99 2.5 Tyre Pressure - Mumstheword
Hiya,
Disclaimer: sorry if it sounds like a daft question!

How do I find what the tyre pressure ought to be?

Normally I'd check the user manual, but there isnt one (at least, not that I've found so far), and I want to make sure the tyres are at the right pressure.

I've googled tyre pressures, thinking I'd find a site somewhere that would tell me for each size etc of tyre what the pressure ought to be, but no luck, and googled the make and model of tyre too.

They are 235 45 z17 on the front
and 255 40 z17 on the rear

Thank you!
99 2.5 Tyre Pressure - valmiki
You've got the sport alloys with wider rears on an E39, good question to ask as I was looking at the manual for one last night!

I've attached a link to a US driver's manual, but the tyre pressures are in there and the manual may help you out with any other queries ;-)

www.e38.org/2001Manual-5Sedan-SportWagon.pdf

[edit] just realised the age of your e39 this one may be more appropriate

www.e38.org/2000Manual-5Sedan-SportWagon.pdf

valmiki

Edited by valmiki on 11/09/2009 at 10:13

Fantastic, thank you very much, I'd never have found it for myself!

It drives beautifully but does feel heavy. I know it's a heavy car, with big tyres, but cant think that the tyres are inflated enough.

TY!!

no problem ;-)

I'd suggest that in following months you take a look at forum.bmw5.co.uk

Bunch of friendly people and very knowledgeable on the E39.

valmiki
I'll have a look at that, ta.

The link shows pressures for a 528 (cant see a 523) at 33psi front (235s) and 41psi back(255s)

That sounds high after my lil tyres on a corolla lol, but I'll go with it as a rough estimate unless anyone on here shouts at me otherwise!!

TY
99 2.5 Tyre Pressure - Peter D
Is it not on the door pillar, the inner face of the door or inside the filler flap. Regards Peter
99 2.5 Tyre Pressure - elekie&a/c doctor
I am looking at the door pillar sticker on one of these right now.It shows
front ;normal load 1.9 bar ;heavy load 2.3 bar
rear;normal load 2.3 bar ;heavy load 2.8 bar.hth
Thanks Peter and elekie

I went up to ATS to check. I'd looked on the sticker I found on the door pillar, but it had different pressures depending on the letter so went up there to be on the safe side.

He said 28 and 34, or 1.9 and 2.3 I think, so I would have made them too high,

Ty
Remember the stickers would only show the pressures for wheels that were factory fit, if you have upgrade sport alloys (which I think you may have esp. with the wider rears) then these wouldn't strictly apply.

The manual specifies the different tyres sizes and what the pressures they should be for each size.

Just a thought!

P.S. These cars are a lot heavier than corollas ;-)

Edited by valmiki on 11/09/2009 at 15:58

valmiki, that's just what the man at ATS said, that they were probably new wheels/tyres added at a later date.

I've no manual,but as above have a link very helfully supplied to an online user manual.

I've got to take into account that this car is 10yrs old, so the power steering wont be as fresh as when new, just as the rest of the car wont be (altho it does seem to be in very good condition). The only big cars I used to drive were always brand new (parents), which you could steer with your little finger lol!! The power steering is obviously working tho, as turning and parking can be done with little effort. What I noticed tho is that if there's a dip or rut in the road surface, the tyres want to follow that and I have to show it who's in charge!! I think that power sttering reduces with speed too anyway doesnt it? As a safety measure.

My lil corolla, on the other hand, just does as it's told :D
Yep my previous E39 on sport alloys drove the same, tramlined all the time, goes with the territory I guess!

Had me grinning though ;-)
99 2.5 Tyre Pressure - bathtub tom
If it's got non-standard wheels and tyres, have you informed your insurance company?

I hate to be a killjoy, but if they can worm their way out of a claim, for whatever reason, they will.