02 1.6 Keeps hunting despite replacement parts. - Pandy
Hi just a quick one , i have a problem with my golf i have had it a nearly a year now and it has been in the garage for about 8 month out of 12 every month it has had new lambda probes ,costing around 350 a trip to the garage so now its cost more than the car so i thought i would have ago myself so i have replaced the throttle body today still hunting it has stopped the car conking out at junctions but still hunts really bad it doesnt do it at start up just about a minute after i put the new throttle body on it was fine for a minute then started again , well basically im all spent out im starting to think it has cracked head or something ? On the diagnostic it come up as too lean on bank one , so changed that 89 pound for part + labour again , please any help would be greatfully received .

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 25/08/2009 at 11:11

02 1.6 Keeps Hunting , Replaced Throttle Body , La - Javalin
if its to lean I then its getting either too much air or not enough fuel. Have you checked the fuel pump relay? Not shure about mk4's but a well known issue on mk3's - that the joint's can go dry and give a bad feed to the pump - hence the cutting out.

Otherwise have you checked for air leaks, and the operation of the air flow sensor?

Failing that - back to basics, compression test, etc....

James
02 1.6 Keeps Hunting , Replaced Throttle Body , La - Pandy
Hi james cheers for the reply , I will check the relay tomo ,also i have looked for leaks but have found none to date , also i wasnt aware that this one has a air flow meter as it has the air box straight of thr throttle body to the plastic cover on the top , also as this is a long standing problem ??? would the relay affect it cause when it has the probes done it s fine for a few days then it starts again ??????/