New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - NooNoosdad
I am in the market to by a new car but put off by ther fact that most of the big manufacturera are not supplying a spare wheel but instead some sort of emergency kit for making a temporary repair.
My question is, once this temporary repair is made, does this make the tyre useless or can it be repaired in the normal manner.
Signed
Confused ?
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - rtj70
Most repairers won't repair a tyre if these temporary repair cans are used. but some might.

What car are you after? Some let you specify a space saver as an option when ordering (e.g. Skoda Octavia). So it might also depend if you mean new or second hand (but new to you).

Edited by rtj70 on 12/08/2009 at 12:36

New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Robin Reliant
Tyre shops vary between free of charge for regular customers to about fifteen quid when it comes to puncture repairs. This is based on the job taking about ten minutes. Take a tyre in that needs about an hours worth of serious elbow grease to clean off a load of sticky goo and you can see why they don't want to know.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - TedCrilly
Speaking realisticaly, there is no guarantee that any puncture can be safely repaired, tyre-goo or not. Far too many factors relating to the nature of the damge involved.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - captain chaos
To the OP
If you're buying a new car tell the salesman you want a full sized spare.
No full sized spare, no sale.
Some cars do not have space for a full size spare and some no space at all.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - captain chaos
That's just bad design then.
Give 'em a can of silly string and half a dozen cup holders and they'll be happy
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - ifithelps
Most Fords have the option of a spacesaver, but if you go with goo, the well underneath the boot floor where the wheel would have been is handy for storage.

In my case: polish, window cleaner, polishing/cleaning cloths, bottle of water, freebie cagoul I got from somewhere, knife, torch and a tow rope.

Now wouldn't you rather have that lot than a spare wheel?

Edited by ifithelps on 12/08/2009 at 17:37

My Mondeo III had a space saver - option was for a full size but elected to not go for it knowing the lease company try to use all too readily instead of replacing two worn tyres. And then you end up with potentially mismatched tyres.

My current car has a fully size space inside which sits the sub-woofer (Mazda6)... so the wheel is part of the speaker system essentially. There would be nowhere for the sub-woofer if the wheel was not there.

The problem with space savers can come when you need to use it - where do you put the dirty full sized wheel? Especially if the boot was full.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Martin Devon
The problem with space savers can come when you need to use it - where
do you put the dirty full sized wheel? Especially if the boot was full.

In the hedge with the rest of them like around here!!!!

MD
Think I'll keep my alloy somewhere more appropriate if I have to swap a wheel.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - ijws15
Her first A2 came with a space saver, and a LARGE heavy duty Audi branded plastic bag.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - old crocks
In my Focus wheel well I have a tow rope, jump leads, jack, wheel brace, heavy duty gloves, towing eye, footpump, a few other tools.........and there's still room for the spacesaver!
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - nick
I looked at a diesel Legacy Outback today and was surprised to see a full-size spare. The Forester has one as well.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - alfatrike
also remember to get the shorter wheel bolts for holding a steel spare on. alloy ones won't do as they are longer and don't hold the thinner steel wheel tight.

Boring

Edited by Pugugly on 12/08/2009 at 21:14

thanks moderator, it may be 'boring' but the last person i know who did it destroyed their spare wheel when the holes were ovaled AND had to get a new disc, caliper and hub aswell as a new set of bolts.

alf (is that ok?)
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - the swiss tony
In my case: polish window cleaner polishing/cleaning cloths bottle of water freebie cagoul I got from somewhere knife torch and a tow rope.
Now wouldn't you rather have that lot than a spare wheel?

Hmmmm let me think....

Xmas day.... 100 miles from home, expected back home in 2 hours for dinner (turkey in oven) what do I do... I know! Ill polish the car, and clean the windows!
Ah... its just started raining..................

FULL size spare please!
...Ah... its just started raining......

Time for the cagoul, I might be stranded, but at least I can keep dry.

Reminds me of when the water pump on my Cortina failed on a Christmas Day as I was on my way to dinner with the family 100 or so miles away.

AA Relay man was delighted to have something to do, and he got me there in time to stuff myself with turkey.

