Do cars need rear brakes? - Robin Reliant
No doubt those with greater knowledge will point out some compelling reasons why they do, but on a motorcycle I never used the back brake at all except when it was very slippy and I used it instead of the front, the same applies when I am riding on a bicycle. Many racers on both powered and unpowered two wheelers are of the same mind, the theory being that the rear brake is pretty useless as when you apply the front the rear wheel goes light, locks easily and contributes nothing to the stopping power.

The same dynamics must apply to cars, so what have I missed?
Do cars need rear brakes? - gordonbennet
Yes they do need rear brakes, i've seen so many cars with locked front wheels sliding to doom on wet roads, seemingly no deceleration at all.
I would have thought something in the region of 20 to 30% of braking comes from the rear, that amount would be sorely missed.

I suppose with a bike you can feel when the front is likely to need assistance from the rear and adjust accordingly, not possible with a car and thank goodness for that seeing the driving standards i've witnessed today...mimsers galore without the foggiest idea.

Only my opinion, and little if any knowledge.
Do cars need rear brakes? - bathtub tom
Yes! If only to stop the back overtaking the front.
Do cars need rear brakes? - madf
Needed to brake when reversing :-)

Do cars need rear brakes? - Doc
But do cars need disc brakes on the rear? I have always thought this was overkill.

Do cars need rear brakes? - L'escargot
But do cars need disc brakes on the rear? I have always thought this was
overkill.

You Luddite! Disc brakes are superior to drum brakes in all respects. They're more consistent and are less susceptible to water and dust ingress, fade etc etc. You'll be saying next that brake lights aren't essential, on the basis that they don't improve braking one iota!

Edited by L'escargot on 15/06/2009 at 08:40

Do cars need rear brakes? - Number_Cruncher
>>Disc brakes are superior to drum brakes in all respects.

That's not correct.

Do cars need rear brakes? - jc2
I would always try NOT to buy a car with rear discs-they're just a fashion item-they make for a poor handbrake-unless combined with a separate drum and are not needed to give braking efficiency.

Edited by L'escargot on 16/06/2009 at 08:55

Do cars need rear brakes? - gmac
I never used the back brake at all The same dynamics must apply to cars so what have I missed?

Just out of interest what kind of bike do you ride ? Most sports bike rear brakes are 'carp' and wouldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding but still useful for fine adjustment mid-corner (if needed).
Do cars need rear brakes? - martint123
Rear brake on bike almost essential for doing a tight U-turn in the road.
I have a sport and sit-up-and-beg bike and the rear brake gets used on both.
Do cars need rear brakes? - Tron
April here already?
Do cars need rear brakes? - none
Rear brakes are pretty important in the commercial vehicle world. When disc brakes (similar sized pads front and rear) are fitted all round, the rears usually wear out first.
All vehicle braking systems have inbuilt front / rear brake force distribution mechanisms. Over the years it's gone from little ball bearings rolling about under braking, to load sensing valves, and now ABS.
Believe me, the rear brakes are doing their bit - it just goes unnoticed.
Do cars need rear brakes? - Simon
...but on a motorcycle I never used the back brake at all except when it was very
slippy and I used it instead of the front...

Would it be fair of me to suggest that you were not riding the motorcycle very well if you ignored the use of the rear brake at the appropriate times in which you should?
Do cars need rear brakes? - Pugugly
Both my bikes have linked brakes - The Honda is a bit Nanny in not giving any discretion as to whether the rear brake is used - using both lever/pedal brings the brakes to full power using all available braking - BMW's front lever links front to rear - although you can use the rear on its own. Yes of course you need brakes front and rear on a car.
Do cars need rear brakes? - TurboD
You would need to do a scientific test to prove, but I would never just apply my front brake on my motorcycle, or cycle. I did many years ago and found myself on the road, in front of my bike. Never again. I always start braking with the front but soon bring in the rear.
You must need both in an emergency stop , but if pulling to a stop with plenty of warning, just slow down.
Do cars need rear brakes? - Robin Reliant
Many bikers, including GP and Superbike riders would disagree with that TurboD. Fogarty is just one who used front brake only, the reasoning being that during heavy braking the rear wheel is on the point of lifting anyway and making very little contact with the road.
Do cars need rear brakes? - Stuartli
What about the handbrake?
Do cars need rear brakes? - rtj70

On a bike?
Do cars need rear brakes? - 1400ted
>> What about the handbrake?
On a bike?

