out again.
>>You have to join on the outside, then move into the middle, then move out again.>>

Not if there are two approach lanes to a two-lane roundabout..:-)

Why not come and test your driving skills, levels of bravery and determination to succeed no matter what other motorists dish up, at the Kew roundabout on the outskirts of Southport?
This one?

tinyurl.com/yeghy7o
>>This one?>>

Yes, as I stated earlier we've discussed this particular roundabout in the forums a few weeks ago.

It may look innocuous at first glance, but the distance between all six junctions is only about three or four car lengths at most - to try and beat other motorists at each exit when coming from the inside lane, drivers almost invariably drive far too quickly seeking to cut across just in time to make their exit.

There are also a lot of incidents in which a driver waiting patiently to enter from a junction is suddenly rammed from behind by the following vehicle; this is due to the second driver watching for a gap and putting his/her foot down when one arrives, having forgotten about the vehicle in front...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 06/10/2009 at 14:36

>>This one?>>
Yes

Good thing it's not in Wales.
>>Good thing it's not in Wales.>>

Out of curiosity, why?
You'd have to drive around for a few minutes to realise why, boyo.
>>You have to join on the outside then move into the middle then move out
again.>>
Not if there are two approach lanes to a two-lane roundabout..:-)

Whichever approach lane you use, you have to cross the outer lane of the roundabout if you want to get to the inside.
That's two lane crossings to turn right, none to turn left, and either one or two to go straight on.
>>you have to cross the outer lane of the roundabout if you want to get to the inside>>

This is the problem with responding to a point of which you are not aware of the full facts.

There aren't two marked lanes on this roundabout, but one lane more than wide enough for two vehicles abreast and the "lanes" are created by drivers themselves (the roundabout was "reduced" in size by hatched markings around the actual roundabout in a measure by the council to try and cut back the speed of the traffic).

It's the approach roads that have two lanes...:-)
>>By 'inside lane' do you mean the one nearest to the actual middle of the roundabout? If that's the case, then that's the way I was taught too. >>

That's exactly what I mean.
But using that logic, how would you deal with :-

You approach a roundabout at 6 o'clock. There are exits at 8 o'clock, 9 o'clock 11 o'clock and 3 o'clock. You wish to take the 11 o'clock exit (less than half way round)
Would you stay in the left lane and drive past two exits before taking your turning?
I think you'd use the right lane.
I think you'd use the right lane.

I'm not sure that I would, to be honest. Obviously, it would depend on what the queue was like in the left lane but if the roads were quiet I'd probably just stay in the left lane as I'm not going more than halfway around the roundabout.

At the end of the day, the advice given in Rule 186 is as follows:

"186
Signals and position.

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise:

* signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
* keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise:

* signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
* keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
* signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise:

* select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
* you should not normally need to signal on approach
* stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
* signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it."

As you can see, there is no hard and fast rule about which lane to use for the intermediate exits. So, no one lane is correct. Common sense rules here which is unfortunate as many drivers these days seem to suffer a paucity of this quality...

Quite probably. But that's not what you asked.
I think this question is very similar to that of "queueing when two lanes reduce to one at roadworks".

No doubt the 'use the RH lane to go straight on' crowd would also advocate the 'use the RH lane and zip-merge at the pinch point' method...
Well, yes. As the 'zip-merge' method is used widely on the Continent and is starting to be used here (you sometimes see signs indicating that you should do this) I don't see a problem.

Obviously, stonking down the right lane and then barging your way in is wrong. But I wouldn't do this, just as I wouldn't drive like this on a roundabout. As in all things, there is a polite way to do things and a rude and confrontational way to do things.
Roundabout Question - Ben10
N/S lane from 6 o'clock for 9 o'clock or 12 o'clock. If there is only one lane on exit at 12 o'clock then it is obvious to exit at 3 o'clock or u turn to 6 o'clock the other lane on the RAB should left free to do this. Using the second lane to exit at 12 o'clock and attempt to merge will only cause grief.
The only reason anyone would want to do this is to queue jump, as they should be in lane one to exit for 12 o'clock well in time on approach to RAB at 6 o'clock.

Clocking hell! I'm all clocked out.
"The only reason anyone would want to do this is to queue jump"

I prefer to call it "making progress" You can sit in the queue if you want and make it worse, but I'd prefer to get where I want to go, safely and legally.
There is no law against "queue jumping" as such. You might think its unfair that you've queued and someone else hasn't, but if we all made use of the available lanes, it would reduce congestion.
Well Spam, if you think it's OK to perform a manoeuvre which would likely see you fail a driving test and is likely to often end up cutting across another driver's path unexpectedly, then carry on. I'm wasting the skin off my fingertips.

You seem to be getting hung up on the terms "legal" and "legally". There are laws about drving dangerously, but no laws about which lanes to stay in. No-one was ever prosecuted for the offence of "Driving in the Wrong Lane". Perhaps "Driving Without Due Care and Attention" would cover it though. So legality is neither here nor there.

So you are right that you are breaking no law in the manoeuvre you propose in and of itself, however were an accident to occur and someone be killed, I fear you may find yourself under a charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

If you want to proceed safely as you say, I'd think that the cautious approach of staying left is the best method, rather than going right and guessing that it'll all turn out fine.

