(Another) insurance query - scouseford
I seem to remember that our host, Honest John, has stated on several occasions that if one is the victim of an accident that is not of one's own making then the culprit's insurance company must put you back into the position that you were in before the accident happened.

I was such a victim this week. A driver reversed her large vehicle at great speed and demolished the front near side wing of my car (I was stationary at the time). My car is 7 years old and was in immaculate condition. It had done 70,000 miles and was probably good for another 3 or 4 years of enjoyable motoring for me.

It seems likely to me that her insurance company will consider my car to be a write off. For me to be put into the position that I was in before the accident I would need enough to be able to buy at retail cost a similar vehicle. How likely is this to happen? My understanding of these things (fortunately very scanty, not having been in this situation before) is that the insurance company is likely to offer a figure something close to the trade value of my vehicle which will be a pittance. To replace the vehicle on a like-for-like basis would require a figure far in excess of the trade valuation.

Can anybody offer me any good news?
(Another) insurance query - bell boy
yes
tell them to repair it (they dont like £4000 bills on 7 year motors see
or
find an identical model same spec in something like autotrader and tell insurer you want to replace it with this
stand firm
(Another) insurance query - scouseford
bb

Am I correct in thinking that you are in the trade? If so, is an aggressive (in the politest possible definition of the word) stance likely to produce a result? To the insurance company this is a petty claim. To me, a pensioner and an enthusiastic driver of limited means, it is of greater importance. I am happy to have a go if things turn out as I anticipate but (assuming the worst case scenario i.e. a trivial offer) would it be worth my while inviting a solicitor to take over? I emphasise that I was a totally innocent victim and have independent witnesses.
(Another) insurance query - BB
Insurance companies will always try and offer you the least possible.

I had a claim to fix my car last dec and stood firm and got new tyres, alloys etc when they tried to fob me off.

As the other bb says, stand your ground. I wouldn't involve a solicitor but just be very firm.
Know what your car is worth from a dealer and just go for as much as you can.

No need to be aggresive and the best of luck.
(Another) insurance query - bell boy
scouseford the other insurer will send a snivelling shyster round who is self employed and works on offering you a pittance (the less he offers the more he earns)
these people are lower than debt collecters with bill sykes bullseye dog
stand your ground
it wasnt your fault so you need to be in the position you were in prior to the accident
i did this last 18 months ago and won as i expected,my colleague had a nice little user for 6 weeks too at their expense while rome burnt
(Another) insurance query - smokie
Afraid to say my experiences are only good. I've been involved with a couple of written off or stolen cars for family members. The ins co has usually made a reasonable starting offer, but as a matter of course I have always told them that I don't consider it enough and they have increased it without argument to a better figure. You don't need to be aggressive, just firm - and if you can support your argument with evidence (cars for sale from Autotrader) then all the better. But remember that you would usually expect haggle a few ££s off sale price, so take that into account when deciding what you will accept - and don't try to be unreasonable.