Windscreen Chip repair kits - a900ss
Guys,

I have recently purchased a secondhand car due to being made redundant and having to give back my company car. I'm hopeful I will only have this car for 3-4 months max and then I'll get another job with a company car.

Anyway, I was cleaning the car today and noticed a small chip in the windscreen, it's no more than 1 cm long and probably 1mm, maybe 2mm deep. I only have the car TPF&T insured due to it's value and therefore have no windscreen cover.

I've checked with the well know windscreen repairers online and a chip repair is 'from £69.95'. Seems expensive to me but there you go.

Looking on Ebay, you can get windcreen self repair kits for circa £10. I assume these are just resin kits that fill the hole to stop it cracking any more. The chip is hidden behind the rear view mirror as I'm in the driving seat and cannot be seen, therefore does not affect my view in any way.

I don't want the chip to get bigger and the result is that I have to get a complete new screen. Hopefully I'll only have the car a short time and I could really do without this expense.

Are these £10 kits OK just to stop it getting bigger? Like I said, I can't even see the chip from the drivers seat as it is hidden by the rear view mirror.

Any experiences of these kits are most welcome.

Thanks

Edited by a900ss on 08/07/2009 at 20:39

Windscreen Chip repair kits - ifithelps
I blobbed some Superglue into a similar chip on the windscreen of my last Focus.

Lasted several years and passed MoTs with no bother.

What I will never know is if the chip would have got bigger without the glue in it.
Windscreen Chip repair kits - bell boy
dont use superglue
it has a different coedhesion of expansion and could crack the screen
ford used to be specific on this
cheapest repair is a blob of clear silicone if it misses the wiper blades

a local man in bombed out van should do an A1 job for 25 notes
Windscreen Chip repair kits - Mookfish
a local man in bombed out van should do an A1 job for 25 notes

About what I paided a while back, except I asked at a major windscreen place, didn't think much of their prices and the guy said they are priced for insurance work, he did the job for £30 on his day off instead of the quoted £75.
Windscreen Chip repair kits - FotheringtonThomas
If it's just a chip, and not a crack, I wouldn't bother. If it's a crack, you've had it in any case. Whatever you fill it with won't be as hard or rigid as the glass, anyway. If it's unsightly, that's different - assuming a £10 kit actually fills the hole, go for it - clear casting polyester resin would be another option.
Windscreen Chip repair kits - L'escargot
For what it's worth, here's what Halfords say about their repair kit. tinyurl.com/mcpzso