idiots towing trailers - alfatrike
as a professional coach driver i am frustrated by countless idiots towing at illegal and dangerous speeds. my coach is limited to 62mph by law and i am forever being over AND UNDERTAKEN by eejets towing. the law changed in 1997 to give newly qualified drivers a total trailer limit of 750 Kgs. how many people who passed their test in '97 at the age of 18 are now 30 with a wife and a couple of kids and a caravan. i don't know of many caravans that way less than 750 Kgs.

sorry i started to rant. what can i do? i can't ram them off the road as they are gone past to fast and if i phone the police they aren't bothered.

idiots towing trailers - Manatee
I don't doubt you've seen a lot of idiots towing, but you're wrong about the licence changes.

In short, those who passed their tests on or after 1 January 1997, but haven't passed an additional trailer test, can tow a trailer provided that -

- the combined MAM (maximum authorised mass) of the towing vehicle and trailer does not exceed 3500Kg; and

- the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen weight of the towing vehicle.

That gives quite a bit of scope, and would for example allow such a driver to tow my 1200Kg MAM trailer with my CRV (MAM 2140Kg, unladen weight/kerbweight about 1600Kg).

Edited by Manatee on 10/08/2009 at 22:11

idiots towing trailers - Sofa Spud
The worst offenders for speeding with trailers are people using them in the course of work, usually attached to vans, double-cab pick-ups or high-powred 4x4s. Typically a Range Rover towing a car transporter trailer carrying a classic sports car doing 80 mph sort of thing.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 10/08/2009 at 22:22

living in the westcountry i have a constant battle with caravaners and trailer tenters. most of them can't see what is going on behind as they don't have extended mirrors. i welcome the money the trade could generate but most of them bring all of the food they will want in the 'orrible plastic box behind the car.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/08/2009 at 01:43

idiots towing trailers - Simon
If you are often undertaken easily by these idiots, maybe you are in the wrong lane yourself???
corrected, just checked dvla website. but that doesn't help with what to do with the speeders.
i could shoot one of the trailer tyres but they might not like that and it might make a bit of a mess.

do these people (i say that in the loosest of terms) not know they are breaking the law or are they just ignorant?

idiots towing trailers - RakebeckBob
Now you want to 'shoot their tyres out' as well as 'ramming them off the road'
And you are a 'professional coach driver'?
I'd not want to ride in your coach.
No wonder they hightail it past you - to get out of your way.
idiots towing trailers - RakebeckBob
I very much doubt you will see many thirty year olds 'with a wife & two kids towing a caravan' at any speed let alone in excess of 62mph.
I am an experienced caravanner (since 1973) and on motorways, conditions allowing, I tow at 60 mph on cruise control. On a journey from say Leeds to Portsmouth I doubt if I would be overtaken by more than three or four outfits usually towed by bigger, heavier cars than mine.
Whilst it is illegal to tow at more than 60mph, it is not necessarily unsafe. Higher towing speeds are permitted on the continent.
I find that it is more likely a coach will overtake me (keeping as close as possible to make the bow wave cause the caravan to sway).
As for what you can do? It sounds to me like you would like to ram them off the road if you could.
Whose the eejit?

RakebeckBob
i'm sorry you misunderstood my words. i will only use the middle lane to overtake. as i am leaving a safe stopping distance to the vehicle infront when i start to pull out it gives one of them the space and oppertunity to undertake. as i said i leave a safe sepperation distance. as for the unsafe speed. when they go past me at 70+ they are starting so squirm and fishtail but as i said they can't see this as they don't have the right mirrors.

idiots towing trailers - 1400ted
Yet another one joining the annual tirade against caravanners, who are enjoying a perfectly legal pursuit, the great majority in a perfectly legal manner.

Ted
I've never had anything against caravanners although you do get the occasional bad one like you do with all types of road users. I did think about taking up caravanning myself but we haven't really got anywhere to keep a 'van so I gave up the idea. OK it can be mildly irritating being stuck behind a caravan but then White Van Man gets a bit irritated when he's stuck behind me doing 30 mph in a 30 limit!

