A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Adam {P}
...or do I need to console him?

I apologise if this is in the wrong place - I suspect Discussion is a better place for it but happy for it to be moved if that isn't the case.

Good evening to you all.

Mum somehow managed to get Dad to do the shopping before which means a week of cereal I've never heard of, the wrong milk and fruit that looks like it's been irradiated. But anyway, it was when he returned that he said he'd had to nurse the car home because it had just virtually packed up.

I went out and struggled to start it but finally managed it when it became obvious something was badly wrong. It sounded like a tractor...moreso than usual and wouldnt rev over 1500 so I promptly shut it off and confirmed to Pa something he already knew - something was wrong.

It was later on that Mum said he'd filled up and asked him whether he'd put petrol in...the sheer look of horror (and the subsequent receipt) confirmed this and it turns out he's put 30 quid of petrol into a nearly empty tank and goodness knows how, managed to drive 10 miles.

The problem is, the car isn't really that old (07 plate Mondeo) with less than 20k on so writing it off as "bad luck" isn't an option. It's getting towed tomorrow to get the tank drained but I think he's as good as signed the death warrant for it.

I hope I'm wrong...please tell me I am.

Adam

P.S. If it was me that had done this to his car, I'd now be dead.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/06/2009 at 21:51

A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Alby Back
I should think laughing, certainly in the short term, could be equally life threatening.......
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Pugugly
Plenty of stuff in Tech - in fact volumes. Do a Forum search there and you'll find buckets there.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Alby Back
He'll need more than a bucket to get 30 quids worth out..........
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - rtj70
The AA do a mobile service for this - they'd come to you.

Does not sound good he'd driven so far though. Let us hope you're lucky and it only needs flush and a new fuel filter.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - tack
Been there, done that and got the tattoo!

I understand petrol strips the engine lubrication.

Why have it towed? RAC will come out and do the job on your drive,

I sincerely hope it works out ok, but not sure what a 10 mile drive will do.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - tack
ignore last, it is the AA and costs nearly £200.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - 1400ted
I did this last year with the Suzy V. Day before going away I tanked up to the brim......with super unleaded.....£35 on top of £35 diesel already there ! Bums !
Only 200 yds from home so drove back, backed down the drive and ran back wheels up the ramps. Now, how do I get the damned stuff out ? No sign of any fuel pipes under bonnet, turned attention to rear...no drain plug. Trusty length of tube ? no, wouldn't go down the filler.
Had a length of 8mm petrol pipe, got it into the tank and could blow bubbles but it was too short. Cut a metre of 10mm copper and forced it in the end. Syphoned by mouth but it worked. 2 buckets on the go and some jerrycans later and it was all out. Put in 5 gals of derv , went to the garage and brimmed her up with the right stuff. I reckon the incident cost me about £140. Will be more careful in future. The Suzuki never missed a beat through all this !

Good luck.

Ted
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Harleyman
Just out of interest, Ted; how did you dispose of the "contaminated" fuel?
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - b308
how did you dispose of the "contaminated" fuel?

I wondered that as well... I wouldn't have enough containers for that amount either!

Good luck to the OP though!
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - claybar
my dad did this to his 56 plate mondeo ghia X. The car already had about £10 of derv in it. He then filled it with £35 of petrol and drove home, car spluttered and cut out. Got towed back to the main dealer and ended up costing his company £2500 to get fixed. melted the injectors.
If you dont drive it your ok but the fact its been driven 10 miles does not sound good.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Graham567
I thought the Mondeo had a system to stop you putting the wrong fuel in or is it only on the brand new model?
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - moped
I did the same to a Corolla. I topped up with diesel, and added 2 litres of engine oil to lubricate the engine. 2 years later it is still runing perfectly.
I thought the Mondeo had a system to stop you putting the wrong fuel in

Only the new Mondeo and very latest Focus. And when I say latest Focus I mean the updated Mark II and not all Mark II's.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Old Navy
Can the pre facelift MK2 Focus be backfitted with the easyfuel filler?
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - spikeyhead {p}
Had the injectors actually failed? or was it just Ford insisting that they were changed so they could charge the leasing company?
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - claybar
Had the injectors actually failed?

