Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - Rattle
If you get pulled over for a randmom safety inspection can the police start dismanteling wheel hubs etc or can they only do what an MOT inspector can do?

Surely if they do dismantle things that leaves them open to a lot of legal problems?

I can't imagine they would find anything wrong with my car unless it is something which has recently failed like a brake light.

Edited by Honestjohn on 12/07/2009 at 17:09

Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - Victorbox
Depends if you mean checking for unroadworthy vehicles, for which there are still a number out there that haven't seen an MOT station in years, or vehicles carrying drugs etc.

Can the police dismanstle your car at inspection? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I should imagine they can do whatever they think is necessary, if they are investigating a crime or suspected crime.
Can the police dismanstle your car at inspection? - Rattle
I was talking about a random roadside inspection for safety. I know this old Corsa looks old young lad driving it bet its in a right state..... (it actually looks as new as any other car so I doubt they would ever bother pulling me over but...) and even if they do it would give me the oppurtunity to show them how well I look after my car :p.

Checking for safety :)

I know they can dismantle cars if they are looking for drugs or other evidence but that is different.
Can the police dismanstle your car at inspection? - bell boy
what would they use?
i dont think a truncheon would be much help do you?
if they do believe a vehicle needs a closer inspection they sometimes have them lifted to a vosa centre for a chappie with a white coat to have a perusal at
Can the police dismanstle your car at inspection? - oldnotbold
VOSA roadworthyness checks are to MoT standard, so my guess is that they won't take the car apart - not sure what they'd find anyway.

Police/HMRC checks for crime/drugs can, with reasonable suspicion, strip the car to bits if they think the stuff is hidden inside tanks, tyres or box sections, but they'd have to have good reason - it won't be a random check.

I've been stopped a few times in Dover - they ask a few Qs and watch your replies, body language etc. - if you start fidgetting and giving odd/wrong answers they dig deeper, but if you are straight, open and calm they soon give up. Came away from one with a trim remover that had been left in the car by a customs officer who must have got distracted.
Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - 1400ted
I got turned over in Poole by HMRC. LWB Patrol, caravan, SWMBO and three ankle biters.
HMRC man took the top off the air filter....can't imagine what he hoped was in there.
I wonder if he'd have done it if it was about 7 bolts, like on some older Fords !
As it was, it was I wing nut...easy. I imagine any drugs in there would have long since been ingested by the healthy appetite of the straight six motor !

Ted

Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - oldnotbold
At least once HMRC Dover played good cop/bad cop on me - first was bad cop, a bit in my face, quick fire Qs etc. They then had me out on chair while they went over the car, and then good cop came along. Older guy, friendly approach, sat down next to me, chatty style, but was looking for the same info., but from another angle. He then went off, compared notes (I guess) and soon after I was on my way.

I didn't tell him that I'd done the Forces' tactical questioning course, when you get held in PoW conditions for 24 hours and questioned by the pros!

Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - L'escargot
I know they can dismantle cars if they are looking for drugs .......

Is that from personal experience?
;-)

Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - Rattle
Yes got turned over once with 2000kg of brown powder in my boot, it was just sugar honest sir :p

The only reason I know that is they do it all the time on the traffic programs. Seen them remove door cards and all sorts.
Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - Mr X
They can do what ever they feel like. You could protest if they started dismantling but I've no doubt you'd be nicked for Obstruction or breach of the peace and removed from the scene.
Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - maz64
You could protest if they started dismantling
but I've no doubt you'd be nicked for Obstruction or breach of the peace and
removed from the scene.

Don't you think that would depend on how you protested?
Can the police dismanstle your car at inspection? - lotusexige
I would suspect that in the case of drugs they might be able to call on Customs & Exise who have real powers.
Can the police dismanstle your car at inspection? - bathtub tom
>>2000kg of brown powder in my boot

I wonder why your springs broke. ;>)
Can the police dismanstle your car at inspection? - welshlad
going back to germany one year after xmas leave i didnt realise the mother in law had deposited a little gift in the boot on arriving at dover got pulled by customs for routine inspection, you can imagine the surprise when the custom officer reaches into the wheel well to retrieve a dark brown house brick sized package wrapped in greaseproof paper and clingfilm.

fortunatly the glacier cherries and dried fruit helped to prove my innocence :-) still the best xmas cake ive ever tasted
I was driving an 1981 Leyland Atlanatian at the time :D :).
Can the police dismanstle your car at inspection? - zookeeper
>>2000kg of brown powder in my boot

crikey thats a lot of rust even for a fiesta!
Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - CGNorwich
I worry about a lot of things Rattle but the possible dismantling of my wheel hubs in a random police check comes low on my worry list, somewhere below alien abduction I think. How do you think of these things?

Edited by CGNorwich on 12/07/2009 at 23:23

Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - 1400ted
It's all that brown sugar,...it puts him on a high.

I wonder if he's one of those 'crunchy nutters '?
Just pours milk and cornflakes into the boot and then attacks with a spoon !
Glad you had a good holly in Cymru. ( or however they spell it )

Ted :.)
Can the police dismantle your car at inspection? - Cliff Pope
I worry about a lot of things Rattle but the possible dismantling of my wheel
hubs in a random police check comes low on my worry list somewhere below alien
abduction I think. How do you think of these things?

Perhaps he is an alien? He's been listening to conversations in pubs in order to assimilate to our way of life, and the topic last night was "Police powers - did you know they can pull your car to pieces if they like". :)