00 1.6 Radiator Help - Kizzy
Hi

I have an Astra 1.6v year 2000 that I need to put in a new radiator.
The car does have air con but I think I dont need to take that part out if I am right as it is only the water rad that has a leak.
If anyone can tell me if this would be fairly easy and a bit of help how to do it I would appreciate it, I am quite good at doing things to my car but just want to know if this would be quite easy or not.

Thanks for any replies.

Edited by Pugugly on 30/09/2009 at 21:21

00 1.6 Radiator Help - timdb
hi,it is usually a straight forward job that should only take a couple of hours,i have never done an Astra of that year but its the same principle,first off i would try and safe the coolant that is going to come out[unless you don't mind spending an extra £10]take the bottom hose on the rad to drain it and as it gets near the end of draining you can take the cap off the expansion tank to let the rest out,then make sure you unclip any electrics going to it and any remaining hoses,you may need to take the cooling fan out some cars have enough room to leave it in,then undo the the top bolts holding it in at either side it should then lift out unless its attached to the a/c unit in which case it will take longer and the grill may have to come off...when you have put new one in reattach everything and don't forget coolant and bleeding it,fill it up and squeeze the rubber hoses to get any air out then run it with with expansion cap off so you can keep filling as the water goes round and the air comes out...hope that can help....
00 1.6 Radiator Help - Number_Cruncher
Depending upon the detail, you may find that the radiator and air condition condensor are bolted together.

Again, depending upon detail, you may find that these fasteners are both corroded, and difficult to access owing to the fastener being captive in the plastic end caps of the coolant radiator. Thankfully, as you're replacing the coolant radiator, you will be able to simply hacksaw into the plastic housing.

If the configuration is as I have described, you'll need a few new M6 nuts and bolts to replace the ones which you'll have to saw off.

I would also buy in a few litres of Vauxhall anti-freeze, new seals for any radiator fan switch, and new hose clamps - they aren't expensive.