V50 New Car Deal - loskie
Been offered a factory ordered Volvo V50 2.0d s in metallic paint of my choice on the road inc 12m RFL for £14900 inc my old car(realistically worth £500) on the scrappage scheme. This is a local dealer so the logistics of getting my old car to him are good. Internet dealers could require me to get my car to supplying dealer anywhere in the country.
Is this a good deal? They want a quick decision.
should I be looking for more off/extras?
RRP is something like £20100
Thanks

Edited by loskie on 14/06/2009 at 07:56

V50 New Car Deal - gpmartin
Hmm - dealdrivers.com have the V50 down at £17k OTR with six months' tax (no metallic pain). They don't allow you to add a scrappage deal on top of that, so <£15k with scrappage sounds very good. Drivethedeal.com offer RRP minus 20% minus £1300, so probably about the same as the deal you've got once you throw in the metallica paint. Add in the convenience of a local dealer and your deal sounds good.
V50 New Car Deal - ifithelps
loskie,

Sounds pretty good to me, although the main point of my post is that you are not meant to exist.

Everyone tells me no-one who has a £500 car can afford to take part in the scrappage scheme and buy new.

Given the number of scrappage orders, m'thinks the pundits got that one wrong.

I think I exist.
Bought the old Skoda 5.5 years ago for £4700 have put 145000 miles on it in the time I've had it. Put away a set amount each month from my expenses into a dedicated car savings account hence have the money to buy one.
Main downside is I DON'T LIKE SPENDING MY MONEY.
Was looking at cars £8 to £10k but this seems to make more sense. I hope it doesn't all fall flat.
V50 New Car Deal - ifithelps
loskie,

I bought a new Focus CC3 in March and it has been, and continues to be, a tonic.

That may reveal me as a shallow male of the species, but there it is.

On t'other hand, spending more than you are comfortable with is never a good idea.

Given that you've saved the money, don't think anyone could accuse you of being extravagant.

If you continue to put some aside, you'll soon have a bit of capital again, and a nice shiny new Volvo in the garage - marvellous. :)

Edited by ifithelps on 14/06/2009 at 15:18

As said I am not spending money i don't have; i just don't like spending money. Only debt i have is small mortgage approx 1/3 value of the property.
Doesn't seem wise to buy new with depreciation etc but I spend a lot of time in the car and can have to travel anywhere in the country at short notice so wanted something newish. V50 has worked out cheaper than Focus 2.0 tdi estate from large Scottish dealer
V50 New Car Deal - Pugugly
Your financial affairs are your own concern ! No need to justify it to anyone here. :-) Sounds like a good buy to me - go for it.
V50 New Car Deal - Happy Blue!
Seconded. To get that car for that money appears to be a bargain.
V50 New Car Deal - gmac
Make sure it has the Winter Pack*. Resale of a Volvo without the Winter Pack is not always easy. It should at least have the heated seats as they really are necessary with a diesel engine in a cold winter.

* Heated seats, headlight washer jets and over carpets.
V50 New Car Deal - Avant
It might be worth seeing what sort of a deal you can get on the equivalent Octavia estate which personally I would choose (and have done) over the V50. But if you can't, this sounds like a very good price.

Edit- there's something in HJ's latest news (above) about an improved scrappage deal on new Skodas.

Edited by Avant on 15/06/2009 at 01:26

After 2 good long test drives in an Octavia Scout(was my preferred car) and borrowing Dad's 57 plate Octavia Elegance for a couple of nights I was still unable to find a comfortable driving position no matter how many adjustments I made. was a bit disappointed, overall running costs with Octavia made more sense.
The Skoda dealer was unaware of the extra scrappage (£3000 deal) allowance even when I pointed it out to him he couldn't find the info so said i was mistaken.
My 10 yr old Octavia has served me well will be sad to see it go. I have ordered the V50.