>>
Yes, my Honda has a handbrake...and it's a ' fly-off ' one !

Ted
Do cars need rear brakes? - Stuartli
>> What about the handbrake?
On a bike? >>

Try reading the thread title and Number_Cruncher's last paragraph in his query...:-)

Edited by Stuartli on 15/06/2009 at 00:50

Do cars need rear brakes? - grumpyscot

Worked on the front wheels of my Saab and my Citroen
The dynamics in terms of the rear wheel becoming lighter under braking are the same. What is different is the geometry.

The important factors are;

- the height of the centre of gravity
- the fore / aft position of the c of g
- the wheelbase

So, on a motobike, where the wheelbase is short, the c of g is high, you get lots of weight transfer, and the rear brakes are little use in a high g stop.

For a commercial vehicle with a longer wheelbase, the rear brakes will do more. My Mercedes estate has a large rear overhang, and the rear wheels carry a significant amount of the car's weight - the rear wheels do more.

An original Mini, with a heavy front wheel drive powertrain and short wheelbase means that their rear brakes were really only fitted to satisfy convention and legislation - they did very little braking.

Yes! If only to stop the back overtaking the front.

Actually if the rear brakes were to lock it would make the back overtaking the front almost a certainty! Rear brakes destabilise the back of the car.

Rear wheel locking on cars is really dangerous, and so, there's lots of legislation in place to make sure it doesn't happen. Front locking is comparatively benign - this is one of the many areas where motor car and motorcycle dynamics diverge strongly, front locking on a bike will throw you off, whereas rear wheel locking on a bike is much easier to deal with.

This is why you used to regularly find vehicles with brake pressure reducing, g valves, or load sensing valves to modulate the brake pressure for the rear axle to prevent rear locking. Nowadays, the function is incorporated into the ABS/EBD system, and this is one reason why you should fix ABS problems straight away rather than continuing to drive.

>>i've seen so many cars with locked front wheels sliding to doom on wet roads

Because, as described, rear locking is forbidden, and is engineered out. You shouldn't see any cars locking their rear wheels.

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 14/06/2009 at 23:45

Do cars need rear brakes? - Altea Ego
Many bikers including GP and Superbike riders would disagree with that TurboD. Fogarty is just
one who used front brake only the reasoning being that during heavy braking the rear
wheel is on the point of lifting anyway and making very little contact with the
road.

Thats under very heavy braking on the race track. On the road if your braking is modulated such that your rear wheel is on the point of lifting, then your riding skills and planning are a little limited.

Do cars need rear brakes? - MikeTorque
Motor bikes rear braking in snow/ice is essential, front braking in such conditions will often result in the biker going down as many found out to their cost in February this year.

The BMW braking system with dual braking works well for most conditions as is ABS.

The GP riders don't race in snow, and in race conditions its a different ball game compared with public road biking. The aim is to have power feeding the rear wheel as much as possible, so as soon as the front brake is released the power is already feeding through the rear wheel. Same applies for car motor sport and the use multi-tasking footwork.

Regarding rear disc verses drum brakes, drums don't cool as fast as discs, so it's usual for higher performance or large/heavy cars to have rear discs rather than drum, although many use a drum for the hand brake.

