The British car industry's finest hour? - Hector Brocklebank
Arrange these ten British cars in order of greatness, with no.1 being the supreme champion. You do not have to give a reason for your decision, although it would be nice if you did.

My list:

10. Austin Allegro
- A stylish and sophisticated small car for its time, marred by poor build quality, industrial strife and bad publicity.

9. Austin Montego
- The Maestro's attractive cousin, a solid design that was more than a mach for the crude Sierra. Would have been a world beater with a Rover badge..........

8. Jaguar XJS
- A true stunner that matured with age, an imperious cruiser with the refinement of a Bentley.

7. Rover 600
- Based on the supremely competent Accord but with elegant design and that British feel-good factor.

6. Range Rover
- A relevant concept when new, corrupted by the lifestyle SUV fad and luxury car pretentions.

5. BMC Mini
- Very innovative and of the moment, but grossly over-rated and should never have lasted so long. Cult status to blame.

4. BMC 1100/1300
- Everything that was good about the Mini, but in a bigger and more relevant package. A true FWD car for the masses.

3. Rover P6
- Light-years ahead of the competition and anything Rover built before it. Brought the executive car into the modern age and trounced Volvo for safety.

2. Rover 200 series (89-)
- The best Honda collaboration, brought together the strenghths of both companies and showed the opposition where to go....

1. BMC 1800/2200
- Nicknamed the 'landcrab', this was a truly under-rated piece of engineering excellence from a time before marketing men designed cars. So much space, comfort and stability in a car no bigger than a Focus. Issigonis' and the British car industry's crowning achievement.

There we are then, a few gems have been left out such as the Maxi and XJ6 but there simply wasn't room amongst that lot!
The British car industry's finest hour? - Pugugly
Triumph Dolomite Sprint - A luxury performance saloon - very BMW.
The British car industry's finest hour? - Avant
I'll stick with Austin-through-to-BL, but if I may I'll widen it to some other cars to make it (at least to me) more meaningful. I'm looking at cars which ideally both introduced something new and also did the job efficiently that they were designed to do.

Sorry - I'm too boring to do them in reverse order! Please forgive a little repetition of things I said yesterday in the 'buy British' thread which you also started.

1 Austin A40 Devon - an unsung hero. Introduced in 1947 it had an OHV engine, IFS, a 4-speed gearbox and an ability to start first time in the morning. Ford, Vauxhall and Hillman took years to achieve that lot, especially the last. My first car was its successor, an A50 Cambridge - 14 years old and cost £65. It never let me down and I loved it.

2 Mini - iconic and I'd rate it higher than you and just above...

3 1100/1300 - just as good but not quite immortal in the same way (would BMW want to re-create it?)

4 Triumph 2000 - for my money superior to the Rover 2000 P6. Lovely straight-six engine and much better use of space than the Rover.

5 Land Rover - it conquered the world - what a shame that the usual 1970s/1980s quality problems let the Japanese in to our export markets.

6 Maxi - for versatility. I had two in the 70s - both reliable but the design faults were still there when I looked at a third. Sadly, I haven't bought British since until SWMBO's MINIs.

7 1800 Landcrab - agree with you there.

8 MGA and MGB - fine, truly British, sports cars. I was tempted to include the Frogeye Sprite but it was truly s-l-o-w.

9 Jaguar XJ6 - in their heyday there was nothing to touch these at the price.

10 Morris Minor - same reasons as the A40 above. The Traveller and convertible in particular were rightly much-loved by owners.

Honourable mentions to the Triumph Acclaim and MG Maestro EFI - not pioneers but good end-of-the-line products that did their job well. And the A40 Farina Countryman - our first hatchback, and the Allegro should have been the second if someone had had any sense.

Edit - agree with PU - I'd forgotten the Dolomite Sprint. With better reliability it could indeed have been a match for the contemporary BMW 2002 and early 3-series.

Edited by Avant on 13/08/2009 at 00:36

The British car industry's finest hour? - Stuartli
Don't forget the Austin A90 Atlantic - looks wise years ahead of its time.

