What exactly do you expect for your service fee? - Mapmaker
If you take a car to a non-franchised garage, and ask for a 12,000 mile service for a specified vehicle, for which you are quoted £x, what do you expect?

1. Oil/filters etc. to be included in the price?
2. The service to be according to the manufacturer's book requirements, or to be a random selection of fluid/part changes according to the whim of the garage?
What exactly do you expect for your service fee? - Andrew-T
Service as defined in the car's 'handbook' or other relevant documentation, including cost of expected consumables - oil, filters etc. Also advisories if appropriate, meaning advice or a phone call to get a go-ahead if required.
What exactly do you expect for your service fee? - L'escargot
I personally would specify that I wanted it doing according to the manufacturer's schedule, and I would want prior agreement from the garage that that is what the car would get. I certainly wouldn't allow the garage to put their own interpretation on what I required.

Edited by L'escargot on 27/07/2009 at 11:57

What exactly do you expect for your service fee? - Bill Payer
I too would go through the quote and clarify what was going to be done.

If I didn't do that then I would expect a service to the manufacturers spec (which could well be little more than an oil change and a few checks) plus such other work as the garage, using their skill and experience, deemed necessary.
What exactly do you expect for your service fee? - Number_Cruncher
>>what do you expect?

For a moment, look at it from the other side. Imagine that you are the independant garage, and consider how much work is involved in providing an all inclusive price.

As you work on a wide range of cars, it possible, or even likely that you haven't done a 12,000 mile service on exactly that model of car before. So, to give an all inclusive price, you would have to;

- look up the service schedule on the Autodata that you pay for
- list the items which need to be changed
- list the fluids, their quantities, and quality / viscosisties that you'll need
- you might check if the owner wants original equipment or pattern
- begin ringing round to find prices and availability for parts
- estimate the time taken for the job

You would then put all this together and price the job up. You'll have spent half an hour, made a few phone calls. There's a good chance the customer won't understand this, and will then choose to go elsewhere because they are £5 cheaper.

So, instead of spending half an hour, during which time you earn nowt, for only a chance of doing work, it's sensible to simply estimate the time taken, and quote for that, adding everything else on based upon its cost to you plus some margin for handling / stocking.

As to the exact specification of a 12,000 mile service, much depends upon the source of information used by the garage, and how that compares with the customer's information (which may also be wrong!). In the ideal world, customer and garage man would sit down over a cup of tea, and go through the service items list, while also deciding upon fluid quality requirements, and parts sourcing. It simply does not happen.

What exactly do you expect for your service fee? - SteVee
If I'm using garage for the first time - I'll tell them exactly what I want (in writing), and that's just what I get.

If I'm taking a car to my indie then they'll have the car on their records and service accordingly. They will probably phone up regarding pattern/oem parts or anything outside the normal service schedule - I typically take their advice.

I would never book a car in for just 'a service'
I do expect a full list of parts/fluids used in the service.
I also expect a garage to provide a written quote for anything unusual - I've just got an unasked for quote for a new gearbox on SWMBO's clio - which is rather unsettling !
What exactly do you expect for your service fee? - stunorthants26
I just ad the Charade done at my main dealer. I specified I wanted the 9000 mile service as specified by Daihatsu - they said dont you mean the 54000 mile ( 6 year ) service - I said no thanks ( it includes a gearbox oil change which isnt due for another 3 months and Im being cheap! ) and confirmed what it would cost and how long it would take.
I got the service I wanted at exactly the price they quoted.
Thanks NC for the other side of things. (I had naively assumed that they picked up a book that said exactly what a service required in hours and parts.)

Not sure whether to feel miffed that on requesting a 12,000 mile service, stating make and model, that it turned out that:

1. Their service price included changing plugs (specified on the 24,000/2 yearly service) which wasn't necessary - by the book.
2. Their quotation didn't include changing brake fluid (24,000/2 yearly) but they did it anyway, and charged an extra £50 for it. Despite it not being called for by the book.

"By the book" - listed in the manufacturer-provided service book that came with the car.
Although I might be accused of tarring all independents with the same brush, most of them are set up by people who enjoy and are good at working on cars. Their enthusiasm for business administration, the commercial, and the more contractual side of the work is nowhere near as well developed as the activity you see at main dealers and chains of fast fit outlets.

If you do feel the need to pin down exactly what you want doing, then, it might be best to prepare a checklist beforehand, listing the work, the consumables and the parts needed and ask the garage to quote from that. It would be easy to present it to them in terms of "just making sure we both have a good idea exactly what's involved so there are no surprises".

In some ways, an owner who is awake is likely to know more about some details of what the car needs in terms of servicing regime and, in some cases, brand specific lubrication requirements than many independants. For example, an owner is more likely to be able to navigate the often confusing VW oil number requirements, and know the exact 50x.y number required for that particular car.
Fast fits I expect to sneak a wheel alignment in when replacing tyres. Independents I generally don't. I would agree with you; this particular outfit seem very pleasant, switched on. I don't really want to fall out with them, but:

0. List above which is the best part of £100 of unnecessary work
1. The oil is well over max on the dipstick
2. Having assured me that they did a lot of Subarus, and would do a Subaru service by the book, they clearly have not - and moreover had never even heard of the hillholder (which needs adjusting) and said it was a Dealer only adjustment.

Ah; that's all rather dissapointing, especially after the reassurance given by the garage beforehand.

What exactly do you expect for your service fee? - daveyjp
My Jag was in for it's first service last week after telling me it needed one.

You would have thought that one of the jobs would be to reset the "service required" warning - put key in and they hadn't even done this. I'm wondering what else they may or may not have done as I wasn't paying, but the oil is cleaner than when I left it and the windscreen washer bottle is full. The first service includes a pollen filter so I'll be checking this.

Thankfully as the supplying dealer is some distance away I won't have to go back.
What exactly do you expect for your service fee? - gordonbennet
My MB indy does whatever is needed as a normal annual service which i get done at MOT time, he'll fix what he finds wrong, he doesn't need to ask permission as he's honourable and trustworthy, but then his regular customer's are too which is just as well as it takes months to get a bill from him.

Most of his customers are like us long term, and i just keep a note of stuff that is getting to time eg. i had gearbox oil changed again this year, and i give him a list of anything that i want seeing to over and above the usual standard service.

He probably wouldn't suit someone who is really a dealer only customer used to spotlessly clean smart suited receptionists.