Edited by MikeTorque on 15/06/2009 at 00:22

Do cars need rear brakes? - Pizza man
the rear brakes usually only do about 10% of the braking in most cars, but that 10% you wouldn't have if they weren't there, as number cruncher says rear locking can be a disaster so it's engineered out(which is why you have to use the hand brake for hand brake turns...).
I know this is about cars the but Moto Guzzi had the best system-twin discs on the front-one operated by the handlebar brake lever,the other linked to the rear-footbrake.
Do cars need rear brakes? - oilrag
I`ve ridden bikes straight through winters years ago in some dreadful greasy slippery road conditions. I can`t believe this front brake only stuff in those conditions - I always found a calculated (obviously front biased) application of both brakes settled the bike much more on entering a bend.

Unless modern times means ABS on these bikes - which in any case surely lets you use both brakes?

(I`m writing mainly out of curiosity regarding modern bikes)
Do cars need rear brakes? - madux
I once owned a Guzzi for a short while - only about 24 years.
Something I will never forget is sliding towards a car that pulled out in front of me on a motorway roundabout. Panic reaction - foot hits the brake pedal - back wheel locked up - hit his back bumper a glancing blow. Phew, that was close. That was on a Honda.
Same thing happened a year or so later riding the Guzzi. Same roundabout, probably going faster - Will I never learn? - Hit the brakes. Panic stop. No loss of control. Guzzi's fabulous linked brakes may well have saved me from serious injury.
ps 30 limit and lights on that roundabout now.

Edited by rtj70 on 15/06/2009 at 22:52

Do cars need rear brakes? - madux
snipped - post edited above to remove additional lines

Edited by rtj70 on 15/06/2009 at 22:53

Do cars need rear brakes? - Andrew-T
Regarding rear disc versus drum brakes, ..

Having tried both, my preference is for rear drums. They seem to need much less attention, while discs and their associated pads and calipers - because they are getting relatively little use - tend to corrode or seize. My style of driving just doesn't need anything better than drum brakes on the rear. And there is the handbrake consideration already mentioned.

I suppose one 'plus' with discs is that inspection is usually easier.
Do cars need rear brakes? - martint123
I suppose one 'plus' with discs is that inspection is usually easier.

Conversely a 'minus' at MOT time ;>)
not really, it's good that any defects can be found and rectified, I used to hate mot's coming up with the associated bills then realised that it meant my car was safe and wasn't something to worry about but to make sure the car was fit to pass, usually getting it serviced by a good garage before hand means you'll always pass.
When I bought my first Focus I opted to wait a few weeks for rear discs to become available on my chosen variant because (at the time) ABS wasn't fitted if the car had rear drums. Can you get ABS with rear drums on any car?
Do cars need rear brakes? - loonykev
I'm fairly sure my Citroen C1 has rear drum brakes, I haven't had a look, but I'm sure I remember that from the brochure, and it has ABS, EBD and CSC, the last two I believe are variations on ABS. Just downloaded brochure, that is the case.
edit, I think drums also mean a handbrake that works properly too, am I right in thinking that?

Edited by loonykev on 16/06/2009 at 09:09

Do cars need rear brakes? - Cliff Pope
My 1949 Ferguson tractor has only rear brakes, not front. The same used to be true of cars - I think front brakes came in the 1920s or 30s.
Do cars need rear brakes? - sierraman
>>>I think drums also mean a handbrake that works properly too, am I right in thinking that?<<<<

Only if the auto adjusters work,when my handbrake stops holding on a hill I have to pull the drums off and tweak the adjusters.It makes me think it would be good if there was some way of adjusting the brakes without taking the drums off......
Do cars need rear brakes? - loonykev
Well, the car is not yet three months old, and will be regularly serviced. I'm past taking off the rear wheels myself, but maybe I could watch someone making sure the adjusters are kept lubricated and working properly. Kwik-Fit perhaps, or a small independent workshop.
Do cars need rear brakes? - redviper
Can you get ABS with rear drums on any
car?

