who is right....me or dealer? - barney100
Picked up new (to us) car on Moday, cost about £9000. ('03 estate) When I was negotiating I told the salesman I didn't want to be back in a couple of months needing new brake discs as I had been caught like that before. ''Wear and tear sir, down to you'' duely given new mot and all looks fine. Get home and look at the service sheet......rear discs badly corroded warning there. I had an independent mot guy have a look, he says that while the discs would pass an mot in a short while they would need replacing, the rear of the discs were worse than the front.The dealer has offered a 50 50...£130 or so to me.... split cost to replace which I have accepted but swmbo and I feel we should not have to pay anything. Please give your opinion as to wether or not I am being unreasonable.
who is right....me or dealer? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Was the comment re the rear discs on the garage servicing report or was it an MOT Advisory?
who is right....me or dealer? - gordonbennet
Barney i haven't been keeping up lately, what car is this for please.

Generally i think you are in the right, but salesmen will often tell you just what you want to hear to get your lolly, and once they've got it you are of no further interest.

I suppose to be fair, if the car is priced competitively i'd expect some wear and tear items to only be replaced when they are needed, but if it was A1 top book then i'd be wanting A1 standard.

If they won't budge on their offer of 50/50 you could probably do the job yourself with high quality parts from a factor for considerably less than £130, and cross that dealer off your (and your friends) future dealings list.
who is right....me or dealer? - jbif
I didn't want to be back in a couple of months needing new brake discs >>

I suppose you have to wait a couple of months to find out who is/was right.

who is right....me or dealer? - spikeyhead {p}
What car is it? There's usually a big difference between trade and retail prices on discs and pads.
who is right....me or dealer? - Bill Payer
From previous posts it's an 03 Volvo V70 2.4d.

£9K sounds fairly high - was it an approved used car from a Volvo dealership? If so, I'd expect some sort of guarantee that it wouldn't need any work for, say, 3mths or 3000 miles.
who is right....me or dealer? - L'escargot
One of my rear discs is corroded but it has once more passed the MOT braking efficiency test, and this seems to be the criteria for an MOT. I was informed that the disc thickness would probably be less than the recommended minimum thickness in a year's time, but again this doesn't appear to mean they have to be replaced.

What exactly are the MOT requirements regarding brake discs?
who is right....me or dealer? - Bill Payer
What exactly are the MOT requirements regarding brake discs?

They can be failed if they're insecure, cracked or excessively scored, pitted or worn.

Issue is that "excessive" is a matter of opinion. Franchised dealership MOT testers seem much keener to err on the side of excessive than independant garages do.

Had an amusing incident with this at the Mercedes dealer I use - my car is on an MB service contract and at MOT they issued an advisory saying the disks were pitted. The service advisor told me they'd normally fail the car and ask the owner to replace them but they couldn't do that on my car as MB Service will only pay if the disks are worn and mine are quite new.

When I said they were the originals (so they'd done a great job of checking the service history) they looked devastated at having missed some work and offered to collect the car next day and change them. I said no point, I don't use it much and they'll just go rusty again. I thought the Service Advisor was going to cry!
Franchised dealership MOT testers seem much
keener to err on the side of excessive than independant garages do.

Some possibly may. By saying what you have done will mean that a bit more (unjustified) mud will have stuck to franchised dealers in the minds of some Backroomers.
who is right....me or dealer? - oilrag
" I thought the Service Advisor was going to cry! "

I noticed a job spec for a new (Main Dealer) Service receptionist and Service Manager in our local free paper last week.

bla bla bla ---- "performance targets need to be met"

Only a cynic would associate that statement with generating income of course.........;-)

who is right....me or dealer? - pd
If the dealer specifically said the discs were in A1 condition and they're not then they were part of the deal and should be done.

On the other hand, if they did not, and you're concerned about having to replace various bits of wear and tear then you really shouldn't be buying 6 year old cars. It'll have something wrong with it, and something worn out, somewhere.
who is right....me or dealer? - barney100
you don't see the point PD. I don't expect any car to be trouble or expense free but I specifically mentioned the brake discs having been caught that eay twice before.....now make that three!
who is right....me or dealer? - pd
you don't see the point PD. I don't expect any car to be trouble or
expense free but I specifically mentioned the brake discs having been caught that eay twice
before.....now make that three!

Umm. Actually, yes I do, and as I said above if they formed part of the verbal contract then it is part of the sale and the dealer should comply.
.......... "performance targets need to be met"

Every job I've ever had has required me to meet targets in one way or another. There's no room for incompetence or laziness in any employee in any branch of private sector employment. Businesses that don't make a profit go under.
who is right....me or dealer? - oilrag
Profits, targets and not going under are fine. But main dealers tricking a largely non technical motoring public out of their hard earned money with a range of lies and scams is not.

who is right....me or dealer? - jbif
;-) In reply to L'escargot
Every job I've ever had has required me to meet targets in one way or another. >>

I take it that therefore it is pretty meaningless to include the targets phrase in a job advert.
There's no room for incompetence or laziness in any employee in any branch of private sector employment. >>

Following on from the first sentence, this means that the targets phrase must be included for the benefit of incompetent and/or lazy state sector employees who do not know the meaning of work, and in effect is telling them that as they are unlikely to know what real work means, they need not apply.
:o)

who is right....me or dealer? - Number_Cruncher
>>performance targets need to be met

Which, of course, means that the target number of chargeable workshop hours must be sold.

Hint: If the workshop has 10 mechanics, each working a 37.5 hour week, the target will not be below 400 hours, and more likely will be nearer 500.

who is right....me or dealer? - Lygonos
In the public sector an Audit would show that as fraudulent.

Lucky the private sector aren't subject to NAO audits....
who is right....me or dealer? - bell boy
surely before you have a NAO audit you would have to set up a specific Department
have a meeting about what you are going to look at
have a meeting to confirm youve looked at it
have a meeting to make sure everyones on board
have a meeting to ringfence the meeting
have a bluesky meeting somewhere nice
have a meeting to discuss that the last place wasnt nice

anyway i dont like quangos

Edited by bell boy on 06/07/2009 at 18:58

who is right....me or dealer? - madf
In the public sector , Audits continued to let snip

Which says a lot about audits.

When I buy a car and specify things to be done and included, I check they are done before I take delivery of the car.

Car salesmen are lying cheats - or most of them are - so if you do not check.you may get screwed.

That is on every car: new or old.

We took delivery of our new Peugeot 106 many years ago AFTER the failed bulb in the boot was fixed...

(There are some honourable and honest exceptions..)

Same with any business transaction: check you are getting what you are paying for...

Edited by Honestjohn on 06/07/2009 at 20:18

........... everyones on board
.............. ringfence the meeting
have a bluesky ..........

At last, someone who speaks plain English!