I wouldn't say the Acclaim was end of the line; it was based on the 1980 Honda Ballade, a four-door version of the Civic, and was produced until 1985.

Incidentally, just 115,000 Acclaims were manufactured, about a fifth of each total for the Allegros, Marinas etc, yet long after the latter cars had disappeared, there were still quite a few Acclaims in regular use in our area, including one used by the two offspring.

Even today, there are two or three Triumph Dolomites in regular use in the town, plus one resident who has two Vauxhall Vivas..:-)
The British car industry's finest hour? - madux
Wasn't their finest hour about 4pm on Friday?
The British car industry's finest hour? - LikedDrivingOnce
Not knowledgeable enough to make a list like other posters, but I feel that I must put in a plug for the car that Enzo Ferrari called ""The most beautiful car ever made"" - The E-type Jag.
The British car industry's finest hour? - Altea Ego
Hektor my old mate, Sorry but your list lost all credability really early on when you started it with

10. Austin Allegro
- A stylish and sophisticated small car for its time..................... BUZZZ........ TIME FOR YOUR MEDICATION

One final thought before I go to bed. If I hadn't followed Hector's lead and confined myself to Austin-through-to-BL, how different would a list of 'best of British' cars have been?

It occurs to me - probably not much - which makes it all the sadder what happened to BL.

The Ford Cortina would get a mention no doubt, although you could argue that this was Ford at last catching up with Austin. And the Fiesta and Ka probably - I can't think of anything pioneering or iconic from Vauxhall, let alone Hillman (no, NOT the Imp!).

The last word perhaps to (I think) Prof. Garel Rees, who said a few years ago that in 20 years there will be six car makers left in the world - plus Morgan.
The last word perhaps to (I think) Prof. Garel Rees who said a few years
ago that in 20 years there will be six car makers left in the world
- plus Morgan.

Thats good to know, isnt the waiting list for a new morgan 20 years?

Edited by Altea Ego on 13/08/2009 at 01:40

Garel Rees - a personal hero.
There have been some fine cars in concept

Mini, yes sure a global ground breaker. 1100? yes an exclent package, Some good rovers? yup, Maxi? great concept, terrible execution. Jags? I am a cad at heart so any of them will do.

But lets look back 30 years.

My first company car. 1979

I had a choice of a Mk1 Cavalier, A Fiat 131, or a Allagro or Marina

go on - tough choice - what woudl you have gone for.

1983 - I chose freshly minted Maestro - Bad choice son. should have gone for the Mk2 cav.

and so on. Nothing from BL could cut it.
The British car industry's finest hour? - jase1
I really never did get what was so bad about the Allegro's design. Sure it was a dumpy little box, but there were plenty of other dumpy little boxes on sale at the time and they don't come in for so much flak.

The great British cars were surely either things like the P6, or glorious flawed gems like the Interceptor, Stag and SD1.

Always had a bit of a soft spot for the Reliant Scimitar as well. I know, I know...
Scimitar, Oh Yes - and me Great looking car, very desirable.
The British car industry's finest hour? - Rattle
Hold on a minute with the Ford talk.

I believe from MK3 onwards the Cortinas were of german design but the British ones had British designed engines.

2 The only thing British about a Ford Ka is the engine block was originaly designed in the UK.

I once got told buy a customer "Don't go buy British crap like a Vauxhall Corsa, buy something Japeneese like a Nissan Micra"

Erm the Vauxhall is owned by an american company, designed in Germany and built in Spain not very British!

The Nissan Micra is built by Geordies who progressed from Biker Grove.

The best British designed car of all time? The Austin Alegro if they had made it more sleek like Harris Mann itended, had a hatch back, proper engines and a proper gearbox would have told VW where to go with the Golf. British Leyland would now own SEAT, Skoda, Audi and VW :D.
The British car industry's finest hour? - mike hannon
> I really never did get what was so bad about the Allegro's design. Sure it was a dumpy little box, but there were plenty of other dumpy little boxes on sale at the time and they don't come in for so much flak.<

It wasn't so much the design of the Allegro as the horrible way it drove, with dreadful noise, driveline shunt, etc. Not to mention the problems.
AE - definitely the Mk 1 Cavalier, it looked nice and went well. My neighbour had a new poverty-spec one with the 1300 engine and two doors and even that was ok. I was flabbergasted when he turned it in for a Marina. After a few months he asked me to drive the Marina and tell him whether they were all as bad as his.
Btw, Hector, my late friend out here had a Montego estate that was definitely badged as a Rover and it was still complete carp.