The statement that you prefer to call it "making progress" would not be one that I would like to make in front of a Magistrate or Judge.
Spam
"but if we all made use of the available lanes,"

But you said there isn't an available lane on exit at 12 o'clock. One lane, one line of traffic. You are just being anti social because YOU butting in at last moment trying to get where YOU want to go, stuff everyone else, could prevent others from getting around the RAB to 3 o'clock. You are just cheesing off so many people by your actions. Your trollishness is starting to appear ;-)
But you are making use of the right hand lane on approach to the roundabout, and decreasing the queue in the left lane.
I certainly didn't but in, or cut anyone up. I'm not sure why you think I was.
As a previous poster said. Why is this different from two lanes merging?
I suspect you're the sort that would happily merge without incident with someone that had come all the way round the roundabout, but would try and block someone from safely merging if you thought they'd come from the same junction as you!
As a previous poster said. Why is this different from two lanes merging?

Because it's akin to someone in the outside lane of a two-lane road suddenly cutting across the nose of someone in the inside lane and disappearing off along a side-road.
I'll say it again..... I didn't cut in!
I have not said that you did.
I don't think you would fail a driving test for it. Its only likely to end up cutting across another drivers path, if you perform the manoeuvre in that way. Carried out safely by a good driver, I see no problem with it.
I don't suppose there is a specific offence of "driving in the wrong lane" but I think we'd all agree that turning left from the right hand lane is wrong for example, and you would be prosecuted.
Would you be prosecuted for going straight ahead at a roundabout? Not specifically no, as it is a perfectly valid procedure. If however you raced round the roundabout to try and get past someone and cut them up, I'm sure you would.

What we have learnt from this thread, is that this isn't a clearly defined procedure, and it depends on circumstances and discretion. Whichever lane you choose, you should be wary of others who may have made a different choice. Its not difficult to merge safely, and easily, and actually both methods are correct.

With regard to "making progress" this is something that is given much more emphasis with motorcycle training and advanced driving. Its all about being confident, and not holding other people up! Its not about driving agressively and cutting people up in the process. It is a term in very common use. You should google it!
Spam, this is what you posted on the Fog lights thread.

"I don't think its boring, or irrelevant to be concerned about other peoples mindless, and ill thought out actions, which put other peoples lives in danger."
Well spotted.....? And your point is?
Presumably, and fairly obviously, that what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander, too.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 06/10/2009 at 14:22

Carried out safely by a good driver I see no problem with it.

I don't think that this can be an entirely safe manoeuvre. I do not think that a good driver would normally contemplate such a manoeuvre.
Mr. X reincarnated. ?
In that case. Why doesn't it say that you shouldn't do it in the highway code? It makes it clear about the lanes for left or right, but not for straight on.
Its down to the driver to decide if its safe and appropriate to do so.
Why doesn't it say that you shouldn't do it in the highway code?

It's a guide, AFAIK.

Its down to the driver to decide if its safe and appropriate to do so.

Yes. I don't think that a good driver would normally consider this either safe or appropriate.

Why are you apparently getting wound up about this? Is your wife reading it? ;)
With regard to "making progress" this is something that is given much more emphasis with
motorcycle training and advanced driving. Its all about being confident and not holding other people
up! Its not about driving agressively and cutting people up in the process. It is
a term in very common use. You should google it!

I think the expression you're looking for is "making sufficient progress", which is entirely different.

I fail to see how your original scenario is in any way related to not holding others up, apart from yourself and, as someone else said, the traffic behind you which wants to go to 3 o'clock, in whose lane you are.

There is nothing clearer on the subject than the illustration of a roundabout in the Highway Code. It bears no interpretation nor misunderstanding. Left lane for 12 o'clock.

Either you've got the blinkers on or I'm being had. I'll withdraw from banging my head against a brick wall at this point.
Maybe its clear to you, but then perhaps you're not reading it properly. The diagram does indeed show a car using the left lane, but it doesn't say this is the only way to do it!
In fact the text says :-

"When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
you should not normally need to signal on approach
stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want"

It also goes on to say

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

pedestrians who may be crossing the approach and exit roads
traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit

I've read it properly and it says you can do it either way as long as you are in the "appropriate" lane. The word "appropriate" is what we are discussing here. This implies there are some situations where you should use the left lane, and some where you would use the right. You seem to think it is the left lane at all times, and yes... if you want to use a one size fits all approach, you can carry on doing that. For those us us that prefer to think however.........
there are some situations where you should use the left lane and
some where you would use the right.

Yes. And in your situation you should have used the left, it was the appropriate lane BECAUSE THERE WERE NOT TWO EXIT LANES AT 12 AND ESPECIALLY BECAUSE YOU DID NOT KNOW THIS. Sorry for shouting.

The right lane will only ever be appropriate if the exit road you're taking has two lanes and you know that be the case in advance.

Why bother asking the quesition if you think you knew the answer all the time? Poor old Mrs Spam.

I do not concede the point, I have said everything I can, I do not agree with you. I think your approach is dangerous, ill conceived, ill mannered and lacking in common sense. Plenty of thinking for you there.

