99 1.8 Revs increasing - speed not ! - Too Far
Over the past few months my car has been going a bit weird.

When travelling in 30mph, if I put my foot down on the accelerator, the revs would go up, but I wouldn't get any increase in speed, just a loud noise! After about 5 long seconds the car would pick up speed and the revs would decrease. Also when sat at traffic lights the revs seem really low, they hover just below the 1000 mark and it feels like it will cut out.

After talking to a few people they said I needed a new clutch.

I got the clutch replaced and fitted today. I've just taken the car out for short test drive but due to speed restrictions only got up to about 50mph - the initial problem of high revs but no speed seems to have improved. Although not 100% like it was before. I will need to take the car onto a duel carriage way or motorway to really see if it has been fixed.

But the low revs when sat at traffic lights is still there, if anything it seems a little bit worse than before.

Were the two problems unconnected?

If so, do I have a leg to stand on if and when I take it back?

Any input would be great, thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/06/2009 at 10:41

99 1.8 Just had a new clutch fitted, was I ripped - Too Far
Sorry, I ment to say 'When travelling OVER 30mph' not 'When travelling in 30mph'!
99 1.8 Just had a new clutch fitted, was I ripped - Peter.N.
The 'engine speed increasing' was undoubtedly due to the clutch slipping and should now be OK. The tickover speed will not be affected by the clutch unless its not disengaging properly, which would make it difficult to get into gear and the car would tend to creep forwards. Just under 1000 rpm sounds about right for tickover speed.