When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - Nsar
I'm approaching the dread day when I have to re-insure the car we have for our au pair. It's a Yaris 1.0 now 5 years old.
Let's assume it's worth £3k, the quotes I got from a comparison site were about £1500 (with a £250 excess) due to young foreign driver. I'm tempted to go for 3rd party F&T which seem to be about £200 or so less.

Any thoughts?

When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - paul2007
Go thrird party mae.
Car is diff to sea as armed with imobilizer. If he/she has a minor knock, car get it reapired for less thav 250 - so go tpf&t
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - Bromptonaut
Compared with what hire companies charge for damage waiver £200 seems a good deal to be covered for parkiing scrapes (never mind a write off on an icy Feb morning). And don't forget the bundled extras with comp such as cover for the winscreen or theft from the vehicle.
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - NowWheels
£200 seems a good deal to be covered for parkiing scrapes

By the time you've lost factored in the cost of losing your No Claims Bonus, it's not worth claiming for parking scrapes (unless they are are very expensive). Even if you have protected the NCB, there's usually still some cost to claiming.
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - J Bonington Jagworth
"the car we have for our au pair"

Are you insuring it yourself, with her as a named driver? Possibly worth considering unless it requires you to be the principal user.

Although TP sounds tempting, I have a feeling that insurance companies tend to be more difficult when settling claims that aren't comprehensively covered. The degree of blame becomes a lot more important when one side has to pay for their own repairs...
I am reg owner but au pair is named as main driver.

The thing that has puzzled me is that this year is the first year that a theft of a car in 04 no longer needs to be mentioned as it is over 5 years. The claims history since then is pretty trivial - a no fault claim on my main car (ie separate policy) and one other claim on this car to pay for damages caused by a blow-out when the previous au pair was driving - ie someone no longer assciated with the car, yet this has made no difference to the quote.

When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - jbif
Some insurance companies reportedly now quote a higher price for TPF&T than comprehensive for the same risk!
forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?p=243...5
www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/insurance/2009/08/t...e
"Startling research shows comprehensive motor insurance is typically much cheaper than third party, despite the fact it gives greater protection. "

Edited by jbif on 12/09/2009 at 23:27

When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - J Bonington Jagworth
I assume you've shopped around for quotes? The comparison websites have worked for us.
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - Martin Devon
I assume you've shopped around for quotes? The comparison websites have worked for us.

They are owned by Insurers.
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - Chris M
If the car is written off as a result of your au pairs error, do you have £3,000 in the bank that you will happily buy a replacement with? £200 equates to one write off every 15 years, not counting any interest. On a five year old car, a bumper and bonnet with ancillary bits could be a write off. Even a cash job would be several years worth of saving £200.
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - andyp
Another point to consider is that with TP/TPFT the cost of recovery and storage etc after an accident or vandalism will be down to you, obviously if was caused 100% by a 3rd party then you could claim the cost back from them (or their insurers), but this might not be a quick or easy job !
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - b308
>> The comparison websites have worked for us.

Eh? Which ones are owned by Ins Cos and by who, MD?
Have gone through one of the main comparison sites so far - what is really odd is the best price is half the second best price.
Will also speak to my local branch of Swinton who were brilliant last year at sorting out the problems I was having with my previous insurer whom I would dearly love to name and shame for being more than incompetent and rude when handling my renewal.
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - Bill Payer
Eh? Which ones are owned by Ins Cos and by who MD?

Confused is owned by Admiral.
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - martint123

moneysupermarket is listed on the stock exchange - so it is "owned" by its shareholders.
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - CGNorwich
But you should remember that comparison sites receive commission from the Insurance Companies just as a broker does.
When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - ifithelps
Probably no basis in fact for this, but I would feel I was somehow looking after the au pair better by giving her (I assume) a car which was comprehensively insured.

When Does Fully Comp Cease to be Better? - Dave_TD
I have gone TPFT this year for the first time in about 10 years. This is because my car is only worth £300 and this year it doesn't need a new windscreen.

Dave TD