That really is the last from me on the subject.
The right lane will only ever be appropriate if the exit road you're taking has
two lanes and you know that be the case in advance.

Not always. There is an island near me, specifically marked where the 2 approach lanes say straight on is OK, and yet there is only 1 exit lane.

Truthfully, few use the right hand lane in this way, as negotiating the exit is too much of a pain, mostly due to arrogant sorts who seek to block their path. See also: the thread about people deliberately blocking overtaking...

Other cases where it makes sense: where you know the driver in the LH lane is very slow and you reasonably want to pass. Can't see anything wrong with that at all.
Oil B, we're talking about roundabouts where there are no signs nor road markings indicating which lane to use. Of course one should use the indicated lanes where there are markings.
Of course, but you seem to be saying very clearly "the right hand lane is only appropriate if there are two exit lanes", which is not always the case, markings or not.
That's precisely where we disagree then.
I asked the question, as I wasn't sure, and I'm still not sure what the official procedure is. I was very sure that I was right, but I began to have doubts. Its very healthy to continue to question what you do don't you think?
I've never done an advanced driving test, what would the IAM teach?
I'm sorry you're clearly getting upset by the debate. I was finding it rather interesting. I find it fascinating that we've probably all driven thousands of miles, and negotiated thousands of roundabouts, over many many years and we can disagree on something that should be clear cut. I was just curious to nail down the point.
I'm very happy to be proved wrong, and if I am, I will stop doing it. You haven't convinced me of this, in fact, by your hasty exit from the debate after being presented with clear evidence, I'm not sure you've convinced yourself either!

I've never done an advanced driving test what would the IAM teach?

They teach that the use of the RH lane for straight on is perfectly acceptable, but you must use extra caution in exiting the roundabout, and be prepared to circle and come back if you cannot merge safely and courteously. Obviously you should take into account any lane markings on the road or sign posts in this matter.

Edit: to further emphasis this, the IAM also teach that one should make the best progress possible within the law (i.e. no pointless queuing!!!) and without creating danger or alienating other motorists. By this standard RH lane for straight on is no problem, as long as precautions as above are taken.

However, whether you take much notice of the IAM or not is another matter... ;)

Edited by TheOilBurner on 06/10/2009 at 15:25

Here's a thought for anyone who believe that "thou must always use the LH lane for straight on, to use the RH is rude, akin to jumping a queue". Consider this...

You're on a dual carriageway and you're approaching an island where you want to go straight on.

There are 6 cars waiting in the LH lane, none in the RH lane.

There are no signs on the roundabout indicating that you *must* use the LH lane or *cannot* use the RH lane for straight on, and the roundabout itself looks plenty big enough for two or more cars to go round safely.

You know the roundabout, and are aware that their are 2 exits on the other side for straight on.

Would you:

a) use the LH lane because you don't wont to queue jump

or

b) use the RH lane, because it's not only allowed, but it will also speed your journey and stop the pointless queue getting any longer.

I've been in this situation many times on the A5 after the M54. Many people seem to take option a, and I can't understand why. I always go for option b.

To draw an analogy (alluded to above), you're in a supermarket with 2 tills. There is person serving at both tills. There is a queue of 6 people waiting at till 1 and no queue at all at till 2.

Do you join the queue for till 1 or go to till 2?

There you have your answer to the roundabout dilemma...
Well said, that man.
Well put that man! (was feeling a bit out on a limb there!)
I think most situations where it would be inappropriate or dangerous to use the right hand lane for going straight on ,are usually covered by road markings showing the right lane is for right turnings only.
Where the road isn't marked it tends to be on quieter roundabouts (like the one I was on) where merging isn't a problem.

Or indeed busier roundabouts, where they sometimes try to mark both lanes clearly for straight on to try and discourage the needless queues... :)

As long as there's room to merge or there's two or more exit lanes, it shouldn't be a problem.
OK, you've hooked me back in. Oil Burner's post, which you like, is about exits with two lanes specifically. Yours had one lane.
I'm generally in the Spam camp and agree with his interpretation of Rules 185 and 186 of the Highway Code but personally would use the LH lane unless I knew or reasonably expected there to be two lanes going off the roundabout. Mainly because I try to avoid conflict.
Well Spam, I don't expect you thought you'd get quite so many responses!

In the example that myself and Stuartli have alluded to (maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocod...u
ndabout+southport&sll=53.627819,-3.006048&sspn=0.01214,0.027423&g=Kew+
Rd,+Southport,+Merseyside+PR8,+United+Kingdom&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Kew,+S
outhport,+Sefton+PR8+6,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.633421,-2.970053&spn=0.00
1517,0.003428&t=h&z=18)
the roundabout is actually marked to say that you can use both lanes if you're approaching from the South (ie the bottom of the map) and wish to go along the A570 Scarisbrick New Road. This exit is at 11 o'clock and therefore not past the 'magic' twelve o'clock.

I wonder if, faced with this stuation, Alanovich would continue to use the left lane despite the road markings, purely because to do so would be entirely out of his comfort zone and enrage his sensibilities? :-)
Of course not. I've said so several times. Follow the markings when they're there, if there are no markings keep left if turning at 12 or earlier. Exception: where there are no turnings after 12.

