Back Room acronyms - L'escargot
I worked out what IMHO stands for, although I have my doubts as to whether all who use this acronym are truly H !!
Could anyone please explain to me the meaning of the other acronyms commonly used by Back Room guys and gals ? Or do I need to take part in some devilish initiation ceremony before I'm allowed to join the BRAUC (Back Room acronym users club) !!
Back Room acronyms - Dynamic Dave

www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm
www.netlingo.com/emailsh.cfm

THX for this info.

GTGP now.
Back Room acronyms - THe Growler
You beat me to it with that link, otherwise it might have been a case of AWGTHTGTTA

Anyway, YAFIYGI, FWIW

TTYL
Back Room acronyms - Toad, of Toad Hall.
YKIMS: You know it makes sense! (Said like Del boy.)

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Back Room acronyms - <0.One%
The netlingo site is a good staring point, but it is incomplete; eg. last week on this site I had to help explain the meaning of OTTOMH.
Back Room acronyms - Dynamic Dave
Ok then, try this one.

www.acronymfinder.com/

Good site, apart from the pop up windows.
Back Room acronyms - CM
Don't you think that these acronyms are a sign of laziness in the modern era? Can't we write out the proper words or is everyone too busy?

It is something really designed for those people who ware their baseball caps back to front.

It is just my POV but YKIMS!
Have you tried sending text messages without abbreviations? Especially when you're driving :-)

And, for L'EScargot also, today I have seen an advance on the baseball cap habit: a scooter rider with a peaked helmet wearing it back to front. Someone here used the acronym PRAT a few times, anyone know what that stands for?
Change is inevitable -- progress is optional.
Back Room acronyms - CM
Have you tried sending text messages without abbreviations? Especially when you're
driving :-)

Fortunately not - only cos the phone writes out the word 4U :-)
Well, the guy I passed last night was obviously a candidate set to benefite from the labour-saving concept of acronyms, since he was texting with his left hand, trying to deal with a steering wheel and what appeared to be a burger with his right, while carrying on a conversation which involved alternately turning to his companion and watching the the colour TV mounted on his dashboard. Meanwhile his Nissan Urvan was cruising nicely at 38 kmh with two wheels in the fast lane and two in the middle one.

I didn't dare hoot him in case I distracted him.

Meanwhile his Nissan Urvan was cruising nicely at 38 kmh
with two wheels in the fast lane and two in the
middle one.

I hope that it wasn't two front wheels in the fast lane and two rear wheels in the middle lane (!!) or vice versa.
If the UK police can do you for eating potato chips at traffic lights, what would they make of in-car videoke, I wonder. Of course singing certain songs would not constitute offences, since everybody knows the words and thus wouldn't have to look at the screen, like "My Way".

(On the other hand, singing "My Way" should be an offence in itself).

The correction about acronyms is correct and I should know better. TY

Don't you think that these acronyms are a sign of laziness
in the modern era?

Couldn't agree more, CM.

Er, um, is CM an acronym, by any chance ? (Only joking, of course.)
Back Room acronyms - PB
Just to be pedantic...
an acronym should be another 'word' (i.e. pronounceable at least), which doesn't have to be just the initials.
So
SAD= seasonal affective disorder
SQUID = sub-quantum interference device
etc.
Just to be pedantic...
an acronym should be another 'word' (i.e. pronounceable at least), which
doesn't have to be just the initials.
So
SAD= seasonal affective disorder
SQUID = sub-quantum interference device
etc.

THX for this info. Always happy to learn something new.
Back Room acronyms - Dwight Van Driver
....errrr, like Fresh Air Ram Technology?

DVD
Back Room acronyms - smokie
I don't believe acronyms need to be another word. Just any set of initials. Will check.
Smokie you appear to be correct: viz:

www.ucc.ie/acronyms/

Back Room acronyms - GJD
Or alternatively:

Smokie you appear to be incorrect: viz:

www.worldwidewords.org/articles/acronyms.htm

GJD
Or the wonderfully confused www.chemie.fu-berlin.de/cgi-bin/acronym where they say

"(An acronym is a word formed from the initial letters of the words of a compound term.)

Beispiele / Examples
USA - United States of America
NMR - Nuclear Magnetic Resonance
ALA - (mehrere Bedeutungen / several meanings)"

These are words???
Back Room acronyms - PB
>>I don't believe acronyms need to be another word<<

all '-onym's are words by definition, e.g. pseudonym, homonym, synonym. So SCUBA can be an acronym as it is pronounced as it looks, I suppose the Ford Capri GTXLR could be an acronym if you choose to pronounce it 'gutulxer'.
Back Room acronyms - Brill {P}
RLBS?

Stu.
Back Room acronyms - blank
Royal Leamington b***** Spa

Does this help?!

Leamington, Lemmington Lemington????
Back Room acronyms - <0.One%
PB said: >> Just to be pedantic...
an acronym should be another 'word' (i.e. pronounceable at least), which doesn't have to be just the initials. >>

At the risk of upsetting Smokie (judging by his reaction to my posts elsewhere), who expressed doubts/uncertainty about this statement. The follow-on links posted confirm PB was right.

And, strictly speaking, PB is right (you can look up any or all the classic references, including Fowler?s Modern etc.).

The confusion arises when abbreviations are mistakenly labelled acronyms.
The funny thing is, I'm not easily upset. And yet a couple of times recently, I've found some people's postings on this site unnecessarily rude, aggressive or arrogant.

Maybe it reflects their driving style <---motoring link at last in this thread

I stand corrected over acronyms.

Back Room acronyms - Mark (RLBS)
>>And yet a couple of times recently, I've found some people's postings on this site unnecessarily rude, aggressive or arrogant.

A valid point. Perhaps we should *all* lighten up a bit.
Back Room acronyms - bogush
Whereas most people would entrust their grandmother to me.

In fact, most people would mistake their grandmother for me on the roads!;-)

(But, no, I would never tow a caravan!;-(
Back Room acronyms - steve paterson
L'escargot
A few years ago I worked with an old plodder called Les. He drove the oldest and slowest lorry on the fleet, a Ford cargo.
Someone christened him Lescargo. Old Les was proud of his new nickname for a couple of days - until someone told him.
Back Room acronyms and Lescargo - Tomo
A thought. Escargots on this site beware.

My circa 1906 Harmsworth Encyclopaedia confirms that toads eat snails!

(Both get squashed by motors, to keep the motoring connection for the benefit of - well, someone!)

Tomo