My '99 (T) Laguna had ABS, with Rear Drums, the ABS was constantly faulty but thats another story, but in answer to your question yes you can have ABS and rear drums.
Yes, there was a tie when the different application dynamics for drums meant that they were difficult to fit with ABS, but, that's not a problem anymore.

1993 mondeos had rear drums and ABS think mk3 cavs the same.
Do cars need rear brakes? - redviper
Yes Mk3 Cavs also had the Option of ABS but also had rear drums throughout the range.
Do cars need rear brakes? - Dynamic Dave
Can you get ABS with rear drums on any car?

My dad's 51 reg Astra has ABS and rear drums.
Do cars need rear brakes? - Bromptonaut
Isn't ABS universal now?

Yet lots of cars, including our 'lingo, have rear drums.

The Xantia is a bit of an oddity as the parking brake acts on the front wheels. The rear discs tend to rust unless there is a rear load.
Do cars need rear brakes? - Dynamic Dave
Isn't ABS universal now?

Yes, from 1st July 2004.

www.engineeringtalk.com/news/bsc/bsc104.html

Do cars need rear brakes? - Sofa Spud
I've never ridden a motorbike but I do ride a pedal bike (30 miles yesterday!) and I nearly always use both brakes in combination.

Incidentally, up until relatively recently, top-weight artic tractors in the USA tended to have no brakes on the front axle. The theory being that you could lose steering control if the front wheels locked. I think the US has caught up with the rest of the world on that now - unless someone can tell me otherwise.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 17/06/2009 at 10:31

Do cars need rear brakes? - Another John H
>>top-weight artic tractors in the USA tended to have no brakes on the front axle...
>>I think the US has caught up with the rest of the world on that now...

probably run up the back of it.

I'll get me coat.
ABS on drum brakes goes back to the 80's;there were some systems that only had sensors on the front;ie.you just didn't want the front brakes locking to stop you steering.
>>there were some systems that only had sensors on the front

As long as rear locking was well enough prevented by pressure reducing valves, then, that would be quite a sensible system - obviously not as good as an all singing all dancing 4 channel modern system, but, not a bad compromise.

Do cars need rear brakes? - doctorchris
I've had 2 Fiat Pandas with 4x4, both the new model, and the rear brakes on these cars are discs.
The braking is superb and well-balanced.
The rear pads wear only marginally slower than the front pads.
It's obvious to me that this small, short wheelbase car, needs it's rear brakes and that drums would not be up to the job on the rear.
>>that drums would not be up to the job on the rear.

I struggle to see how you've arrived at that "obvious" conclusion. Cars much larger, much heavier, and much longer have been more than adequately equipped with drum brakes.

If the rate of wear of the rear brakes is so high, then, I suspect Fiat have used either a very small pad area, or, are using a material which wears quickly. The rear brakes on your car will not be doing much actual work - they can't be, it's a physical impossibility!

>>well-balanced.

The only imbalance in braking you might feel as a driver is left / right - you can't feel the front/rear distribution.
The editing time out caught and chopped my post up - here's the gist of the rest of it.

I have written about road testing a mkII Cavalier with the front brakes isolated for the purposes of identifying the source of a noise. The meagre braking offered by the rear wheels alone was truly frightening.

Next time you are in an MOT station, watch the gauges on the brake tester, and compare the readings front to rear.

(Please can the editing / posting times be extended by a little? I know I'm not the only one who gets caught out by it)

Do cars need rear brakes? - doctorchris
OK, Number Cruncher, all I can say, without scientific evidence, is that the brakes work very well and leave me feeling safer on these little cars than anything else I have driven.
There are probably engineering isues on the 4x4 rear suspension that have led Fiat to fit discs rather than drums. Otherwise, the performance of discs in off-road conditions has been a factor.
There's no doubt that the rear discs have a smaller pad area than the fronts. Probably a sensible decision to prevent corrosion on the rear discs.
Yes, I can imagine that the better self cleaning of a disc is of help in a vehicle designed for off-road conditions.