I saw the state of the engine and it was messed up badly. The car was taken to a dealer in Birmingham where my friends dad worked so we got a good inside story on the state of the car, not the dealer talking bull trying to bump the prices up for work that didnt need doing. With petrol running at a higher temp than diesel the petrol had basically set the engine on fire and melted anything in its path.
A friend had a similar problem with a Brand new ford Focus 1.6tdci (about an 06 reg). He said he had not put petrol in it but someone had sabotaged it. To cut a long story short he claimed on the insurance and they paid up. Gut instint is that he put the wrong fuel in and lied. He claimed the garage filled it up with the wrong fuel or that someone had put a jerry can of petrol in the car as a joke. I can remember the bill for that being around the £2k mark.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - DP
I mentioned before about a Belgian colleague who misfuelled his delivery mileage (kilometre-age) BMW 320d. The bill came to ?8,000 and was put on the company noticeboard as a warning to others.

Ok this is a BMW dealership in Brussels who will charge a silly labour rate, and probably replace parts they could realistically re-use, but this is never going to be a cheap fix.

The lack of lubrication caused the injection pump to break up internally, and send the shrapnel down the high pressure lines to the injectors. Pretty much every part of the fuel system from the filter forward was removed and thrown in the skip.
Thank you all for your not very comforting but very helpful replies.

Said car has just been towed away by a friendly garage who are going to drain the tank and refill with diesel and take it from there. Although going off what everyone has said, a huge cost looms.

Although if I may make an observation, I find it absolutely ridiculous that the actions of a stressed mind, and one pump over can virtually destroy an engine. Ok, yes it was his fault and his fault alone - but bearing in mind how easy it is to do (I''ve had a close call with a company van) and how frequently it seems to happen, I'm surprised that fuel, albeit of the petrol variety can irreversibly wreck an engine. Of all the cars he's owned over the years (and he has owned some, frankly, ridiculous cars), the most expensive to repair will be the most modern...damaged by a absence of the mind for a matter of seconds.

Sorry for ranting - I know nothing can be done. It's just that the prospect of beans on toast for the next 12 months doesn't fill me with excitement.

I shall keep you all updated.

Thanks for your advice.

Adam
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - brum
Good luck, I for one dont believe a lot of the hype about how damage is inevitable. The crucial part is the HP pump, and whether it didnt shed any metal during this time.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - oldnotbold
I know that there loads of cunning anti-misfuelling gizmos out there, but here's another:

Mount an RFID chip by the filler cap (which is easy to do as an aftermarket fit).

Mount a sensor on the fuel nozzle trigger, and if sensor picks up the wrong signal from the car RFID chip, then the hose automatically cuts off.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - OldSock

RFID chips?

How about a more low-tech solution - different-shaped nozzles + filler orifices?

Surely it can't be that difficult to make nozzles with, say, a hexagonal section for petrol and heptagonal for diesel - appropriately-sized to prevent cross-fitting?
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - apm
I'm toying with the idea of one of these.

www.misfuellingprevention.co.uk/

For £40 it could be a bargain...

Neither myself nor Mrs APM have misfueled yet, but as has been pointed out it only takes a moment of inattention...

BW,

A.
damaged by a absence of the mind for a matter of seconds.

He did drive ten miles in a car that was clearly having problems. Filling it up was a small problem. Driving it with petrol in it for that many miles is what will have caused damage.

Let's hope you're lucky. The engine would be damaged if the lack of lubrication from the diesel oil causes the pump to break up and thus inject metal into the engine. If the pump did not fail you may be lucky.

If you have been lucky (avoiding the cheap beans on toast), then you then need to keep fingers crossed that the pump does not fail at some point in the future. Remember these common rail pumps have fuel held in the rail at close to 30,000psi.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - diddy1234
I am just wondering if your lucky with this accident, a good third gear motorway blast would help the car afterwards ?

I would have thought this would clear the fuel lines and also get the engine nice and hot.

Or would it be best to nurse the car around for a tankful ?
>>He did drive ten miles in a car that was clearly having problems. Filling it up was a small problem. Driving it with petrol in it for that many miles is what will have caused damage.<<

You are of course right Rob, and perhaps I was cutting a bit too much slack. After all, I did say he was to blame.

