Selling through BCA Sure-Sell or webuyanycar? - valmiki
Hi

I'm planning on selling my Touran, either through BCA's Sure Sell scheme or using www.webuyanycar.com. The latter have offered me £15k via the website and I would have to drop off in Cardiff and pay them a £50 admin fee. I can't see them haggling as there's nothing to haggle over. It's in pristine condition, honest!

If I sell through Sure-Sell then I would have to pay them roughly £500 fees in order to put it through the auction. Would it be worth my while doing this in the hope I'd get at least £15.5k?

How much of a margin would webuyanycar factor into the price they have offered for mine? Not quite aure how they operate, apart from they're the buying arm of one of the large supermarkets I think.

Also, my nearest auction house is in Cardiff, would I get a better price for mine at one of the bigger auctions, ie. Blackbushe comes to mind.

Also, my tax runs out the end of the month, so I'm planning to get rid pretty sharpish and hope I don't have to pay for tax - though it would be around £80 for 6 months so not quite as bad as it could be.

thanks

valmiki

Selling through BCA Sure-Sell or webuyanycar? - davecuk
Why are you selling through these people, surely a private advert will yield some buyers and be more money for you?

Selling through BCA Sure-Sell or webuyanycar? - J1mbo
Its the hassle, dealing with payments, RAC/AA checks on the drive, test drive etc... I will be selling my jamjar later in the year. I will prolly use BCA and set a reserve, then its job done.

Dealers p/.x offer was 10% lower than the webuyanycar site!
surely a private advert will yield some buyers
and be more money for you?

My car is now 1 years old, and I'm selling around £16k, I also live in Swansea (ie. not the greatest of populations). I guess most people in the market for my sort of car would head straight for a dealer and not even bother looking at private ads!

And as Davecuk has mentioned, the hassling with cash/cheques, waiting around for people to turn up, etc.

I guess the auction route would be best but would I get the best price at somewhere like Cardiff rather than Blackbushe? Or do trade buyers generally by off the internet using their Auction View or whatever it's called.

Selling through BCA Sure-Sell or webuyanycar? - Roly93
My car is now 1 years old and I'm selling around £16k I also live
in Swansea (ie. not the greatest of populations). I guess most people in the market
for my sort of car would head straight for a dealer and not even bother
looking at private ads!

Not true !
I have sold 2 cars in the last 3 years at around this value, and the fact is that for a car of this value that is still under warranty, people will travel a fair distance to see it if there is some saving over the dealer price.. Swanse is just off the M4 so no-problem tyravelling wise...
Selling through BCA Sure-Sell or webuyanycar? - Downesi1
Most trade buyers at BCA tend to factor in atleast £500 for repiars if buying form Multi Source of Sure sell as they tend to be viewed with caution.

Question. Why would anyone put a 15k newish car in the auction when they will only get trade price for it?

Buyers will be asking;

Whats wrong with it?
How much below trade shall I go to to cover any required repairs?
If the owner is happy to sell at auciton have the scriped on servicing or repairs?

Stick it on ebay for a decent price or take the 15k offer.
Selling through BCA Sure-Sell or webuyanycar? - nick
Try ebay first with a reserve, it'll only cost a little if it doesn't work. Post on a thursday evening around 8pm on a 10 day auction to give two weekends to view.

Thanks for the ebay suggestion I'm a hobby ebayer as it is, so I know I can do this however how realistic am I being in hoping I'll get any interest esp. as it's A) a £16k car (and I'm not a trader) and B) I'm based in Swansea so don't have a massively huge catchement area?

I keep harping on about the Swansea thing because when I was selling my E39 520 a year ago in autotrader, I had plenty of phonecalls of interest but as soon as they realised how far away Swansea was, they could never be bothered to come and take a look. And that was for a £4.5k car!

I think I've pretty much erased the webuymycar route as there's plenty of stories about buyers getting shafted during drop off but I'm not finding many glowing reviews of sure-sell either. The couple that are on here are pretty unimpressed.
Just wanted to provide some feedback to the posters who replied, I advertised in Auto Trader at £16,750 10 days ago and have just accepted an offer of £16,500 from a private buyer so I'm well chuffed!

Proved me wrong, there are people willing to travel. Considering I paid £19k one year ago, I think the 2.5k depreciation is excellent - my friends still don't believe it ;-)