Simple, no?
"keep left if turning at 12 or earlier"

Why does it matter at what number of the clock face the turning is?

I asked this earlier, but didn't get a response.....

If you apprach a roundabout at 6 o'clock and there is an exit at 8 o'clock, another at 9 o'clock, another at 11 o'clcok and another at 3 o'clock

Would you go in the left lane to take the 11 o'clock turning (assuming no road markings)

It's before 12 o'clock, but you'd probably get t-boned at the 9 o'clock exit!
Assuming no markings, yes. It's how I was taught by my driving instructor, who got me through the test first time. I can not imagine why you would think I'd get "T-boned" by anyone other than a blind person.
Simply because other traffic coming round the roundabout wanting to exit at 9 o'clock will see you in the left lane and expect you to be turning left. They will not expect you to cut across their bows and continue round to the next exit.
Highway Code tells you never to start moving until you are *SURE* that your path is clear. To me, that's once any traffic I might hit has either turned or passed me by. However long it takes. If anyone hit me, it's on them. They're the ones doing the worng thing. I don't even turn right out of a junction if the approaching traffic to my right is indicating a left turn into the junction I am exiting. How do I know their indicators arent' bust, or simply haven't been cancelled for whatever reason? Do you rely on other cars' indicators 100%? You sound a very impatient driver, Spam.
Its not about being impaitent. Its about using the correct lane. Using your method, you could safely negotiate the whole roundabout in the left lane.
Other traffic coming round the roundabout, will expect any cars they see in the left lane to be taking the next exit, not to be continuing round.
I'm certainly not "impatient" and I make as few assumptions as I can, but I think that being in the left hand lane of a roundabout signals your intention to take the next exit.
It sounds like you're the dangerous one in this situation.
Spam, the first four lines of that are just plain daft. Using that logic, you're saying that you should always enter a roundabout from the right hand lane unless you're taking the first exit. Which ain't right, of course.
No, I'm saying first or second only. Using it for the third is just plain dangerous!
I wouldn't use the left lane for the second unless I could get past the first exit very quickly.
I wouldn't use the left lane for the second unless I could get past the first exit very quickly.

I was with you Spam until that last comment..... now I'm worried!
I have to say, the IAM wouldn't condone that, but then, maybe, just maybe there are some roundabouts where that does make sense, although usually it would be signed so.
Sorry, let me clarify... if it was a small roundabout, and I'd get past turn one within a few yards, I'd use the left lane.
If it was a large roundabout, and there is a good chance that other traffic on the roundabout might catch me up before I'd got to exit 1, I wouldn't fancy crossing the mouth of exit 1 in the left lane. I'd be much safer in the right lane.
I think you're just digging a bigger hole! Are you trying to avoid a collision with someone just like you but more assertive?

Edited by old crocks on 06/10/2009 at 16:17

No. I'm saying that potentially, by the time you get to exit 1, someone else may have caught you up, who's going round the roundabout in the right hand lane. They will not expect you to be passing an exit in the left lane. If you're in the left lane, they will expect you to be taking the next exit. You will then cut across in front of them and cause an accident.
Isn't this obvious!!?
I understand the risk but they would be at fault.

The fact that you were not indicating left should tell them that you are not taking that exit. And if they are coming from behind you it is up to them to make sure their manoeuvre is safe.
No, it would be your fault. The fact that you were in the left lane would put you at fault.
Using your logic, why don't you use the left hand lane all the way round?
You're seriously suggesting that someone can be held responsible for someone else running in to them from behind? Ask your insurance company about that.
Think about what you're saying. You're in the left lane and passing an exit on a roundabout. Cars in the right lane will assume you're going to turn off. You will then cut in front of them and be hit on your drivers door.
It would be very clearly your fault, as you would be in the wrong lane, and your road positioning would be misleading the driver that hit you.
Roundabout Question - maz64
You're in the left lane and passing an exit on
a roundabout. Cars in the right lane will assume you're going to turn off.

That's not the case for many roundabouts I drive through, where it's not unusual for cars in the left hand lane to (correctly AFAIK) go past an exit.
Sorry, but that's codswallop.
Sorry but that's codswallop.

No it isn't. You are welcome to come over to Reading and watch.
>> Sorry but that's codswallop.
No it isn't. You are welcome to come over to Reading and watch.

Hm. The post was:
You're in the left lane and passing an exit on
a roundabout. Cars in the right lane will assume you're going to turn off.

Yes, you're right, it's not codswallop, they will - but they (or rather, the drivers) should not.
>> You're in the left lane and passing an exit on
>> a roundabout. Cars in the right lane will assume you're going to turn off.
Yes you're right it's not codswallop they will - but they (or rather the drivers)
should not.

If I was one of said drivers in right lane, if the left lane driver had just entered the roundabout and wasn't indicating, I would assume they were going straight on (and I would think that was ok).

If they carried on passing exits in the left lane, I would start to assume that they were lost and/or a bad driver.

It can depend on the roundabout - some exits can be classed as 'minor' eg. sometimes you can have a sub-b-road off a roundabout which includes motorway slip roads. You might be more likely to assume a driver in the left lane is going to go past one of those.

