2005 1.4 Does the timing belt need changing yet? - jgm
I am ashamed to say I know little about cars and since moving from my old house no longer go to my trusty local garage but to a big dealership.

We've put our 2005, 1.4, golf in for its 60,000 service and they've come back to say it needs the timing belt replaced (for an astonishing £599) even though it hasn't actually gone.

Should we get this done now? Would it be 'detrimental' to the car (as the garage says) if we leave it until it actually goes? and would it cost so much more money to replace it when it actually goes?

any advice would be gratefully received!

thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/07/2009 at 13:43

Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - daveyjp
If it's time for it to be done get it done, I'll leave you to decide whether the main dealer price is reasonable - seems high to me - if it does go you could be into new engine territory.
Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - harib
I believe for your car, the timing belt should be replaced at 60,000 miles or 4 years - whichever comes first. £599 does sound quite steep. Ask around to see if there is a Volkswagen independent dealer around who could do it cheaper. Your car is out of warranty now, so you don't have to worry about possibly voiding it.

Think of it this way - If your cam belt snaps on the motorway when you're doing 70, your engine may well be scrap, and it would cost more than £599 to fix, so you definitely don't want to leave it until it snaps.
Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - Steve Pearce
Agreed. The timing belt is one component that you just cannot wait until it fails. If the servicing interval (either mileage ot time) has been reached, failing to replace it could cost you big time.
Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - jgm
Thanks for your advice.. we'll get it done asap but will probably shop around.

Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - Dynamic Dave
Should we get this done now? Would it be 'detrimental' to the car (as the
garage says) if we leave it until it actually goes? and would it cost so
much more money to replace it when it actually goes?

If and when it snaps, it will bend the majority, if not all the valves and most likely damage the valve seats and guides as well.

That is why it's strongly advised to change at 'x' miles OR 'x' years (whichever comes soonest)

You may think £599 is a lot of money to change the belt, but it will be a whole lot more for the repair work needed to the cylinder head.

Shop around - you should be able to get it done at a more reasonable price - but GET IT DONE.
Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - rtj70
As others say get it done now - but you can get it done at an independent for less.

If you wait for it to go then you'll probably need major engine repairs. And the timing belt would still need replacing too.
Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - Hamsafar
Also, make sure they do the tensioners and waterpump at the same time, as these are liable to failure which would wipe out the belt and wreck the engine anyway.
Stoke VW charge about £350 all in.
Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - Stuartli
VW declared abut a year ago that timing belts should be replaced every 40k...:-(

My 1999 Bora's timing belt had done 62,500 miles when I had it changed (didn't know if it had been done before as no mention in the service book), but replacement cost just under £200 at a respected local independent dealership about nine months ago (eight valve 1.6 petrol engine).

To be honest the belt still looked in good nick when it was returned to me with the bits and bobs in the new belt's retail box (I had insisted that only VW parts were used).
Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - EoinM
You're due it. In fact on many VAG engines this has been corrected downwards below the 60k miles. Found out at the last service on my 06 Leon that the belt is due at 90k km as opposed to the 100k km in the manual.

Shop around though - I've been quoted ?300 from a Seat main dealer so ?599 (c. ?650) is ridiculous. Maybe try a Skoda or Seat dealer - same engies so they'll be well used to them and their labour rates are usually lower. Make sure the tensioners and water pump are replaced at the same time - water pumps have plastic internals which can break apart at times.
Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - NickS
I had Golf '54 MkV 1.4 FSI, which i then passed on to my mother. This has just come up for its cambelt change, and Wolsey VW in Ipswich charged £350 all in for what they describe as "Toothed Belt Kit".... So your £599 seems like they're taking you for a ride.....

Incidentally, my sister has a Seat Leon 1.4 16V 75 BHP (which I believe is the other 1400cc engine they put in the Mk V golf), and recently had the cambelt done for £140 at our local garage..... so if its that engine, it may be een cheaper still.

If it is the 1.4 FSI, how do you find it? And does yours drink oil? VW have and still do claim, "characteristic of the engine sir"................
Timing Belt for 2005 GOLF 1.4 - AlastairW
Whereabouts are you jgm? I know of a v good VW indy in Stockport if you are interested.