Edited by mike hannon on 13/08/2009 at 07:31

The British car industry's finest hour? - b308
I'd have definitely put the Maxi in the original list... BMC/BL's most underdeveloped car... oh what could have been!

Also I'll put my neck on the line and say that the Princess was a better car than the Landcrab... appart from the usual BL reliability problems all it was let down by was lack of fifth gear and hatch... it was a far nicer car than its FOrd/Vuaxhall competition...
The British car industry's finest hour? - andyp
I had just started my first job in a Vauxhall dealer when the MK1 Cavalier was launched and they really were a very good car for that period. They looked a bit plain, especiallly inside, but very well built, and the 1.6 & 1.9 Cam In Head engines were extremely strong and long lasting. A far better car than the Cortina or Marina that they were competing with. Unfortunately when they decided to plant the 1256cc engine from the Viva/Chevette in them in 1977, it pushed that lump that still had a 3 bearing crank and partial flow oil filter to it's very limit and in the hands of an enthusiastic driver they could have a very short life. I remember a couple of these that were reps cars requiring a replacement engine under the 12 months warrenty !
The British car industry's finest hour? - doctorchris
Rattle, the Micra is built by Wearsiders, sometimes referred to in a derogatory manner as "Mackems". They are not Geordies and live a considerable distance from the fictional Byker Grove.

I nominate, for their stylish design, the large Triumph saloons from the 1970s, including the 2000, 2500TC and 2.5PI, from which the Stag was also derived.
My father had a 2500TC in British Racing Green. It looked fabulous, was reliable and was a fast car.
The British car industry's finest hour? - Garethj
I'll have a go at this, but I'll widen the list if you don't mind?

1. Series 1-3 Land Rover. It's got honesty and integrity by the bucketload which is worth more than any number of dashboard gadgets. Also it was exported to bring money in from other countries, something that British cars failed to do in later years.

2. 1929 Bentley Speed 6. If you've ever seen one being driven hard, you'll know why. The fact that an 80 year old can still be thrashed speaks volumes.

3. Series 1 E-Type Jaguar. An obvious choice, a cliché but still very pretty in the metal and it makes you feel special to drive one. Performance for the money (even if the 150mph performance was exaggerated) at the time was exceptional.

4. Austin 1100. The car that the rest of Europe and Asia would be making, 15 years early.

5. McLaren F1. Proof that Britain can make the "ultimate" car

6. MG TC. Not new, even when it was introduced but well loved and sold in large numbers to America, opening up a valuable export market.

7. Range Rover. A car that pretty much created a new niche market.

8. '50s and early '60s British sports cars. I'll lump all of these in one, stuff like MGAs and early Bs, TR3-6, Healeys etc. Stuff that was so loved when it was new that people keep restoring them even now. Not the stuff from the 1970s which was well past it's sell-by date

9. Anything made from fibreglass in low quantities. From the special bodies on a Ford Popular chassis (preferably with the beam axle sawn in half to make a crude independent front suspension!) through Lotus, TVR and hundreds of others. Many don't last long as a business, but they show a particular British talent of making something with not much.

10. Routemaster bus. Rarely has a vehicle met its design brief so well.

Edited by Garethj on 13/08/2009 at 09:18

The British car industry's finest hour? - Hector Brocklebank
A very good list there, Garethj. I couldn't help but notice the absence of the BMC Mini from your list, though. Do you also believe it to be over-rated? I think that it was a very intelligent solution to the problems the motor industry faced after the suez crisis, a very economical package that deserved to suceed. However, it had no right to survive as long as it did. I think that as soon as the new wave of hatchback 'superminis' started to arrive, it was outdated and obsolete.
The British car industry's finest hour? - Garethj
I couldn't help but notice the absence of the BMC Mini from your list though.

