Changing Address on Driving licence - FutureBob
Hiya folks

I need to change the address on my driving license. The only problem is that its been one of those 'things' that I've been putting off for a while now and should have been done a few years ago. I have checked out the directgov website which allows you to apply for a change of address online and I have all the applicable details (digital passport, etc).

My only issue is the bit where it says you need to:

provide addresses of where you have lived over the last three years

Well, heh, the address I live at now (ie. the address I want to change my license to) is the same as the address I have been living at for the last 3 years! Now, am I just being paranoid, but is this something that the DVLA will pick up on and get tough about? For instance "why did you not inform us earlier" followed by a juicy and expensive fine. Should I use my old address instead? ( I don't think this is a good idea....)

Just wondered if anyone thinks there is anything to worry about or whether anyone has had any similar things happen..... Yeah, I should have sorted this out a while back but it has never caused issues and just got plonked at the bottom of a very long list entitled 'things to do.'

Cheers - futurebob
Changing Address on Driving licence - retgwte
well at the moment its perfectly legal to have multiple addresses, if they stopped this most of the rock stars in the country would get locked up

i have one address on my licence (where I spend most of my time), and another where the car is registered (where it spends most of its time), and so on, this is the correct way to do it, its more than ok

so while you have not had multiple addresses at the same time I doubt the DVLA will be able to prove that one way or another routinely

quite why they want addresses over the last 3 years is beyond me, does the law really require them to demand this? i doubt it, the ID card act has such provisions but there will be civil unrest if they are ever stupid enough to try and enforce this nonsense on free born brits

so i wouldnt worry about it

Changing Address on Driving licence - Dwight Van Driver
The obligation is to notify change of address at the time you did it and if you didn't that was when the offence was committed.

If its been more than 3 years then limitation on proceedings kick in and now too late for them to take any action in respect of tjhat offence.

dvd.

Changing Address on Driving licence - Bilboman
I wouldn't worry too much - it's more an administrative matter than a swathe of international criminal law. If ID cards are one day introduced, the driver's address may disappear from the licence altogether, as they have in Spain.
Just looking at one of the links at the bottom of this very webpage (accessed from Spain) which links (only once) to www.eudriverlicence.com - I am astounded at the instant availability of a driving licence which is questionable at best and downright illegal at worst.
Quoting from the page:
"Legally it is your right to hold an E.U driving licence from any member country. A model case would be for you, the applicant to be driving on a licence supplied from a country other than the country to which you are a resident of (sic)"
"If you the applicant do not have any licence details to submit then we have to go to Africa or South America in order to gain a temporary driving licence."
Moral of the story - don't just change address; hop countries instead!
Changing Address on Driving licence - mariakatosvich

If its been more than 3 years then limitation on proceedings kick in and now too late for them to take any action in respect of tjhat offence.

(Edit: I have absolutely no idea why this poster has elected to open an old thread simply to cut and paste a sentence from DVD's post further up the thread.)

Edited by Avant on 29/01/2017 at 01:10

Changing Address on Driving licence - FutureBob
Cheers people, applied for new license and it arrived within 3 days, no fine! All is well!

Ta!
Changing Address on Driving licence - elisagrace

Send your old driving license along with the right application form and any supporting documents to change your address. The process is the same if you want to change your title, for e.g from Ms to Dr. You doesn’t need to send evidence unless it’s a hereditary title. After my marriage I also changed address in my driving license. As I am working woman, it was very difficult for me to visit registration offices daily. I came in contact with xxxx. They completed all the paper work formalities and I received my new driving license with changed address within few days.

Link removed. Hillock-rhymers are not exclusively male!

Edited by Avant on 06/04/2016 at 18:48

Changing Address on Driving licence - Brit_in_Germany

Yeah right. Working woman whose "job" is posting spam. By the way, in the UK the word is "licence".

Changing Address on Driving licence - skidpan

As I am working woman, it was very difficult for me to visit registration offices daily.

We moved house in October and needed to change address it works like this.

In the UK there is a remarkable system called the Royal Mail which does not require you to visit any office.

You simply ask for an application form which arrives via Royal Mail.

You fill it in and return it via Royal Mail complete with your old licence plus any proofs and signed Photo.

A few days later as if by magic a new licence appears on your doorstep delivered by Royal Mail.

All for £0.00. Ok it costs you the stamp to post.

Bet these dodgy companies charge a small fortune to assist a "working woman".

Changing Address on Driving licence - FP

"As I am working woman, it was very difficult for me to visit registration offices daily."

Daily? How many visits does it take, then? - Actually, none, as has been pointed out.

Changing Address on Driving licence - HGV ~ P Valentine

Hello Bob,

I remember a sketch from not the nine o clock news where everyone in the factory was called bob, that was about the days I used get up on sat to watch Tizwaz, went to disco's where kool and the gang would always play at some point, and suzie quatro was in the charts, lol showing may age now.

I went through a period where I was changing adresses quite a lot, and the first 3 times I done it online, trouble is you have to remmebr the dates because if you do it again and again and again, it askes you for the same dates, and wont let you precede if it does not tally with what you put in before, I agree with theother guy I don't understand why they want a timeline when they have that info anyway.

Anyway I digress, best way around it is to do it by post, it does not take that much longer.