As for trailer tenters being a nuisance - I've never had any problems with them although, of course, they are subjected to the same speed limits as caravans. And anyway, think of every trailer tent you see as one less caravan on the road!!!

woah, steady on. let me set one thing straight. I AM NOT ANTI CARAVAN. i am just greatly annoyed by the people who either don't understand or choose to break the law weather they are towing a caravan, trailer tent, tin box trailer, a car on a trailer or even using a tow rope or bar. my comments are made in jest and if you can't understand that i appologise. i thought most people could understand sarcasm even if i can't spell it.

idiots towing trailers - kithmo
woah steady on. let me set one thing straight. I AM NOT ANTI CARAVAN. i
am just greatly annoyed by the people who either don't understand or choose to break
the law weather they are towing a caravan trailer tent tin box trailer a car
on a trailer or even using a tow rope or bar.

So you're just anti-anybodywithatowbar, then ;0)
I'm actually anti-middlelanehoggers, especially of vehicles with speed limiters. It seems to me that you are under anticipating you catch-up speed with the vehicle that you are about to overtake and are out into the middle lane too early, afraid you may have to slow down and wait for a gap when you are nearer.
idiots towing trailers - smokie
I used to tow and rest assured, you can tell when it's starting to fishtail without using the mirrors...
idiots towing trailers - old crocks
......the horizon starts to rotate. ;-)
what?

idiots towing trailers - bell boy
i know what you mean alfatrike
and as someone said its usually the l200 type pickups with 3 tonne on the back and them on the phone
it annoys the hell out of me too and im always wary they are going to have a blowout as they get level with me
not many caravans pass me though but the ones that do as i believe already said also dont have extending mirrors
to summarise as in any class of motorists there are morons out there
to summarise as in any class of motorists there are morons out there

well said, i'm not having a go at all of them ONLY the bad ones.

idiots towing trailers - pda
I think this is all about coaches being limited to 60mph :)

It happened some time later than lorries being limited to 56mph, and since coaches are not allowed to use the outside lane on a motorway, now causes a lot of resentment when they lose that 4mph stuck behind lorries.

Typical British way of handling speed limits is to give two classes of veicles a 4mph difference, but confine them to the same lanes.

Let's have all coaches down to 56mph, then I may feel safe going on one again:)

Pat

Edited by pda on 11/08/2009 at 06:57

idiots towing trailers - b308
well said i'm not having a go at all of them ONLY the bad ones.

I have to say that thats not how it comes across.

So you are in the middle lane and one comes up your inside, I don't condone what he's doing but it would also seem as though you aren't overtaking anything either so should be on the inside!

But we all know thats not how it works... if a driver thinks they will eventually overtake the vehicle on the inside lane they will sit in the middle lane forever, be they car, lorry or coach driver! Which then leads to long queues of traffic in the middle lane and nothing but the odd car on the inside and loads of frustrated drivers, hence, I suspect, your frustration!!

Edited by b308 on 11/08/2009 at 10:04

idiots towing trailers - Lud
I saw a Murphy lorry once towing a small concrete mixer on two rubber-tyred wheels, a fairly tall and heavy object.

The concrete mixer was snaking and oscillating from one wheel to the other in a continuous process, and the driver wasn't slowing down.

I dropped well back and let it depart.
I doubt he even knew it was doing that... they can't even see the thing from the drivers seat and it would have no effect on the vehicles performance... I must admit thats one thing that should be compulsary when towing - if you can't see what you are towing from the drivers seat you shouldn't be towing it... how can you tell if it is being towed safely if you can't see it?!
He must have been able to feel it jerking the back of the lorry from side to side b308. It was only a 3-tonner.

Even after working a pneumatic drill all day he would have felt it through the seat of his pants surely?
You or I might, but not everyone would, and even if he did, do you think he could care less?!
idiots towing trailers - Kevin
>The concrete mixer was snaking and oscillating from one wheel to the other in a continuous process,

A couple of years ago a friend of ours who is a sometime van-driver/aspiring musician told us a story about when he accepted an offer to earn a few beer tokens by doing a driving job for a regular in our local who owns an 'events' company.

The job was to drive up to somewhere in Oxfordshire with a LR Defender and pickup a trailer loaded with six portaloos.

He was on the way back on the A34 approaching Newbury when the loaded trailer began to fishtail behind him. He nearly overturned the trailer but eventually managed to get things under control.

It was only when he got back to base that he realised that the portaloos were 'full' and what the resulting mess would have been if he'd lost it.