That's a tough one - while it's well loved now, back when it was launched it wasn't (as usual) very well developed. And even though it's a very clever packaging solution, that thinking missed the boat by a mile because the buying public want metal for their money. Why have something that looks tiny when for the same price you can have a Ford Anglia that looks like a proper car? That's why sales were slow for the first few years.

It's this flawed thinking that puts it out of the top 10, but probably not far out because it's pretty much a motoring icon.
The British car industry's finest hour? - maz64
The Nissan Micra is built by Geordies who progressed from Biker Grove.

Wasn't the Micra's 1.0 engine derived from the BL A series?
>>The Nissan Micra is built by Geordies who progressed from Biker Grove.>>

Shame on you Rattle..:-)

(it's Byker Grove by the way)

I recall going round the then brand new Nissan factory at Sunderland in 1989 and learning that the employees didn't necessarily have to have an engineering background or previous experience of manufacturing to obtain work on the assembly lines.

They were selected more on the basis that they were adaptable, could follow the company's strategy regarding top quality standards at all times and quickly learn new techniques as necessary.

The result was that the plant produced Micras and Primeras for Europe that were at least the equal of those built in Japan and, quite often, even better quality.

The British car industry's finest hour? - Harleyman
One thing that interests me from the original list; only the Range Rover could claim to be anything near the "finished article" when it was first introduced, inasmuch as most of the subsequent development was essentially cosmetic.

All the others suffered more or less from the British curse, lack of investment in R&D.

It never fails to amaze me that BL learned so little from the demise of the British motorcycle industry. Having said that, even when they went into partnership with Honda they messed up; the Acclaim (rebadged Honda) was a quality car worthy of its Triumph badge, the 200 series was a worse rot-box than the old Viva.
The British car industry's finest hour? - davecuk
The British car industry's finest hour was when we finally stopped making British cars......they were all crap.
The British car industry's finest hour? - Niallster
My list:

10. Austin Allegro

Awful.

9. Austin Montego

Awful and appeared to be made of cardboard. Meanwhile the Sierra was the first mass produced 'modern' car, as in it worked most of the time.

8. Jaguar XJS

As 70's as disco and as reliable as a Studio 54 coke addict.

7. Rover 600

Half way decent but lost when BL was sold to BMW and Honda input was lost.

6. Range Rover

Old BL joke. What are the two things that can be seen from space? Answer the Chinese Wall and the shut lines on a Range Rover. Awful.

5. BMC Mini.

Cult status but rotted so badly it was covered in rust on delivery.

4. BMC 1100/1300

Awful. Handled so badly the Grim Reaper came as a free accessory.

3. Rover P6

A truly excellent car. Drank petrol like a whisky priest but a good car.

2. Rover 200 series (89-)

Serious design faults including the brakes which were not pinioned but floated in the housing and shot out the back end after the slightest of wear. Happened to me once on the Kings Road according to the AA man 'they all do this'.

1. BMC 1800/2200

Awful. See 1100/1300 re: handling but with more power.
The British car industry's finest hour? - 1400ted
I had a Morris 1100 new in '66. Handled better than anything I'd had before. Stuck to the tarmac like velcro.
Had an MG 1300 version in mid 70s and later bought the ultimate, a Vanden Plas 1300. Burgundy with fawn leather, carpets a foot thick. Lovely little micro-limo. Elegant.
They all rusted though.

Ted
The British car industry's finest hour? - b308
I had a Morris 1100 new in '66. Handled better than anything I'd had before.
Stuck to the tarmac like velcro.

Have to agree, Ted, compared with the contemporary offerings from Ford and Vauxhall it was great... but I suspect that the poster is a rwd enthusiast and therefore any early fwd car would be rubbish... each to their own, eh!
My eight driving lessons were in an 1100 in mid-1964 and I still remember the model with great affection. The interior space including headroom, even in the back, was remarkable for the size of vehicle, just as with the Mini.
The British car industry's finest hour? - quizman
>>>British Leyland would now own SEAT, Skoda, Audi and VW

If BL had got their incompetent hands on VW/Audi the whole lot would have gone bankrupt many years ago. I wonder what I would have been driving now?