Edited by Focus {P} on 06/10/2009 at 18:09

No it would be your fault. The fact that you were in the left lane would put you at fault.
Using your logic why don't you use the left hand lane all the way round?

Because the HC says use the RH lane and indicate Right.
So regardless of the number of exits before 12 o'clock you'd drive past them all in the left lane?
What is it that magically happens at 12 o'clock?

So regardless of the number of exits before 12 o'clock you'd drive past them all in the left lane?
What is it that magically happens at 12 o'clock?

Not at all!

You were talking about passing Exit 1
Err no I wasn't. Please read the situation again. In the example I gave, you were going straight ahead at the roundabout (12 o'clock) which was the third turning, which you said you'd do in the left lane.
We're talking about passing exit 2.
Err no I wasn't. Please read the situation again. In the example I gave you
were going straight ahead at the roundabout (12 o'clock) which was the third turning which
you said you'd do in the left lane.
We're talking about passing exit 2.

Sorry Spam we're confusing two scenarios. I know a lot of people seemed to be against you so I came in to offer some support.

However at 1456 you said " I wouldn't use the left lane for the second unless I could get past the first exit very quickly. "

All my subsequent comments were about passing Exit 1 to leave at Exit 2, all from the lefthand lane.

If a car comes from behind, hasn't seen where I entered the roundabout, hasn't noticed my lack of indication and then hits me as I pass Exit 1 he is entirely to blame. I did everything by the book.
Sorry I've perhaps confused the issue by bringing in other examples.
Depending on the exact situation I might agree with you, but depending on the size and position of the roundabout, if you got side swiped while passing exit 1, this could well be because you pulled out in front of the car coming round the roundabout.

Also..... if he's coming from the right and you're just emerging from your entry point, how would he see the status of your left indicator?
Also..... if he's coming from the right and you're just emerging from your entry point
how would he see the status of your left indicator?

If he can't see then he should make safe assumption, not the one that suits him.

Anyway after an hour and a half talking at cross purposes I need to go and do something else.

I'm off to see The Zombies tonight, hope I don't see too many on the road!
Are you trying to avoid a collision with someone just like you but more assertive?

He's had a "discussion" wth his better half. Now proof is necessary, but not forthcoming. So - yup.
I'd say I've got at least as many people on my side, with this discussion.
As previously stated, I'm actually not worried if I'm wrong, I'd just like to know if I am or not.
I'd say I've got at least as many people on my side with this discussion.

What you say seems to be irrelevant.

As previously stated I'm actually not worried if I'm wrong I'd just like to know
if I am or not.

You are, and keep on proving it.
I make as few assumptions as I can but I
think that being in the left hand lane of a roundabout signals your intention to
take the next exit.

For one who makes few assumptions, that one's a singularly bad one to make.

It sounds like you're the dangerous one in this situation.

Don't be silly.
Driving across roundabout exits in the left lane isn't dangerous.....?

Are you serious?
I make as few assumptions as I can but I
think that being in the left hand lane of a roundabout signals your intention to
take the next exit.

For one who makes few assumptions, that one's a singularly bad one to make.
>>It's before 12 o'clock, but you'd probably get t-boned at the 9 o'clock exit!>>

That's why you indicate you are turning right throughout the earlier junctions until just before the "11 o'clock" exit.

That way drivers on your inside lane of the roundabout and those waiting to come out of approaching junctions are aware of your intentions.
Yes.
That's why you indicate you are turning right throughout the earlier junctions until just before the "11 o'clock" exit.

That way drivers on your inside lane of the roundabout and those waiting to come out of approaching junctions are aware of your intentions.

Pardon?? You approach a roundabout in the left lane, signal right and then go straight on? How is that anything but confusing and dangerous? It certainly doesn't feature in any version of the HC from the last 30 years.
How is that anything but confusing and dangerous? >>

I was, in fact, referring to the Kew roundabout (a perfect circle) because, as I keep stating, the exits are very close to each other..:-)
Unfortunately FotheringtonThomas's link is out of date compared to the present day markings.

Badwolf {P} point is a very good one (I use the outside lane of what are, in fact, three approach lanes (!) at this particular junction and move onto the "inside" lane of the roundabout, indicating I'm going to go left just before the exit into Scarisbrick New Road prior to joining Meols Cop Road. This is because, in this case, it's more than half way round the roundabout to my exit.

Much of the reason for the sheer chaos that arises, especially in the summer when so many visitors arrive by car who are new to the area and the wonder that is Kew roundabout, is that there are too many retail outlets and businesses in the immediate vicinity, including one of the UK's busiest Tesco Extra outlets.

By the way, Badwolf {P}, haven't you heard of TinyURL? ..:-)
By the way Badwolf {P} haven't you heard of TinyURL? ..:-)

Indeed I have, I just had a blonde moment! :-)
You're on a dual carriageway and you're approaching an island where you want to go
straight on.
There are 6 cars waiting in the LH lane none in the RH lane.
There are no signs on the roundabout indicating that you *must* use the LH lane
or *cannot* use the RH lane for straight on and the roundabout itself looks plenty
big enough for two or more cars to go round safely.
You know the roundabout and are aware that their are 2 exits on the other
side for straight on.