Yuck!

Kevin...
idiots towing trailers - zookeeper

The concrete mixer was snaking and oscillating from one wheel to the other in a
continuous process and the driver wasn't slowing down.
I dropped well back and let it depart.

i saw similar on police camera action about 20 years ago and again yesterday ( i wish they would show some new footage for a change) that goes for all the tv channels actually
idiots towing trailers - Martin Devon
That goes for all the tv channels actually

Ronnie Barker.
idiots towing trailers - dieselfitter
Alfatrike,

Here's a thought. I tow a small, aerodynamic pop-top caravan behind an A6, usually on cruise control on motorways, at just about the same speed as your limiter, which is also my legal maximum for towing. In my experience, there are very few caravans running faster than me - on a recent trip to Cornwall, I might have been overtaken by two or three. I can easily hold this speed on motorway gradients, unless I'm baulked by a truck or coach in lane 2, which happens pretty frequently. I'm not allowed in lane 3, as you know. I don't condone undertaking and will often sit for mile after mile waiting for a truck to get out my way. It doesn't surprise me that some caravanners are tempted to undertake in these circumstances - ESPECIALLY IF LANE 1 IS CLEAR BECAUSE A SLOWER HEAVY VEHICLE IS HOGGING LANE 2!!!
in this instance i'm NOT talking about hgv and pcv users hogging the centre lane. this is something i can not condone in any way.
i am a highly qualified driver when compaired with most other road users. i have motorbike, car, car and trailer (upto MAM), 7.5 T, 7.5T and trailer (upto MAM), hgv class 2 and pcv. i have taken and passed these tests ALL seperately. if someone sees the safe seperation distance i have left to the slower vehicle infront as i start to overtake it as an opertunity to save themselves as little as a minute and chooses to undertake that is a mistake THEY have made. as i have already said I DO NOT tailgate other vehicles as i know and understand this massively dangerous.

i am just wondering if the people who speed, undertake and use the third lane whilst towing KNOW they are doing wrong? or are they choosing to break the law?

{silly and pointless signature removed, as per all the others. PLEASE TAKE NOTE and refrain from using it!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/08/2009 at 22:00

I tow a small, aerodynamic pop-top caravan

Ditto - an Eriba in our case. I had exactly the same thought reading this thread yesterday. When clear and in good conditions I tow at a true 60mph, the legal limit for the combination, on motorways - I am rarely overtaken by caravans.

I do though see a number without extension mirrors who should have them - time for a campaign on that. They think they can get by because they can see close behind in adjacent lanes - but they can't see fast moving traffic further away, or directly behind at all.
idiots towing trailers - Nomag
Well I am one of your "30 year olds", well actually I'm 28 (and 3/4). I tow a perfectly legal outfit with total MAM of 3400kg (Skoda Octavia Estate + Compass Corona 524).

I passed my test in January 1998 (age 17) frustratingly meaning that I will have to take my B+E this year as we have just ordered an S-Max, and despite the fact that I will effectively be safer towing with this car due to the increased kerbweight, it takes me over 3500kg total MAM.

I'm actually all in favour of all drivers being required to take some sort of profeciency test/training prior to towing a caravan - otherwise you are really "learning as you go". I'm very careful, my outfit is stable, and I do my best to avoid annoying heavy/coach drivers by sticking to the speed of the lorry in front (56- 58mph) on motorways.

I get very frustrated when drivers such as yourself brand young caravanners with the same brush. Firstly we are few and far between (I'm a member of the camping and caravanning club, and I'm yet to meet anyone as young as me who has a van), I suspect because caravanning doesn't generally appeal to those as young as me. The unstable units I see tend to be overloaded old vans towed by commercial vehicles, or over-width Hobby's towed by a conventional 4x4.

But thank you for your helpful comments. I really look forward to being overtaken by you at 63mph on your limiter downhill as you try and ram me off the road.
i agree with you most of the way. i am NOT having a go at caravaners, old or young. i am asking if other people in your situation are as aware of the law as you are. if you read the text again you will see i stated, in jest, it was the people undertaking me and overtaking me in the third lane both at high speed that i ame peeved by.

