03 1.8T Audi stereo power supply - gmacdon
Hi,

I've been told in the past that the way that the Audi stereos are powered is that they receive a constant feed from the battery and when the ignition is turned off would continue to supply power to the radio. If there is no demand for power then the stereo cuts off its demand for power itself.

Hence, if you install a handsfree car kit to an Audi and re-use/piggyback-off the stereo power supply that the battery will drain and eventually go flat.

Thanks,
Gordon

03 1.8T Audi stereo power supply - Peter D
Yes this is correct since 2002. I assume you would prefer a feed that is only on with the ignition If S5 is fitted( 7.5 amp fuse ) then that will do the job. Regards Peter
03 1.8T Audi stereo power supply - gmacdon
Thats what I had been told, thanks.

Its a very long story, but I had a car kit fitted earlier this year and the installer messed it up. I had to take the car to Audi and they found that it had been connected to the stereo power source which was causing a constant battery drain. The battery obviously went flat after a few days.

The installer is claiming to have done nothing wrong, but Audi gave a very clear diagnosis of the problem so they have no grounds for not compensating me for having to take the car to Audi. (The installer had the audacity to claim that Audi fixed another problem then blamed it on the car kit!!!)

Thanks again.
03 1.8T Audi stereo power supply - Peter D
Did you take it back to the installer for them to fix. If not it is your problem. Regards Peter