Use either lane. Note, this is a quite different question from the original one.
Quite so, FT. Preciseamundo, in fact.
Sorry, Alanovich, I was trying to edit my earlier post when you replied to it.

The roundabout I am talking about can be seen here: tinyurl.com/yemrpvo

I take your point about not using the outside lane at the throat of the junction to go straight on if there are no arrows to tell you that you can. However, there are also no markings to tell you that you can't! If I don't know the area, and there are no markings and a large queue of traffic on the left I will always use the right lane to go straight ahead. There is nothing in law telling me that I cannot do this. I understand what you are saying about a potential collision, but surely you are being a tad over-dramatic saying that such a collision could result in a charge of dangerous or careless driving?
It's the same link and equally out of date...:-)
D'oh! I thought that, actually, when I saw the hatchings on the outside of the roundabout rather than on the inside where they are now. And still I posted the link! Definitely having a 'hard of thinking' day today!
Ok, so now adjust my scenario a little.

Instead of two exit lanes, now think of it as having one wide exit lane, specifically designed to allow space and time for cars to merge.

Is it really so different?
I'm not trying to discuss your hypotheticals, OB. I'm addressing the original question in which I believe the OP was wrong in executing this manoeuvre as described, particualrly as he was not familiar with the roundabout.

So the width of the exit is neither here nor there, the OP clearly stated he had no sight of the 12 o'clock exit and yet still chose the potentially more dangerous method to negotiate the roundabout. I think that's pretty clear.
We weren't there sadly. We don't know whether the horn was blown out of spite for so-called queue jumping or because spam cut in dangerously.

I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, because on paper, I'd say their manoeuvre was not dangerous, if carried out sensibly. And that's referring to the original question, which I think my hypothetical is very relevant to, if you follow the logic through, IMHO.
Yes, please also bear in mind that the original question was a hypothetical, based on the real incident. I used in my example, the two cars arriving at the exit together, simply to establish the who has right of way question.
In the actual incident, I arrived at the junction a very safe distance in front of the other car. He was actually accelerating very hard to try and "get me back" as he'd been stuck behind other traffic turning left.
>>Is it really so different?>>

Yes, because as I've mentioned previously, the distance between each junction is remarkably small in view of the size of the roundabout.

The only way to learn of the stress of using this roundabout at busy times (most of the day) is to experience it for yourself.
The only way to learn of the stress of using this roundabout at busy times
(most of the day) is to experience it for yourself.

That's a fair point, some roundabouts are different and blindly following the rules won't work, especially when they're busy.

I agree with you on that.
I can remember my first (proper) driving lesson very vividly. It was a dull, foggy day and my instructor picked me up from outside the Sixth Form College on Scarisbrick New Road and then gleefully informed me thatI would be negotiating Kew roundabout. Sink or swim! :-)

[i]{EDIT - I swam!}[/i]
Oh 'eck - help! Mods, I thought I'd done the italics thingy right?
>>..and then gleefully informed me..>>

That's masochistic beyond belief....

Incidentally at least one of my other half's friends, who has been driving for many years, will not go within 100 yards of Kew roundabout under any circumstances.
>>..and then gleefully informed me..>>
That's masochistic beyond belief....

But it worked. Gave me the confidence to tackle the infernal thing. SWMBO will happily drive round it, though I tend to keep my fingers crossed and my eyes tightly closed when she does.... :-)
It exemplifies bad road congestion
Caused by maniacs, mimsers and chancers,
When a guy asks a roundabout question
And gets hundreds of roundabout answers.
It exemplifies bad road congestion
Caused by maniacs mimsers and chancers
When a guy asks a roundabout question
And gets hundreds of roundabout answers.

That should be last word but it won't be so I'll add one more post to congratulate you.
I chuckled out loud.
Roundabout Question - b308
Blimey, over 150 posts! Didn't know it was so contentious!
It should all really end round about now...:-)
It isn't, the OP seems to've descended into trolling.
Sorry you think that, I would say I've been trying to put forward my point of view and provoke discussion. You don't seem to be offering a defence to my arguments to convince me. I guess we've done it to death now, and we'll never agree.
I still say I'm right, and the Highway Code says its ok (as long as its appropriate)

In summary, I never said it was the correct thing to do in all cases, and neither does the highway code. You seem to think that it is never ok to use the right hand lane, but you can't back that up with any facts.

I'm happy to carry on with the way I'm driving, as I'm sure you are.

If you're done with this thread, please feel free to stop posting. I have no wish to upset anyone with this thread, but as I started it, I feel its my place to defend my position.
There are plenty of other threads on this forum if you don't like this one.

Spam, you shouldn't have done what you did in your original question because, as you said yourself, you couldn't see the opposite side of the roundabout. Given your obscured view, you should have taken the more cautious approach of entering the roundabout in the left lane, even if that meant joining a queue to do so. Using the right and hoping you could merge safely at the other side was slightly reckless as you didn't know you would be able to safely merge. I think that's the crux of the matter, and no amount of pontificating about other hypothetical scenarios will change that.