{sig removed YET AGAIN#!!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/08/2009 at 22:05

idiots towing trailers - dieselfitter
Manatee

Spotted - the "small, aerodynamic pop-top caravan" is an Eriba. Do you frequent the Eriba forum (www.eribaforum.co.uk)? The issue of extension mirrors comes up there from time to time, and opinion is divided on it. I'm strongly in favour, and find they make a big difference to my view of following traffic.
Do you frequent the Eriba forum

A very useful forum IMO. Don't think we'll get away with Eriba talk here though :-(

With you on the towing mirrors - why would anybody choose not to have a better view behind?
idiots towing trailers - TheOilBurner
Why is there so much attention given to caravan/trailer tuggers who break the rules or drive inconsiderately?

It's not like you don't see countless examples of poor driving and ignorance day-in, day-out for vehicles that don't have anything attached to the back...

I dunno. Last time I drove down from the Midlands to Cornwall with the trailer, I didn't break 60mph all the way, I didn't undertake anyone or pull in too sharply after an overtake. And I guess my journey took much longer for driving so.

I, in short, behaved myself. Where's all the threads praising the drivers who behave themselves when towing? ;)

Now coach drivers, there's a topic you can rant about... accelerating to 70mph downhill (legal UK maximum) to try and overtake caravans etc, only for the speed limiter (EU 62mph maximum...) to cut in up-hill, so they get caught mid overtake...

Where to start with the generalisations?
Is it actually an offence to undertake if no accident occurs?
Can someone clarify please.

Pat
No doubt DVD will clarify, but I'm sure it is, certainly according to the HC. There are certain occassions when it is legal, but in normal motorway/dual carriageway conditions it is... but so's using the middle/outer lane when not overtaking anything which is whats happenning when someone is able to undertake in the first place...

Edited by b308 on 12/08/2009 at 08:51

idiots towing trailers - Cliff Pope
The distinction seems to be whether you deliberately move over in order to undertake, or whether the lane you are already in just happens through some quirk of traffic conditions ahead to be moving faster than the lane on your right.

But I can see a grey area where say you move over into the left hand lane with your caravan, but the person in the middle lane stays there. Then supposing your combination actually has the power to maintain speed, but the lane hogger lets his drop on the approaching hill?
A responsible caravanner would naturally want to keep left on a hill, but equally wants to maintain speed so as not to slow everyone up further up the hill.
A bit like the argument HGV drivers use about cars that deliberately baulk them, forcing them either to lose speed on a hill or move over and undertake.
My understanding is that the offence ( if the undertaking manouvre causes an accident) is 'without due care', but I'm not sure this is right.

Pat
idiots towing trailers - the swiss tony
A bit like the argument HGV drivers use about cars that deliberately baulk them forcing
them either to lose speed on a hill....

May I take this opportunity to come clean and admit I did just that this morning?
I had just pulled out my drive, and had accelerated to an indicated 35mph (true 30 according to sat nav)
(road is a residential A road 30MPH limit)
A truck came up behind me, doing I estimate 45+, he started flashing his lights and sounding his horn (we were going UP hill....)
I stuck at 35(ind) wound down my window, pointed at a 30 sign, and then raised THREE fingers....
more flashes, more tooting.
I lifted my right foot, and lowered my speed to 25(ind)
More lights, more toots...
OK said I, Ive had enough....
...so I slowed to 15.... then accelerated back up to 35 (ind) after a few 100 yards.

'Its 30 for a reason......'
Good lord Swiss, I never realised what a splendid fellow you are.

Congratulations. You have defined yourself permanently as a self-righteous mimser and deliberate PITA. Just what we need on the roads. Someone who does on purpose what masses of hopeless incompetents do because they don't know any better.

Again: congratulations.

Loud and prolonged raspberry. I admire a man who boasts about his deliberately crap driving. Ugh.

Edited by Lud on 12/08/2009 at 21:41

Loud and prolonged raspberry. I admire a man who boasts about his deliberately crap driving.
Ugh.

And excess speed in a built up area isnt crap driving?

Arrgghhh!
idiots towing trailers - FP
"I...lowered my speed to 25...I slowed to 15..."

I've got a lot of sympathy, but it has to be said - such behaviour is provocative and probably achieves little, other than a little self-righteous satisfaction on the one hand and much angry frustration on the other.
idiots towing trailers - ifithelps
Don't like bullies, and in this case the lorry driver is acting as one.

