£10 off your insurance - guaranteed! - Paul531
My car insurance renewal arrived for £290. I ?phoned a couple of companies in the yellow pages, they were more expensive, so I decided to stay put.

Then, in the junk mail, arrives a letter from an insurance company which said that it would ?guarantee to beat any renewal by at least £10.

I ?phoned for a quote, quoting the letter ref and £10 guarantee.

They quoted me circa £360. I reminded them of their offer and said that I had expected a quote of £280 or less.

Again they stuck to the £360 figure. So I renewed with my existing company.

I wrote to the {£360} company, to complain that they had failed to fulfil their guarantee. I enclosed a photocopy of my renewal and asked that they paid me £10. The ?director? replied and said that the ?guarantee applies when you take out a policy with us? and that he ?cannot imagine anyone taking out a policy with us which is more than their renewal?. Hence he could ?not imagine? anyone taking up his guarantee, hence there is no guarantee.

Has anyone else experienced similar? I do not care about they £10, what annoys me is them backing down from their guarantee.

Paul

P.S. Why is the time stamp on the HJ website GMT and not BST?

£10 off your insurance - guaranteed! - Tom Shaw
I would think that the Advertising Standards Agency would take a dim view of this companies tactics. You local Trading Standards Office would be interested too.

£10 off your insurance - guaranteed! - Mark (RLBS)
Have you still got the original offer letter ?

If so, it would be interesting to know the exact wording.

And as Tom says, it ought to be worth the TSA/ASA getting interested.

£10 off your insurance - guaranteed! - Bromptonaut
You had a lucky escape! If you have this much hassle over premium promises what are they going to do about claims?
£10 off your insurance - guaranteed! - BigTJ
"Junk mail" is a waste of a word.

It's just junk.