I am prepared to concede that, given the input from Oil Burner around the IAM's position, it may be sometimes OK to use the right lane to enter a roundabout to get to 12 o'clock (or the "straight ahead" exit, whatever you want to call it) when the road layout and weight of traffic combine to make it safe to merge when you get there, but the general rule is surely to use the left when you don't know what will face you at the exit. And in the example of your original question, that's what you should have done. The Highway Code does seem not to cover every situation precisely, it's only a code after all, but using the general principles of road use and common sense, you should have used the left.
Well, we will just have to agree to disagree, I was there, and deemed it to be a perfectly safe move, which it was, as I merged correctly. The other driver was irritated, but not because I cut him up, as I was a long way away from him. He was annoyed that he had queued and I had not. He was accelerating as hard as he could, but I correctly judged that he wouldn't even get close. If he'd had a more powerful car, he probably would have made it, and I'd have simply adjusted my speed to go in behind him.
At all times, I was aware of his speed and position, and had an escape route if things hadn't gone to plan. The other driver was well aware of my intentions as I indicated left by exit 1. It was actually his lack of tolerance that caused the situation to become aggressive.
I'm quite sure if the authorities deemed my move to be dangerous on this particular roundabout, they would have painted an arrow for right turn only in the right hand lane.
The problem is not with how you merged (as you have described it anyway, two sides to every story and all that), it is the decision you took to take the "racing" line when you could not see beyond the roundabout. You were lucky that the situation turned out to be one in which you could merge safely, and did so. It could easily have been otherwise. You assumed. Have you never heard: "Never assume, it makes an ass of u and me"?

Your interpretation of the other drivers feelings is purely speculation, and anyway, his emotions are irrelevant to the main point, which is that, I think, in the situation as you outlined it, you made the wrong call but got lucky. So I still think your judgement was wrong.

You say you indicated left by exit 1 - perhaps this is what upset the other driver, as this makes it sound like you indicated to turn for exit 1, but then took exit 2. Did you word that badly? If you'd entered the roundabout in the RH lane and indicated left by exit 1 (which can only mean before it), then no wonder someone got a bit upset.

If you are so sure of your rectitude, I wonder why you asked the question in the first place? And why do you keep telling us you're prepared to be proven wrong when it appears you are not prepared to accept a differing view?
It's not a "racing line". You could actually go through the roundabout quicker from the left hand lane, as its a straighter line.
I made no assumptions, I was happy that I could merge, and I did. There was no luck about it.
When I say "by exit 1" I do of course mean as I passed it, rather than before it. My road positioning and indication made my intentions very clear.

If the other driver had observed the highway code, he would have noted that

"In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

traffic crossing in front of you on the roundabout, especially vehicles intending to leave by the next exit "

I asked the question in the first place, as clearly the other driver was irritated, and my wife questioned the fact that I'd used the RH lane. Before posting on here, I asked a numer of friends on their opinion, and I think probably 8/10 agreed with me, but a couple didn't. I thought it would be interesting to open up the debate to a larger number of people to get a general view, and (as expected) we've found a similar situation on here.
I am indeed prepared to be proved wrong, (something you haven't done yet) I wouldn't have asked the question if I wanted to live in ignorance.
You have already now admitted that there are times when it is acceptable, not because you understand why, but because you think the IAM endorse it. So maybe this thread had taught you something, as you would not accept that earlier. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that in many ways we actually agree with each other now!
It would be interesting to get the opinions of more people on this, as the thread has now unfortunately regressed into a tit for tat argument, rather than trying to establish how we actually make the decision on using the right hand lane (or not). I know there are a lot of people out there that agree with me.

I made no assumptions I was happy that I could merge and I did. There
was no luck about it.

Really? How did you know you would be able to merge safely, when you couldn't see the exit for the trees on the roundabout?
The same way I merge with traffic in a situation where two lanes merge into one. By making a judgement on the speed and direction of other traffic, and altering my speed to be able to merge safely. Its not a difficult skill! Merging with another lane is something you are required to do often.
I didn't ask you how you merged safely.

I asked how you knew you would be able to merge safely, before opting for the right hand lane. As you didn't know (because you couldn't see that far), you took a risk you didn't need to take, but one you wanted to take, simply to avoid a queue. Not a good approach. You keep evading and failing to answer this most pertinent question. What you did is like overtaking on the brow of a hill, or on a blind bend. You went past another vehicle without knowing whether you'd be able to safely get back in front of it as you couldn't see where you were going.

Seems to me you are simply trying to justify risk taking on the grounds of not wanting to queue with other motorists who were behaving properly.
"What you did is like overtaking on the brow of a hill, or on a blind bend."

What an awful analogy! Overtaking on the brow of a hill, or a blind bend is dangerous because you don't know what's coming the other way. With the situation we are talking about, all the traffic is moving in the same direction.
Even if for some reason I did misjudge it, which is unlikely, but possible, I have the contingency of continuing round the roundabout. I've never had to do this, but the option is there.
You didn't know what was around the corner either. Traffic coming the other way is unlikely, but have you never heard of pedestrians? You might have had to brake for one crossing your exit, and adjust your course leading to a collision. Or you might just have run them over.