Well done, Swiss Tony, for having the courage to stand up to it.
QUOTE:...."">> A bit like the argument HGV drivers use about cars that deliberately baulk them forcing
them either to lose speed on a hill....

May I take this opportunity to come clean and admit I did just that this morning?
I had just pulled out my drive, and had accelerated to an indicated 35mph (true 30 according to sat nav)
(road is a residential A road 30MPH limit)
A truck came up behind me, doing I estimate 45+, he started flashing his lights and sounding his horn (we were going UP hill....)
I stuck at 35(ind) wound down my window, pointed at a 30 sign, and then raised THREE fingers....
more flashes, more tooting.
I lifted my right foot, and lowered my speed to 25(ind)
More lights, more toots...
OK said I, Ive had enough....
...so I slowed to 15.... then accelerated back up to 35 (ind) after a few 100 yards.

'Its 30 for a reason......' ""

I was being followed by an artic and at the bottom of a long uphill drag on a main road were some roadworks. The lights changed to red before I got to them. I could see there was no oncoming traffic and there were workmen working on the road. But it was a red light, so I stopped. The lorry driver went apoplectic, shouting, hooting his horn and flashing his lights. When the lights changed, I drove off up the hill, parked in a lay-by and took the number of the lorry and the name of the company. When I got home I phoned the company and reported the driver - I got a sort of 'oh, yes, HIM, what's new?' kind of reaction. This was may years ago. I've been an HGV driver myself so I know about wanting to keep up momentum before a long uphill climb but I'd never have expected a car in front to go though a red light for me!
"I...lowered my speed to 25...I slowed to 15..."
I've got a lot of sympathy but it has to be said - such behaviour
is provocative and probably achieves little other than a little self-righteous satisfaction on the one hand and much angry frustration on the other.

And you would have.... sped up?
I actually felt at risk, there are side turnings and if I had to brake sharply he WOULD have hit me, as Im sure he couldnt have seen my brake lights - he was THAT close.
Id rather an impact at 15, than at 45.......
idiots towing trailers - FP
Somehow I doubt you slowed down THAT much in order to reduce the risk of being rear-ended; that sounds like a piece of post-rationalisation to me. Your waving of fingers (even if it was three rather than two) doesn't seem part of a safety strategy either.

"And you would have.... sped up?" - Nope. I would have stuck to 30. Not speeding up is good; slowing down a lot is potentially dangerous.
another 3 this morning on the way to work.

i'm in the car at 70 in lane 1. overtaken at 75+ by a focus towing a wooden trailer so rotten it could grow mushrooms, he was being overtaken by a vectra pulling one of those trailers made of the tin they make biscuit barrels from, taller than it was wide.
and then a bmw 5 series soft top with what looked like a small ferry behind. the light board was waveing around so much the ends were getting scraped off, and it wasn't plugged in.

if the law won't punnish them atleast their mpg will.

alf
idiots towing trailers - Old Navy
BMW 5 series soft top?
i think it was, went past to quick to see.
Probably a 3 series, but I would not be surprised if an oil rich arab or a footballer has had a 5 series one off soft top built.
idiots towing trailers - OldSock
Thankfully, one fewer to worry about.

A1 south of Stamford this afternoon - one caravan in flat-pack form astride the central reservation.

Shame.
idiots towing trailers - Ben 10
"great majority in a perfectly legal manner."

I beg to differ. I just wish there were some traffic police out there to make them see the error of their ways.

On my way back to London from Cornwall yesterday,I lost count of the caravans being towed by vehicles without the attached extended mirrors. How on earth do they expect to see around the caravan when overtaking. Not a minority. The majority I'm afraid.

Motorcyclists, especially, beware.
idiots towing trailers - smokie
When I used to tow, extended mirrors didn't give one any great advantage over ordinary door mirrors, what with door mirrors being so large these days. Can't really see a problem with that, except possibly from apoplexy from other busybody drivers getting steamed up about it :-)
idiots towing trailers - Westpig
If cars towing caravans have the time to undertake a coach, then the coach is in the wrong lane.

