Is is a hum or a howl ? - Colin S
Any clues to this would be gratefully received ;
Renault megane 1.6 S 30K MOT and service August 02

At any speed from 30 to 80, in 4th or 5th gear with no apparent associated cause, a hum/ howl starts and stops at random.
Front end somewhere but difficult to be sure.
It relates not at all to speed, overrun or welly, cornering or straight, and has no effect on performance
I DOES respond, immediately, to the slightest touch on the footbrake. And then it will start again in 1, 10 or 50 miles.

Yesterday was typical, Car driven urban, rural, motorway - 50 there, 50 back. Not a murmur all the way there. On return, whine started at about 20 miles in, lasted 3-4 minutes then stopped without braking; started again 10 miles further and stopped within 1 minute.

I'm actually getting quite fond of the noise now, even worrying a bit when it's not there, but am comcerned if it is the start of soemething expensive.

Any hints from you will be most welcome and no, I haven't left my grand daughter in the boot.

Thanks in advance Colin S
Did I get you all on a bad day? - Colin S
I always knew I was inadequate, reeked a bit and looked a mess. All these I could live with, but to get no reply to a question on the \'techy\'page was the final straw.

Worse still, I don\'t know how to copy it all - so could you kind ladies and gentlemen have a look back at post of 25.09.02 headed \'is it a hum or a howl?\' and try your hardest.

[as if by magic....All you need to is to post to a thread and it will bring it back to page 1. Thanks to the other Backroomers who also pointed this out... M.]

As encouragement, another clue has emerged. Wiggling the steering wheel stops it, but only momentarily, unlike braking.

Many thanks in advance Colin S
Did I get you all on a bad day? - M.M
Colin,

I think you gave so much info it was obvious this might be a pig to pin down!

Three thoughts.....

If braking stops the noise every time it is likely to be brake or wheel bearing related....unless touching the brakes drops you below the vibration speed.

I look after three Megane 1.6s and none of those does it.

I did look after a Renault 19TD for a customer a while ago and he described almost exactly the same story as you. Twice he asked me to investigate and I never found anything wrong, never really heard it either. Funny thing is I still look after that car and it has had two more owners since the first, they've never said they heard anything but all of a sudden recentley one of the wheel bearings failed in a big way.

Ok so not much help but you've got 1 on the counter now.

David W
Is is a hum or a howl ? - Mondaywoe
Hi Colin

Dunno about Meganes but I had a Renault 19 some years ago. Front wheel bearings went about 30k - much to my surprise and consternation! Bearings can do funny things under different loadings and sometimes look perfectly OK when spun freely while car is on jack.

If touching the brake stops it, chances are it's in the wheel area. Could it be a sticking pad or caliper? Maybe a warped disc?
I suppose driveshafts might be worth a look too. Are the gaiters OK?

Alternators might hum under load.....radiator or hoses might have slight leak making whistling noises....has the car got aircon?......brake servo to manifold hose?......engine breathers?...water pump?

There you go! Absolutely no help whatsoever!

Best of luck.

Graeme
Is is a hum or a howl ? - Cyrill666 {P}

Get a friend to hold the revs steady whilst you investigate where in the engine bay the noise may be coming from (carefully). If you can recreate it, then it's an ancillary component such as the water pump or alternator. I have a Nova Alternator that had a slight hum to it, although that was fairly constant.

Failing that, I guess at gearbox, CV joints, bearings etc. Can you 'feel' the noise/vibration through the steering, or pedals?

When the noise next appears, does depression of the clutch whilst cruising make a difference?

Are your shockers all OK? I suppose excess vibration may be causing something to resonate?

Cluthcing at straws I know, but it's all food for thought.

Kind regards,
Cyrill666

Is is a hum or a howl ? - steve paterson
I've come across an occasionally noisy gearbox bearing. Either a loud bearing whine or silence. It went on for scores of thousands of miles like this with no other problems. A stripdown showed that the ball bearings and tracks were pitted and that the bearing was a loose fit in it's housing. When the bearing was spinning as it should, it was noisy. When the whole lot turned in the housing, it was quiet.
Is is a hum or a howl ? - Colin S
Thanks to all for your well considered responses. I will investigate methodically and hope to track it down. thanks again.

Colin S