09 2.2 question about which antifreeze for diesels - tawse
Hi,

Now owning my first diesel, and with the approach of winter, I have no idea where I stand re putting anti-freeze in my Honda CRV 2.2 diesel?

I assume it does need diesel and will the bog-standard Halfords anti-freeze that I have been using be OK?

Or do I need to go and buy special 'diesel antifreeze' - if so what make, type and, a bit more dummies here, do I simply add the same amount I would do so for a petrol or is it all different in a diesel?

Thanks for the info and help,

T.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/09/2009 at 20:08

09 2.2 Dummies question about anti-freeze for dies - bathtub tom
Do you mean coolant anti-freeze - it shouldn't need any for a car less than a year old?

Do you mean screenwasher additive?
09 2.2 Dummies question about anti-freeze for dies - redviper
please, please dont put coolant antifreeze in the screenwash as you run the risk stripping off your paint!
09 2.2 Dummies question about anti-freeze for dies - tawse
Thanks guys, I appreciate your concern but I do know the difference between antifreeeze and screenwash... the screenwash is topped up.. just the antifreeze I am asking about?

09 2.2 Dummies question about anti-freeze for dies - bathtub tom
As it's less than a year old, it should be filled with the correct concentration of anti-freeze and corrosion inhibitor. If it needs topping up, then it must have a leak and would be covered by warranty.

There's now more than one type of anti-freeze, read your handbook to find out which type you require.

If you really want to worry about it, then what I do with my old cars is to syphon out about half a yoghourt pot full and pop it in the freezer overnight. That's -20c and if it comes out of there still liquid, then it's good enough for me.
09 2.2 Dummies question about anti-freeze for dies - nortones2
I think the Honda fill is with a long-life coolant - 5 years possibly. However, do not mix different coolants. See www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=39667

If in doubt, contact a Honda dealer/RTFM. :)
09 2.2 question about which antifreeze for diesels - Manatee
A Honda dealer will sell you a 5 litre container of the correct pre-mix. That is less than the cooling system holds as per manual, but is enough to change it - it doesn't all come out when drained.
09 2.2 question about which antifreeze for diesels - rtj70
Unless there is a loss of coolant then what is in there already is fine! And it will be replaced when necessary at the relevant service. Just make sure the level is okay.
There is no leak - it looks fine but, um, the reason I asked is because it is clear liquid in there so I assumed it was water.

All the anti freeze I have ever used in my pervious petrol cars has been coloured - usually red or blue. Might have had some green stuff once but I have never seen clear anti-freeze so that is why I was concerned and asking the question.

Sorry, should have said it first but, as I said, because it looks clear I assumed it is/was water.
09 2.2 question about which antifreeze for diesels - Peter D
Read you own first post. It sounds as though you want to put some sort of antifreeze in the deisel fuel.
I do not think the coolant header tank should be clear. Contact you dealer.
Regards Peter
09 2.2 question about which antifreeze for diesels - bathtub tom
See my earlier post:

If you really want to worry about it, then what I do with my old cars is to syphon out about half a yoghourt pot full and pop it in the freezer overnight. That's -20c and if it comes out of there still liquid, then it's good enough for me.
09 2.2 question about which antifreeze for diesels - RichardW
It's not unknown for modern antifreezes to be near clear - Citroen's long life coolant is nearly colourless for example. It shold still smell like antifreeze, and feel greasy if you stick your finger in it. I find it very hard to believe that a near new motor has come with water not AF in it!
09 2.2 question about which antifreeze for diesels - boggles
I have seen "colourless" antifreeze, it was called Glysantin, and used for a while by Mercedes and Rotax, I think. Whatever, your car should have antifreeze year round, for corrosion prevention. You can contact your dealer for information, or have the coolant tested at any garage. Failing that, the sample in the freezer as mentioned before will give you a good idea of the suitability of your coolant.
Thanks all for your advice.

Spoke to Honda, apparently they do use a clear anti-freeze on their new cars. A new one on me but you live and learn.