02 2.2 Oil light - sluggish performance. - wotspur
I have a 2.2 diesel Espace -today the oil light came on, so I drove a couple of miles further on and bought some oil suitable for diesel. I left the engine 30 mins -all I could afford, to cool a little before putting the oil in , then carried on the further 6 mile journey, with the light coming on once and the engine struggling to keep up power.

I was with my client 3 hours, came out, did about 25 miles with no problem, the final 3 miles light on, sluggish -

what is a possible diagnosis.

This engine has done about 60k, but the rest is upto 105k -fortunately I can visit the garage fri am, but appreciate your insight

SLT - moved over to Technical - Poster e-mailed

Edited by Pugugly on 03/09/2009 at 20:59

engine problems -your diagnosis ? - alfatrike
This engine has done about 60k but the rest is upto 105k

so the engine has done 60k and the car 105k total, right?

was the engine new, recon or a replacement (from scrapped car for e.g.)?
engine problems -your diagnosis ? - Armitage Shanks {p}
SFAIK if you have driven any distance at all with the oil pressure light on (meaning no oil pressure) you will be looking for another replacement engine any day soon. Sorry!
engine problems -your diagnosis ? - wotspur
I had the car, a 52 from new, and have had 3 NEW engines during its time AFAIK at around ( 3k,36 and 54k miles ) yep it's been a lemon of a car - but clutch etc all as original AFAIK unless they get changed automatically with a new engine
02 2.2 Oil light - sluggish performance. - mfarrow
I hope the client was worth it.

As soon as the oil pressure light came on (assuming it was red?) then you should have dipped the clutch, killed the ignition and coasted to a halt.

Never mind hindsight's a wonderful thing. A garage might be able to track down the cause of the initial low oil pressure (pump perhaps) and fix it but I think likely a new engine will be required.
02 2.2 Oil light - sluggish performance. - alfatrike
not wanting to sound rude but, have you had the car maintained? service history? you say three new engines. all the same fault?
yes, every 6 months or 20,000 miles which ever came first. The first engine was after only 3,000 miles. That was becasue I had a similar model for 3 months and whilst driving it just kept cutting out -eventually I refused to accept it and this was given in exchange when it happened I insisted they engine be changed.
What I'm surprised at is there was no warning light that came on -typically it was due another service end of sept and mot.
Oh well off to Renault this am, to see when they can take a look and see what can be done - but thanks for all your comments - but it doesn't look good
02 2.2 Oil light - sluggish performance. - jc2
Please let us know the result!!
02 2.2 Oil light - sluggish performance. - SpamCan61 {P}
Is this a low oil level light ( amber) or an oil pressure light (red)?
the low oil light never came on it was just the red light - yes I know I should have stopped but was in the middle of nowhere, and drove prob 2 miles to the nearest garage off to garage now to talk to them about probable complications and cost ?? ooouch.
will keep you updated -but yestrday the client visit was successful, might pay for a couple of hours work !!

follow up .....

phew, that was a close one I hope they've fixed it but but transpired to be a faulty thermostat housing resulting in there being no coolant in the expansion tank due to leakages in the housing.. so in total just over £175

There was a major shock though, the N/S/F headlamp cracked and foglight cracked -I hope they don't need replacing prior to MOT

I thought they were taking the mick 834.96 + 120.00 for each light respectively

thanks for the feedback, but fortunately it wasn't as bad as I thought