He was even more delighted when my brother gave him a bottle of Scotch - bro' used to get given several bottles at Christmas by business contacts and he can't stand the stuff, so was glad to get rid of it.
...Ah... its just started raining......
Time for the cagoul I might be stranded but at least I can keep dry.

Id rather wear the cagoul, whilst changing the wheel!
Sods law, when you get a puncture, you wont have a signal on your mobile.....

OK... lets agree to disagree to the need or not, of a spare (full size or not)

How about this for an idea?
all cars to be designed and built, with a space big enough for a full size wheel, and for the customer to decide whether to fill the space with a spare, or other stuff?
(the space would need to be able to hold a full size wheel, as thats what you take OFF the car!)
...OK... lets agree to disagree to the need or not, of a spare (full size or not)...

I'd not really made my mind up either way, it's just that the CC3 comes without so I sort of went with the flow.

I did the same with the previous Focus which came with a spacesaver.

That, and I've not had a puncture in years - a statement I will probably come to regret. :)

New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Hamsafar
There is no ordinary reason that goo should stop a repairer repairing a tyre. I used this a few years ago, Holts Tyreweld, and was very worried about the tyre being taken off and suddenly a sticky mess pouring out. I warned the man and he didn't seem bothered, he removed the tyre on the machine, there was no mess, it doesn't run out and is not sticky to touch.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - gordonbennet
Must get some of this magic goo, fantastic to think it can rebuild those torn sidewall cords that the nail through the tread has been cutting with each revolution....sarcastic, yes and with good reason, until the tyre is removed and inspected you have no idea whats happened to the inside.

If i had to buy a used car with no spare i'd source one and just put up with the loss of boot space, though it would have to be something very special to be worth it.

New car no spare...not a chance.

Those that buy them are to blame, if cheapskate makers can't sell 'em without spare wheels they'll soon put them back in.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Bagpuss
My last car didn't even have a spare wheel well. It also had different sized, directional tyres. So it would theoretically have needed 4 spare wheels to cover all eventualities. Never got to use the can of gunk, though the tyre pressure warning system once frightened the living daylights out of me by sounding a low tyre pressure alarm whilst I was travelling at an "interesting" speed on the autobahn. Turned out to be a false alarm.

I once had a car that had different sized wheels front to back (an MR2) as well as directional tyres.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Pugugly
I honestly don't care :-(
I was once told by a manufactures Rep, that on average you only get a puncture every 3-4 years, and so a spare is a waste of space, and weight.

next time I saw him, I showed the 2 invoices, dated 3 weeks apart, for puncture repairs on nearly new tyres, I then said, 'So Im ok for nearly 10 years now then?'

I want - nay - demand a spare in my boot.... (BTW guess what... My odd sized spare is on my car as we speak...)
It is on reflection, statistically a waste of time carrying a spare wheel.
When I think how often I have needed to fit one, rather than just re-inflate a slow puncture, it is no more necessary than many other spares which have caused breakdowns. There are plenty of mobile tyre fitters and with mobile phones and mobile internet, there is no need for me. It will seem normal to have no spare to people who pass their test today onwards. End of an era, like not needing a spare fanbelt.
And that is something I mourn..
the ability to repair a broken down car on the roadside...

Maybe the older car did breakdown more regularly, but they didnt do it so terminally.....
10 minutes work normally had you back on the road, those 10 minutes are now spent being loaded on the back of a lowloader.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Sofa Spud
It seems crazy that lots of cars come without a proper full-sized spare wheel and tyre. I know punctures are rarer than they used to be, but not supplying a spare is a retrograd step.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 12/08/2009 at 21:44

New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Martin Devon
It seems crazy that lots of cars come without a proper full-sized spare wheel and
tyre. I know punctures are rarer than they used to be but not supplying a
spare is a retrograd step.

What does retrograd mean?

M.
An old fashioned town in Russia.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Robin Reliant
There are plenty of mobile tyre fitters and with mobile phones and mobile internet
there is no need for me. It will seem normal to have no spare to
people who pass their test today onwards.

Try living in the country and working unsocial hours, using your car to call on customers whose hamlets don't even show on the map before you say that. And if I could always get a mobile signal, half the time I wouldn't have a clue where I was. Single track roads with grass down the middle have neither a name or number.