Answer the question. How did you know you would be able to merge safely when you couldn't see where you were going?
I think you're clutching at straws now. You could apply that logic to a huge number of situations where a pedestrian steps out, and you have to alter your speed or course.

In the right hand lane I have the contingency plan of continuing round. Where's yours in the left hand lane?
Would the guy in the left lane know he could take his exit safely before he joined the roundabout? Of course not!
I don't need to be able to see the whole roundabout to make a judgement about which lane I select.
And I think you must be Peter Mandelson. Can't answer a simple question.

You may have ended up in a situation where you were competing with another car for the exit, if that driver had foolishly decided to match your speed, thus making it less likely that you would use your contingency and go around, or at least making it difficult for you to do so.

Would the guy in the left lane know he could take his exit safely before he joined the roundabout? He is as sure as he can be, you were not as you put yourself in an overtaking situation without knowing the lie of the road around the bend.

You chose a less safe option than was available to you for negotiating a roundabout around or across which you could not see. I make that a mistake. That's that. If you disagree, there's not much more I can say.

Ok, I'll answer the question.

No I didn't know 100% for sure I could merge safely. The guy in the left lane also didn't know 100% for sure he could merge safely, or that someone from exit 1 wouldn't pull out in front of him. He may come round the corner to find that the exit is completely blocked, there are dozens of things that MIGHT happen.
As for the left lane being the safer option, I think that is debatable, depending on circumstance. As previously stated, the right lane gives you a somewhere to go if something unexpected happens.
Using your logic, if all roundabouts had a single lane it would make them safer, so why aren't they designed this way?

Like it or not, there is an element of risk to driving, and one has to make some assumptions.
For example, if you're driving at the national speed limit along a straight piece of road, and you see a car ahead waiting at a junction, how do you know he won't pull out? You can slow down a bit, and watch his head movements, etc, and make a judgement about if he's seen you or not, but you don't KNOW he won't pull out. The only safe option is to slow down and let him pull out? Do you do this? Of course not!

So it comes down to our differing perceptions of risk.

Fair enough for answering the question. I believe one should mitigate as much risk as is possible on the roads. I don't think you did that in your original question, you think you did. Traffic would indeed grind to a halt in many of the other situations you describe if everyone were overly cautious.

We should perhaps agree to disagree on the merits/demerits of what you did on that roundabout. Agreed?
Agreed!
So we can agree on something! :-)
Its been an interesting debate! Take it easy round those roundabouts!
Roundabout Question - Hugh Watt
I think I've seen you two guys in a Beckett play... Was it the one with two characters standing in dustbins, or waiting for Godot, or endlessly tossing coins...? I see two grey-bearded prisoners chained in a dungeon, an old pair of leather motoring goggles & string-backed gloves visible in the half-light, bickering about the Highway Code... as a number board ticks round to - 200!

But well done chaps, I have Spam ahead on points, but it's close.
Watch out, Eddie, or you'll be replacing him in my dungeon!

And the beard's still ginger, for the time being.............

:-)
Roundabout Question - cheddar
I agree Lud, I was just going to say that they have gone round it circles on this one and might be best placed to take an exit ...

... of course making sure that they indicate and that no one is cutting up the inside/steaming down the outside (delete as applicable) before they manoeuvre.

;-)
By the way, this is the link to one of Sefton Council's efforts to try and improve road safety on this particular roundabout:

tinyurl.com/ydcr8xj
Yes, those handbags have had a right old workout, haven't they? :-)
Roundabout Question - Buspass
If you are leaving by any exit after 12 o'clock then it's the RH lane.

Now this will come as a surprise to many, but nowhere does the Highway Code confer an *absolute * right of way on anybody, anywhere.
Wow
201 replies, is this a record? since mebe=newbe
PS
Why does the missis accuse me of always trying to have the last word

Edited by dieseldogg on 07/10/2009 at 16:48

Ahh. But you haven't had the last word! :-)
If you are leaving by any exit after 12 o'clock then it's the RH lane.
Now this will come as a surprise to many but nowhere does the Highway Code
confer an *absolute * right of way on anybody anywhere.

Only just spotted this one! I can't let that go! :-)

*absolute* right of way......? What about a give way sign? I think there are a lot of situations where you have right of way.

Also, there is nothing in the highway code about this 12 o'clock right hand lane rule that a lot of people seem to believe in!
What if the first exit is at, or beyond 12 o'clock, and there are two lanes?
Roundabout Question - commerdriver
What if the first exit is at or beyond 12 o'clock and there are two
lanes?

For example exiting the M4 westbound at junction 8/9 the only exits are at 3 o'clock and 4 o'clock.
3 lanes at top of slip road marked as lanes 1 & 2 for A404M and lane 3 for A308M.
(you still get muppets who get it wrong and cut across, or push in from the wrong lane)
Roundabout Question - Ben 10
SPAM,
Will you stop now. I think we've had enough. The whole thread's going around in circles. You've made your point, some agree, many disagree. Give it a rest.
Roundabout Question - Dynamic Dave
The whole thread's going around in circles.

It's quite apt that the discussion is about roundabouts then ;o)

Time to turn off into a Cul De Sac and park up though I think.

Thread locked.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/10/2009 at 20:04