do cars still have grease nipples? - alfatrike
while i was greasing the digger this morning i came to me.

is there a production car intended for the uk market that still has grease nipples?

not counting trucks which i know have them.

what with the use of nylon, teflon and other sealed for life units i can't think of any.

any that you know of?
do cars still have grease nipples? - datostar
not counting trucks which i know have them.

Even they can be fitted with a centrally pumped automatic greasing system so nobody has to get the old grease gun out.
do cars still have grease nipples? - andyp
Possibly the last car to have grease nipples was the Rover 100 series (updated Metro ) which if IIRC still had them on the rear radius arm bearings when it ceased production in 1997 !
i know, but i still had to grease the kingpins on my Daf.
do cars still have grease nipples? - gordonbennet
New Hilux's still have greasable propshafts, i should imagine Landcruisers do too, i'll make a note to have a butcher's when i've got a new one on next.

My MB indy was telling me some MB's were fitted with autolube years ago, quite something on a car.
ah, propshafts. good one. any idea on the greasing schedule?
do cars still have grease nipples? - gordonbennet
ah propshafts. good one. any idea on the greasing schedule?

>>

Toyo do mine at annual service time i hope (i'll know by Saturday lunchtime), and i can't resist getting the old GG out and giving a few pumps at the halfway oil change.

In a way i'm sad that it's not a live front axle like my old Landcruiser with it's moly grease filled swivels...had a great time filling them with the gooey stuff..;)
do cars still have grease nipples? - Harmattan
My 1951 Daimler DB18 had a working Luvax system keeping the kingpins lubricated and similar systems were fitted pre-war I am sure. Propshaft still had to be greased though.
do cars still have grease nipples? - enfield freddy
I was thinking the same question to myself only the other day , whilst fitting a NOS quinten hazell u/j on the old austin A35, ?

blimy , i bought that back in 1974 , when she started making a noise.

car wize , don,t know the last car that had them

motorcycle wize , grease nipples are still there on a 2009 royal enfield ,

one on the ft mounted speed drive one on the g/box linkage and one on the distributor,

boring facks I know!
do cars still have grease nipples? - SlidingPillar
Morgan...

All traditional bodied cars. At least the front suspension and possibly a few more places.

do cars still have grease nipples? - bathtub tom
I thought they had a system linked to the pressurised oilways - total loss.
do cars still have grease nipples? - Lud
One pf my Skodas failed the MoT with dry kingpins, allowing a bit of movement. Even with the car pff the ground, my Wanner grease gun couldn't get any grease into the swivels. It came out of the grease gun itelf and the fitting popped off the nipple.

But the Skoda garage had a powered grease gun that worked. It made a sort of clicking noise. All the old grease and the filth in it came out of the kingpin joints. The car felt and behaved exactly the same, but passed the MoT.

Edited by Lud on 28/08/2009 at 00:41

do cars still have grease nipples? - NARU
My landcruiser definately has grease nipples on the rear propshaft, and possibly on the front one too.

I was suffering from a thump when I pulled up to a stop, which turned out to be the rear propshaft needing greasing.
do cars still have grease nipples? - SlidingPillar
Morgans do have engine oil system, operated by a switch you push when you want to oil, but there is also a grease nipple.

edit cos forum software implied you'd see the question

Edited by SlidingPillar on 28/08/2009 at 10:57

do cars still have grease nipples? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Some people disconnect the Morgan oil feed system and just rely on the grease nipples. Apparently modern engine oils do not mix well with bronze bearings as used in the sliding pillar.Something about zinc depletion IIRC from a talk by a Silkolene oil expert.

Do Hindustan stiill build the old Morris Oxford lookalikes? They may be a candidate for grease nipples.
do cars still have grease nipples? - captain chaos
AFAIK American cars still have them
Just sold a '91 Camaro which had grease nipples
Wheel bearings had to be greased/adjusted as part of the servicing schedule too
Same goes for my '95 Jeep Cherokee
do cars still have grease nipples? - Chris S
The MG TF is based on two Metro front sub-frames stuck together so it probably has grease nipples.

As far as I know its still in production, but only just.