It's been a while since i've towed anything for any length of time, but when I did I noticed the following:

My combination was quite heavy (Rover 600 towing Triumph 2000) so speed wasn't really an option anyway...but...nevertheless;

1,CLOG was still a problem. Occasionally whilst in lane 1, i'd catch something in lane 2. My speed was generally sat at 65mph on the speedo, so probably 62mph in reality (i'd have the occasional foray up to 70mph (67)to achieve overtakes.... and once achieved 75 (72), although things got a bit fraught, so that went off the agenda, sharpish). If you caught them up, pull out behind them, wait, wait some more, then flash the headlights, you'd have one of three things happen: A, they'd speed up (then eventually you'd catch them again); B, they'd pull over and glare at you as you came past; C, they'd ignore you and continue in the middle lane.

Eventually I worked it out. Ignore them and ensure there was a big enough gap and undertake. Far easier and safer, because by flashing lights at them, some got all annoyed; there was no way I was going to risk lane 3, apart from the illegality it's dangerous and i didn't wish to sit forever behind them, so I chose the lesser of the evils.

2, it's amazing how many people find it impossible to maintain a steady speed.

3, it's amazing how many people seemingly NEVER look in their mirror

We need a national campaign to prevent mimser's hogging the middle lane, backed up by enforcement. How many of our 4 or 5 lane motorways have these dipsticks hovering in lane 3 or 4?

If cars towing caravans have the time to undertake a coach then the coach is
in the wrong lane.

yes BUT the ones that undertake me do so at high speed. they don't crawl past, they zoom past at 70+

centre lane owners club was out in force today. about 50% would not pull into lane one, even with nothing in sight and another car tailgateing them.

i just sat back and let them get on with their stressed little lives.
idiots towing trailers - jase1
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The way to fix MLOCs, if there is NOTHING else on the road, is to carefully overtake them on lane 3, pull into lane 2 and slow to 10mph slower than their speed.

They soon get out of the way.
idiots towing trailers - deepwith
jase, if there is NOTHING else on the read, why on earth are you allowing them to wind you up? Calm down, dear, as Winner says. If you slow down in front of them, there is only the emergency overtaking (3rd) lane for them to go into - and back to the overtaking lane (middle).
idiots towing trailers - maz64
The way to fix MLOC

Going up to the Lakes (again!) early on Saturday morning on the M6 I came up behind a 106 firmly stuck in the middle lane. Was going to pull out from 1st lane to overtake but a Cheshire police car pulled alongside me.

The police driver indicated left a few times to the 106, but with no effect, so eventually went around it, turned on the roof lights and pulled it over. It was pretty early in the morning though - probably not much else to do.
idiots towing trailers - jase1
Excellent news -- we need more police like that :)
idiots towing trailers - Dynamic Dave
The police driver indicated left a few times to the 106 but with no effect
so eventually went around it turned on the roof lights and pulled it over. It
was pretty early in the morning though - probably not much else to do.

I can remember when the police had LED Matrix Signs in the back window (do they still have them?) Anyway, one of the many messages that they used to flash up to CLOG drivers was to use the nearside lane and it also flashed up a left arrow for good measure.

Coming back down the M40 from Birmingham at 2am the other morning, there were several CLOG drivers. Most were only doing 65 to 70 mph. I got fed up in the end keep on having to pull out from the nearside lane to lane 3 to overtake them and ended up undertaking them instead. No doubt I would have been the one that would have got done for a motoring offence had plod been around.
When I used to tow extended mirrors didn't give one any great advantage over ordinary

Me too, When I put the mirrors on, I can see little more than without them. Door mirrors today are quite big enough, even with my 20ft long van. ( inc. towbar )
Another reason I don't use them now is 'cos on a single carriage way road, every big vehicle coming the other way flips them back against the door. I'm forever opening the window and pushing them back...I've tried a bungee but it just pulls them the other way.

Ted
idiots towing trailers - Pugugly
Interesting report on snaking caravans on some programme I had taped from the late 90s (Yes summer telly is that bad) that I watched the other night - the received wisdom is to accelerate when a rig starts to snake. Some boffin came up with the theory that it was better to slow down. This was proved to be right in the filmed test with the resulting carnage being less when the driver slowed down (limited to the caravan - whoopee !) I, for one, a glad that there is now a separate towing test. I have that class on my licence but did a one day "course" when I got my nice little trailer last year. Pays dividends that.
idiots towing trailers - CGNorwich
Can someone clarify the legal position. I thought towing mirrors are a legal requirement if your caravan is wider than your car, as the law states that you must have adequate view of the rear of the car and along both sides of your caravan.

