98 1984 knocking from front axle after tyre change - lavondys
Hi

I have a Laguna Estate 2.0L RXE Limited Edition. The one with leather interior and rear brake discs rather tha drums)

I recently had all 4 tyres changed.

The fitter put the rotation on the front left tyre the wrong way round, so switched this with the rear right one.

After getting it back on the road i noticed a knocking sound coming from the front axle getting louder between 20 and 30 at a specific point as the axle turned.

Ive to date switched the front tyre for a spare to eliminate thread problems and paid £28 to have the wheels tracked. Still the same, there has always been a slight rubbing sound when turning left but this is not noticeably louder.

Its as if the wheels oval!! lmao

Ive taken it back today to the garage that have fitted the tyres, there the experts............COUGH........Theres a slight lip on the disc which they say they nwill grind off tomorrow to see if this helps, of it could be a ball joint..

But the question hasnt been answered that if the car was OK before they fitted the tyres WHY all off a sudden am i presented with bag of bolts??

Any answers would be appreciated as im skint and cant afford to be messed around by a mechanical merrygo round special!

Regards

Lav
98 1984 knocking from front axle after tyre change - ex-Triumph man
Try basic checks first and make sure the wheel nuts are tight.
Hi

Ive had the wheel nuts off to change the wheel. I also greased them up before putting them back in. Theres plenty of pad left, and everything seems tight and secure.

This renault has a 5 studded alloy, not the normal 4 studs. The fifth stud went back rather tightly, but it has nipped up and is now safe and secure.

Is it known for rattling to travel down the drive shaft?? IE the real problem is on the drivers side but the sound is coming from the passenger side??

Lav
98 1984 knocking from front axle after tyre change - piston power
Alloy wheels "rust" oxidise is that the word, but the flakey build up were it sits on the front hub can be enough just to hold it off and not sit true, try cleaning up the wheels, the one on the front may have come from the rear etc.

The tracking did they tighten up the track rod?
Hi

I didnt watch them do the allignment. I wasnt allowed into the work shop due to "Felt and Pasty" reasons.............................

Ill check the rust theory but when i put the wheels on it seemed a shug fit.

The best way i can describe it is a circle with a singular nobble stick out .

Everytime it rotates it would hit this nobble and cause a "Bump" so to speak.

Lav
98 1984 knocking from front axle after tyre change - Roly93
Hi
Ive had the wheel nuts off to change the wheel. I also greased them up
before putting them back in.

>>
You should know that wheel nuts should never be greased for obvious safety reasons.
You should know that wheel nuts should never be greased for obvious safety reasons.

HHHMM. Now you have confused not just me but everyone. I can see your point that greasing the nuts up might cause the nuts to not "Nip" up. But then maybe you should go and advise any good quality tyre spot that apply copper grease to your wheel nuts when changing your tyres.................................

Maybe youve never been 50 miles in the middle of no-where, trying to change a tyre with a manufacturers supplied wheel brace.... AFTER some loop at the garage hasnt applied any form of grease and OVER tighten the nuts.......................

LAV.

P.S. Ex-Triumph Man was correct in point. The wheel nuts on the opposite side hadnt been tightened properly

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 22/08/2009 at 16:34