91 1.6 Swapping the standard speedo for a GTi one? - chrscmbs
Hi,

A question for anyone who knows... My peugeot 205 XL has a standard clock unit, on the left hand side is an Analogue clock, in the middle is the speedo and on the right of the clock face is the Fuel Gauge, with all the warning lights above in a row... Ok... lol

QUESTION: Can you replace this standard unit with a GTI type clock which has a temp gauge and a rev counter etc unlike the standard clock?

What i'm thinking is that the temp wire on the standard clock could be attached to the temp on the gti clock and wham... you would have a temp gauge rather than just a light that come on or off, same again... with regard to the other aspects. I guess all the wiring will be behind the clock already, and it will just be a case of finding it/connecting them to the right gauges.

But Is it possible, or is it impossible?

P.S i know that the mileage would have to be adjusted accordingly and that this would be a pretty hard job but if you have any thoughts about this question please share your ideas...

Im trying to come up with a way to have a temp guage, a rev counter on my dash and I dont want to change my car as I love it, it might be old but its mine and fun to drive.

Chris.

{edited to make subject header less vague}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/07/2009 at 03:54

91 1.6 Swapping the standard speedo for a GTi one? - Andrew-T
I'm no expert but ...

The 1993 Haynes diagram (p.234) suggests that the GTI and standard instrument panels are not interchangeable, at least without changing the shroud as well. I would guess that if you managed that, you could drive a temp gauge in the same way as a warning lamp, but what would you connect the tachometer to?

Also, indicated speeds would be incorrect (they are anyway?) if the two models use different tyre sizes.

I don't suppose it is a mod many will have wanted to make - if you love your car that much, perhaps better to keep it intact, as it were?
91 1.6 Swapping the standard speedo for a GTi one? - Chrome
Why bother? - its an old car now (but a classic design IMO) and has survived 18 years without such frivolous additions! Anyhoo on the 8 valve TU petrol engines you can hear the valves rattle at the upper end of the rev range so you know when you are over-revving it :) Spend your money on oil, coolant & cambelt changes to keep these engines sweet.
91 1.6 Swapping the standard speedo for a GTi one? - Lud
Don't do it. You will mess the car up and be miserable.

In answer to the question in your other thread, it sounds as if you will need a carburettor repair kit for your car. Wait until the Haynes manual arrives, and work methodically.

A common cause of rich running is a float level that has become too high in a worn carb, or a punctured float that isn't working at all. But carburettors have their ins and outs. It won't necessarily be easy, although it may be a matter of simple adjustment. Good idea to have a knowledgeable person on tap.

Be careful and good luck.
91 1.6 Swapping the standard speedo for a GTi one? - Andrew-T
On the 8 valve TU petrol engines you can hear the valves rattle

The 205 Auto uses the 1.6 XU engine as in the GTI, but has a carburettor instead of an injection system. So I suspect it's not altogether simple to hook up a GTI instrument panel to it.