Give me a spare everytime.

Try living in the country and working unsocial hours using your car to call on
customers whose hamlets don't even show on the map before you say that.
Give me a spare everytime.

RR, a man after my own heart.
Like I said earlier... please build cars where WE the user have the choice......
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - dieselfitter
BMW are presumably out of the picture then? (no, I don't have one)
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - AlastairW
Spares have been deleted from cars for a number of reasons, but these days I suspect it is CO2. A full size spare weighs quite a bit, so removing that weight helps fuel consumption and may help the maker to hit one of magical cut off points for CO2 eg: 119 g/km.

Doesnt stop me wanting a full size spare, mind you.
I suppose it gives you something to sell on E-Bay along with the tool kit when you flog it.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - LikedDrivingOnce
Spares have been deleted from cars for a number of reasons but these days I
suspect it is CO2.

Yes - I think that you are right. "Green" issues seem to be the be-all and end-all these days.

I personally would always want a want a proper spare tyre in my cars.

There ARE some good arguments for run-flats - not stopping in dodgy areas (e.g. London), women drivers not wanting to stop at all, being able to carry on to your destination without changing a wheel etc. Good arguments - but I'm not quite convinced.

However, I don't think that providing run-flat tyres is anywhere near as bad as a can of foam and a compressor to re-inflate the damaged tyre.

Edited by LikedDrivingOnce on 13/08/2009 at 01:26

New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Avant
The simple answer is surely to make it a no-cost option. Most of us, I suspect, would choose it.

It could be a delete option, but price / weight / CO2 factors would make the no-cost option a better bet.

Brilliant definition of retrograd, PU !

Edited by Avant on 13/08/2009 at 00:44

New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - NooNoosdad
Yesterday I took the opprtunity to visit some new car dealers and found that the majority are either just supplying emergency 'Goo' or some have the option of buying a spare wheel. Maybe I'm just being a bit old fashioned in my outlook ? - I have to admit that modern tyres do seem more puncture proof and I actually cannot remember the last time I actually had a flat and had to change the wheel at the roadside.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - ijws15
In the last 5 years I have had one puncture (M25)

Wife has had 2 punctures and one blistered tyre

In which time between us we have driven around 200k, so one every 50K?

Give me a spare I can put on the car - even if it is a space saver.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Altea Ego
I have only had one car with no spare and a can of goo, that was the Touran.

I have had only one puncture in the last 6 years and 120k miles.

Yup it was the Touran. I called the mobile tyre man out - refused to use to the goo.

There is no reason not to have a space saver fiitted in all new cars.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - Miller
All depends on the circumstances really. If its lashing down with rain and I'm only a few miles from home I think I would risk the tyre weld stuff. After all would it not be on sale if it was not considered safe to use.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - L'escargot
Although I personally would never buy a car which didn't have a spare wheel of some description, I can nevertheless appreciate the manufacturers' dilemma. They have to choose a specification for their car which will make it the right size, specification, and (most importantly) price for the intended market sector. Nowadays customers demand so many features that to include everything would make the price prohibitive. The last time I had a puncture was probably 30 years ago so the specification of the spare wheel ~ provided it has one ~ isn't important to me. Similarly, there are features which other people see as absolutely essential that I'm not bothered about ~ climate control rather than plain aircon, satnav, Bluetooth, cruise control etc etc etc.
What is the weight of a tyre and wheel assembly? I'm thinking about 16Kg for a Mondeo sized car. I wonder how much fuel is saved per annum by ditching this weight?
as with all space it will get filled with other stuff, all you need is a can of oil, a large jerry can of screenwash and a can of petrol and it will weigh the same. one gain is another loss.
New Cars No Spare Wheel Supplied - henry k
What is the weight of a tyre and wheel assembly? I'm thinking about 16Kg for a Mondeo sized car.

>>
Just followed a new Bently Continental R and noticed two things.
The spare was dangling in its cage underneath the boot. I cannot imagine the owner, in person, dealing with a wheel change :-(
The other thing was the centre brake light was not working ( or is it some clever job that only works at 1 G braking ?)