I'm recovering from swine flu, Rattle you've made me laugh. Thanks.
The British car industry's finest hour? - Tornadorot
Okay, how about:

Jowett Javelin - aluminium flat-4 engine, torsion-bar suspension all round, unitary body construction - in 1947.

Jensen Interceptor/FF - American muscle-car engine, Italian styling and (with the FF) "quattro" transmission and ABS in 1966!

Reliant Scimitar GTE - a classic shooting brake from the people who brought you the Robin!

Bristol Fighter - the ultimate British supercar? 1,012bhp and 1,036lb ft in the Fighter T version. Also, a Bristol that looks like it has been styled by a professional (unlike most)!

Have to also mention the Rover SD1, if only for its timeless styling - still looks good more than 30 years on.
"I really never did get what was so bad about the Allegro's design. Sure it was a dumpy little box...."

Quite simply, it should have been a hatchback, as I think Rattle said somewhere above.

It came out in 1973 and could have stolen a march on the Golf (1974). Given that BL could design the Maxi (so right in so many ways) why couldn't they produce a smaller, nippier version? I have never been able to follow the logic, if indeed there was any.

Logic surely dictated that if you were going to go for a saloon, you should have a 3-box design allowing a large boot (as in the Cortina or BL's own Marina) with an estate as an alternative. If you design something looking like the Allegro and Princess, what was the point of NOT making them into hatchbacks? The subsequent hatchback Ambassador rather proved the point as far as the Princess wa concerned.
The British car industry's finest hour? - sandy56
I enjoyed this blog so much I thought I would join in- not in any particular order-

Morris 1100 get three and make one good one- would outrun just aboout all hot ford escorts- leave them for dead on a wet windy road.

Mini as above but not as comfortable and you couldnt give 6 guys in it.

MG b-and midget fun but handling not the best

Montego great solid reliable family car- better handling loaded up than the cavalier.

ford cortina flimsy but good.

E type fragile and dangerous and small.

lotus europa fun tooo small.

land rover too crude for anything other than farm lanes.

range rover good but too thirsty and fragile.

rover 105 what a car! good for 110 mph and smoothmmm

rover p6 3.5l good but small.

vauxhall wyvern- solid family car

great blog. thanks

The British car industry's finest hour? - barney100
Got to be the Morris Minor, its just British through and through with the Traveller variant very useful. I liked the dipswitch on the floor and it it was gloriously simple. those were the days of diy on cars with points and distributor caps, oil changes in a few minutes on a satutday morning. I lift the bonnet now on my modern machine then close it quick and seek help expensive help at the garage.
.....and a brake master cylinder in the chassis where it rotted unseen and was a right pain to remove and re-fit.
The British car industry's finest hour? - Mr.Tee43
Just seen this thread, and not sure what a Rover P6 is, but when I was a nipper with a Saturday job, one of my regular tasks was to wash and clean the Directors (Of a Textile Mill) Rover 3500 V8
not the SD1 type but the older Rover 2000 type if that makes any sense.

He used to get a new one every year and the local garage would deliver it to the mill for inspection.

The one he had was British Racing Green with tan leather interior and I thought it was just fantastic, it just oozed quality ! To wash and clean it was such a pleasure and I was getting paid as well.

A few years later, I got a ride in one on a nice sunny day. The Beach Boys " Good Vibrations" was playing on the 8 track and the memory that I still have was just how quiet and smooth and luxurious it was after driving my own Hillman Imp. It was driving bliss !

I know that the engine was derived from a Buick V8, but I reckon that car deserved to be in the
"Great" catagory.

The British car industry's finest hour? - Tornadorot
Just seen this thread and not sure what a Rover P6 is but when I
was a nipper with a Saturday job one of my regular tasks was to wash
and clean the Directors (Of a Textile Mill) Rover 3500 V8
not the SD1 type but the older Rover 2000 type if that makes any sense.

Yes, that's a P6!

Rover's internal designations used to start with "P" until they were assimilated into BL's Specialist Division ("Specialist" meaning "posh", it would seem), hence the SD1.