There isn't any engineering clash between driving the rear wheel and having a drum there per se.

You'll find that the pistons in the rear calipers are smaller than the fronts, and as the area is proportional to the diameter squared, the force they produce for a given hydraulic pressure is quite a lot lower. The area of the pad doesn't affect the brake force itself, but does affect how the pad responds to temperature, and, of course, how quickly the pad wears - in designing the pad, there is usually a maximum power (friction force x rubbing velocity) per unit area for each material which governs the sizing.
Do cars need rear brakes? - Harleyman
If you want to test Number Cruncher's argument, simply try stopping the car (obviously not on a public road, officer ;-) ) from about 30 miles per hour just by using the handbrake.

I'm sure NC will provide a more detailed and scientifically correct reasoning but AFAIK it's simply the laws of physics in action. Front brakes go on which transfers weight from front to rear, hence the reason why older cars without ABS lock up the rear wheels under hard braking. Simplistic I know but science was never my strong point at school!

Doctorchris, I suspect it's more likely that bigger pads simply are not needed for the reason stated above.

>>why older cars without ABS lock up the rear wheels under hard braking.

Cars, at least passably modern cars, should not do that, even without ABS. It has been designed against for many years via making the rear brakes weak and/or limiting the pressure appled to them.

For an old example on all drum braked cars, like a Morris Minor, the fronts would be twin leading shoe, while the rear would be leading and trailing. Owing to the self servo effect, and larger wheel cylinder pistons, the twin leading front brakes would provide much more braking force than the rear.

I *think* the ECE regs to prevent rear locking became much stronger in about 1983, at about the same time dual braking systems became the norm. British C & U regs have always said something along the lines of "rear wheel locking should not occur" or something similarly vague, while the ECE regs set out limits for so-called "adhesion utilisation". A car for a British market could get away with very poor rear brakes, while for use in Europe, the rear brakes have to be effective, but still not lock.

Do cars need rear brakes? - Harleyman
You are of course correct NC. What I should have said was that older vehicles are more *prone* to it.
Do cars need rear brakes? - Andrew-T
You should also have said 'brakes go on which transfers weight from rear to front' - anything else would feel most peculiar ...

Edited by Andrew-T on 18/06/2009 at 10:40

Do cars need rear brakes? - glowplug
To go back to the original question, cars equipped with Electronic Stability Control can use the the rear brakes to help keep the car going in the intended direction.

I would think that a car towing a correctly balanced load could make some extra use of the rear brakes as would an heavily loaded car. On hydraulic suspended Citroens the rear brakes are fed off the rear suspension cylinders so that the more heavily the boot is loaded the more force the rear brakes have. As Brompt. noted such Citroens have a powerful parking brake that works on the front wheel discs, the parking brake on my Xantia was so powerful I could stop reasonably well from 30 mph using that alone.

Steve
>>I would think that a car towing a correctly balanced load could make some extra use of the rear brakes as would an heavily loaded car

Yes - cars which are designed to carry varying loads, like estate cars, and car derived vans tend to have load sensing valves fitted to the rear axle which allow more rear brake pressure when there is more load on the rear axle.

You're also absolutely right to point out that a trailer will add more load to the rear axle of the towing car during braking, again, owing to forwards weight transfer. On a vehicle with a load sensing valve, or the Citroen equivalent, this may allow more pressure to the rear brakes.

Despite having Citroenesque rear suspension, my W124 doesn't have the interconnection between the suspension hydraulics and the brakes.

Do cars need rear brakes? - Lud
Some cars have, or had, suspension geometry that influenced attitudes under braking. I am thinking in particular of the Citroen DS, but also the 2CV and its variants. The front wheels were on 'leading arms' and the rear ones on trailing arms. Under braking, therefore, there was a tendency for the nose of the car to lift and the tail to drop - the opposite of what usually happens. It counteracted to some extent the weight transference under braking and kept the car more level than it might have been with more conventional suspension.

