Short notice help please- parking in Bristol - PW
Hi All,

Apologies for short notice, but just wondered if anyone knew of a good, relatively cheap option for parking all day in Bristol tomorrow (5th August) close to the Bristol Royal Infirmary.

Had thought of either using the Nelson street NCP as from memory is expensive as short term, but is not too bad for long term. Will be parking up about 6.45am and doubt will be leaving much before 5pm.

Option 2 was using the galleries car park, with a drive out and repark during the day as is not too bad up to 4 hours or so.

Many thanks in advance for any alternative suggestions.
Short notice help please- parking in Bristol - sumpnut
Hi PW The $50,000 question is do you have a bus pass, if so use one of the park and rides and get it for free.
Afraid we don't- is one of the options, but think will be quicker just to park in the centre, and think we can get the fees refunded as I have recently been made redundant.
Short notice help please- parking in Bristol - movilogo
Try this site

www.freeparkingspace.co.uk/

They have excellent coverage for London but many other towns are covered as well.
Short notice help please- parking in Bristol - jacks
Go past the Bristol Royal Infirmary (BRI) - driving away from the city centre/cabot circus with the BRI on your right and turn first right (cafe on the corner) into St. Michaels Hill - if you pass Zero Degrees Cafe/Bar/microbrewery on your left you just missed the turn! - go up St. Michaels Hill and it almost immediately becomes a fork - take either option and when you climb to the top of the hill the meter/restricted zone ends and - at 6-45am - you can street park all day for free. Less than 5 minutes walk to BRI. By 8.00am all these areas are full of commuters parking free for the day and walking down the hill into Bristol centre but at 6.45am you won't find a problem especially now that the Uni is closed for the summer vac. Basically you need to park up in the district of Kingsdown.
Depending on exactly wherabouts you need to visit there are other options ie - for Cabot Circus park free in St Pauls area (bit dodgy - stick to the main roads) and for
Waterfront/Harbourside park free in Hotwells area(now gentrified and ok!).

If you must use a carpark they are all v.expensive- cabot circus the dearest - park and ride is a good option £2-80 ish I think and the best one is at M5 junction18 Avonmouth, buses every 5/10 minutes and bus lane all the way into the city centre.

Jacks
Short notice help please- parking in Bristol - jacks
Further to my last post

tinyurl.com/mlcwd9

Park and ride info - it's now £3-50 - and open 6-15am to 8-40pm

If you actually are going to the BRI itself - take the right fork in St Michaels Hill and pass the Bristol Oncology Hospital on your right - when you reach a parade of shops and a pub park in any of the side streets for free. You can go into the Oncology and there is an underground passage taking you directly into the BRI accessed via the lift system. ask at the Oncology reception - they will direct you (used it many times as I was an Oncology in/out patient for 3 yrs 2001-03).

J
Thanks Jacks, sorry to hear why you know the area so well, but happy that all seems well for you know. The visit is to the hospital next door.
Thanks for that Jacks. Had overlooked that, despite knowing St Michaels Hill very well (both daughters were born there). Had tried looking for parking out of the metered section before, but after 8am, so is a brilliant solution.

Many thanks for the quick and perfect response. The other options for Bristol parking are also very gratefully received as do go up there quite often. And yes, Cabot Circus is ridiculously expensive. Luckily found out the charges without using it so have never considered it. They were doing a promotion recently offering an hours parking for £1 so did wonder if the car park was not popular.
Short notice help please- parking in Bristol - Steve Pearce
Had thought of either using the Nelson street NCP as from memory is expensive as
short term but is not too bad for long term. Will be parking up about
6.45am and doubt will be leaving much before 5pm.

I used the Nelson Street NCP once, when I was visiting the nearby Bierkeller for the evening. I assumed there would be a cheap evening rate, but found to my cost they still charged the standard rate, something along the lines of 80p per 20 minutes. Cost me somewhere in the region of £10 for the evening! On my next visit I found that the car park behind the Colston Hall was much cheaper.