Would ordinary door mirrors meet this requirement?
ah smokie and 1400ted. your mirrors might be big and you can angle them out BUT that still means you can't see down the sides of the caravan, unless you have one thinner than your car.
Dont some trucks have stickers on the back saying "If you cant see my mirrors, I cant see you!"
idiots towing trailers - gordonbennet
BUT that still means you can't see down the sides of the caravan

Thats why proper caravanners overload the back of the van, then in the ensuing wobbles a good driver can get rythmic pendulum views down both sides during controllable snaking, better than those pesky mirrors..;)
i hope you are joking, although the added benefit of negative hitch weight is reduced rear tyre wear, when they aren't on the ground.
It does depend on the car and 'van re extended mirrors, you should be abke to safely see down the side of the 'van, many newer tow cars are so wide you can do that without extra mirrors and many small 'vans are very narrow... so its not compulsary to have extended mirrors... and there's also some 'vans where you can see through the 'van, we had a couple where you could do that, so rearward vision was quite good...

Edited by b308 on 17/08/2009 at 10:19

The law specifies you must be able to clearly see down both sides of the caravan and 4 metres either side, at a distance of 20 metres behind the caravan.
Therefore, only the widest of cars towing the narrowest of caravans would be legal without towing mirrors.

Pat
You'd be surprised how many of the 4x4s, MPVs and larger cars fit that criteria, Pat. Cars are a lot wider than they used to be!

Though I've not heard of many (if any) accidents being caused by this issue, the issues are more rubbish driving by people, both those who are supposed to be "professionsals" and the rest of us... Which seems to be the knub of this thread.
idiots towing trailers - Rob81
Slightly off topic but last night, when driving back from the Suffolk coast, an Audi A6 3.0 TDI overtook me and the 6 cars infront of me while towing a large sailing dinghy (wayfaryer size). I was almost literally speechless. The road was a narrow and bendy B road and most over the cars being overtaken were closely spaced. I felt quite shaky afterwards!
idiots towing trailers - Ben 10
Some of the ones I saw were indeed being towed by 4x4s. But they were still narrower than the caravan they were towing, so what excuse for the smaller family saloons driving in the same manner.
can see through the 'van we had a couple where you could do that so
rearward vision was quite good...

I can see through our van if I leave the shower room door open....unfortunately, with the fashion for sloping front windows, the light shining on the perspex means vision is bad most of the time.... better years ago when windows were single glazed glass and more or less vertical....probably better in the dark but I tend not to be on the road at night with the van on.

Ted
idiots towing trailers - bathtub tom
I owned a caravan that you could see through when towing.

Unfortunately the front and rear window sills lined up such that you could just see the rear sill above the front sill in the mirror.

The amount of twist in the body was frightening on undulating roads. I can't understand how it remained watertight.

Perhaps all vans twist that much.
idiots towing trailers - NARU
i am forever being ... UNDERTAKEN by eejets towing.

As towing vehicles are not allowed in lane 3, and you're blocking lane 2 how else can they get past?
they are not legally allowed to go past me. the law limits them to 60 mph an i'm doing 62-65 minimum. i am not a member of the CLOC.

my understanding is:

lane 1, general use, everything.

lane 2, overtaking and used with heavy trafic/tailbacks to avoid massive ques.

lane 3, overtaking and NO trailers or vehicles over 7.5 ton. unless given instruction to do so by a police officer or highways agency.

a grey area when it comes to over/undertaking road gritters which have to use the middle lane to give an even spread of their evil metal eating sludge.
clarification would be nice, anybody?
idiots towing trailers - Statistical outlier
Friend's gf is a CPS prosecutor, does a fair bit of dangerous driving etc.

Her take is that passing on the left (except in a slow moving queue) is something you could be nicked for. Whether they would prosecute would depend on the circumstance.

If you are in lane 1 and continue past a CLOG member without manoeuvring, then all else being okay they would probably not push the case. If you move left to go past then they almost certainly would prosecute.

Unfortunately she confirms that this is down to the judgement of the individual prosecutor at the CPS, so in no way guarantees that this is how a particular individual would be treated.

HTH
idiots towing trailers - Pugugly
A counter allegation of "driving without due consideration....." would help in warding off a prosecution.