Linkage, either hydraulic or (as with later 2CV variants) mechanical, between the front and rear suspension, was supposed to refine these effects further.

All those cars were given to adopting extreme attitudes in cornering. But they had incredibly good brakes for their day, needed for French-style press-on driving.
>>it counteracted to some extent the weight transference under braking

Not really. The weight transfer was (virtually) all still happening. What was different was the body's response to the weight transfer.

Weight transfer would still happen if the suspension were absolutely rigid and the body didn't pitch at all. Many confuse the two things as being the same.

I say virtually all the weight transfer was still happening, there is a tiny component of the weight transfer that is prevented by this mechanism. As the body pitches under braking, the centre of gravity of the sprung mass can move forward by a very small amount, depending upon the height difference between the centre of gravity of the sprung mass and the centre of the body's rotation under pitch. All but the most pedantic may ignore this effect completely.

No matter what you do with the suspension, you can't dodge weight transfer, whether rear to front during braking, or, side to side during cornering.
Thank you NC. The academic filling in my enthusiast's pie. I should have said 'it counteracted to some extent the EFFECT of weight transference under braking'.

However my memory is that the tail of a DS would stay relatively low under very heavy braking, and that must be an effect of the suspension design.

>>However my memory is that the tail of a DS would stay relatively low under very heavy braking, and that must be an effect of the suspension design.

Yes, that's right, you can acheive similar effects by setting the inner pivots for wishbones at different heights, forming a virtual leading or trailing arm - where the lines produced forwards or backwards from upper and lower wishbone inner pivots cross in side view is the pivot of the virtual leading/traling arm.

On the railways you can see similar on BX1 bogies where the load from the brake pads feeds into the bogie structure rather than the hub. The rear of the bogie sits down, while the front rises up. The odd feature of this layout is that the bogie's primary suspension is shorted out while the brakes are on - which puts very high loads into the brake pad support structure.

Do cars need rear brakes? - Mick Snutz
On the subject of brakes, here's a question for NumberCruncher.

Is there a reason why calipers are sometimes fitted on the leading end of a disc brake or the trailing edge or is it simply dependent on the cars suspension and design?
Fitting a caliper to the rear of a disc means that the braking force when reacted at the wheel bearing subtracts from the bearing load caused by the car's mass. This means that the bearing can be sized smaller, which means that the hub can be made smaller, which means that the springs and dampers can be made softer while still controlling the suspension adequately. It's a good thing, and is why you tend to see it on cars like Porsches.

It can clash with the desire to have the steering linkage behind the front suspension, with the rack mounted on the bulkhead, rather than having a forward or a high mounted rack.

That's fascinating NC. I would have sworn the position of the caliper made no difference. You learn stuff every day (well, I do anyway).

Do cars need rear brakes? - Mick Snutz
Thanks NC. The more I learn about cars, the more intricate and amazing all that engineering seems.
>>the more intricate and amazing all that engineering seems.

It's the same for me. The more I look into it, the more I realise I don't understand! - phrased another way, it would be nice if more of my designs worked and passed their qualification tests first time!

Do cars need rear brakes? - SteVee
Do modern braking systems know when the car is travelling backwards ?
Having spun a car on an airfield - and then travelling backwards rather rapidly, the brakes were pretty useless - the ABS just kept cutting in.

I got the impression that the weak rear brakes would try stopping the car, the 'strong' front brakes would grab - and lock almost instantly. ABS would take the pressure off to get the wheels moving. And so, very little braking effort in reverse.

Haven't managed to spin my motorcycle yet - if I ever do, I hope to remember the back brake by itself :-)
>>Do modern braking systems know when the car is travelling backwards ?

Without an electrical signal from the reversing light switch, the ABS controller doesn't know - the wheel sensors only produce a waveform, the frequency of which is proprtional to speed in either direction of rotation.