But (and I'm bound to defend him - this is the man, after all, who has got me out of more motoring "mishaps" than I care to remember), it's easy for us to make the connection "Whoops - car's running a bit ropey - just filled up, I wonder if I've misfuelled" and stop. I would have done that as I'm sure everyone else here would. But Dad doesn't frequent forums or look at websites so to him, this danger (and let's be honest, if you don't know about these things, someone telling you that misfuelling a diesel is curtains for the car would sound unbelieveable) was unknown. To him, he has a noisy car that gets filled from the black pump (usually) but is very economical and that's that. I doubt he could tell you what MPG it gets and I daresay he hasn't the faintest idea how to work the climate control but that's because he just doesn't really care. It's a car, and as long as it's working, great!

He still seems genuinely surprised that he has probably caused extensive damage to it.

Anyway, fingers crossed eh?

Adam
On reflection, my last post may have made out that Dad is a doddering, clumsy motorist but this isn't the case; in fact, I'd go so far as to say that I have never been in a car with a better driver. But when it comes down to all this black magic voodoo CTDi TDCi and EFGi, he, like a lot of other people I daresay, are unaware of the technical goings on.
Looks like it might be steak for tea! Early reports are suggesting car was ok after a drain and filling with diesel. It's getting collected tonight so I'll advise a bit later.

B308 & Harleyman.
Just come on and seen your questions....I'm involved with a small repair garage locally. Rang the owner, a friend, and he has someone who takes all his oil and waste.
Kept some tho' , makes a good cleaner for the greasy bits.
My mistake entirely, filling up, but it was compounded a little by the pump having a black nozzle instead of the usual red one.
Mea culpa.

Ted
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - barneybear
I did the same to a 1-year old Zafira, and it was only when it conked out going down a hill that I put "filling up" and "iffy engine" together. AA collected car, and as it was a lease car they sorted it out - £450.
I went back to garage as I was sure I had used the diesel pump. However I hadn't. I had used unleaded, but it was running an advert for the diesel golf on the handle of the nozzle - I saw the word diesel....
But it ran very well for two more years with me and then a friend bought it from the lease company (knowing about the problem) and they ran it for a further 2-3 years before the clutch gave out.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Bagpuss
I went back to garage as I was sure I had used the diesel pump.
However I hadn't. I had used unleaded but it was running an advert for the
diesel golf on the handle of the nozzle - I saw the word diesel....

I once stopped at a Shell garage to fill up my M3. I always tried to avoid Shell garages as they didn't have Super Unleaded, only the V-Power ripoff stuff but the SatNav couldn't find anything else in the vicinity.

Anyway put the nozzle for the V-Power ripoff petrol in the tank and started filling up. Put the filler on automatic and left it to fill whilst I observed the blonde filling up her Carrera. After a minute or so glanced at the nozzle and noticed with horror the big "Diesel" sticker on it. Heart in mouth I switched the filler off and pulled the nozzle out of the tank. Then I noticed the sticker was actually an advert for the diesel Audi A5.

I reckon that incident took several years off my life expectancy.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Harleyman
I'm involved with a small repair garage locally. Rang
the owner a friend and he has someone who takes all his oil and waste.
Kept some tho' makes a good cleaner for the greasy bits.

Cheers Ted. I was merely curious as I suspected the local recycling centre would have had a blue fit if you'd turned up with that lot!
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - b308
And from me, Ted!

Going back to Adam's comment on how such a small thing can cause such damage... I think we've covered it before, but basically its the nature of the fuel (diesel is more "lubricating" than petrol) and the complicated nature of modern diesels...

It would be a nice idea to have different shaped nozzles but for it to work it would have to be a retro fit... and I suspect that would be too costly...
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - ifithelps
... he has someone who takes all his oil and waste....

We had a heater in the garage which ran off, among other things, waste oil.

Used to drain all the old oil filters into it as well - surprising how much you can get out of half a dozen a day.

I thought about a heater but it was half derv half super UL. might have put the garage into orbit. Made my caravan waste water containers stink for ages afterwards.

Long gone are the days on road rescue when you rescued someone on a garage forecourt by parking them over a drain round the corner and syphoning it straight out. !

Ted
Good morning everyone.

Sorry for the late reply - looks like we may gave got off lightly with this one...car is back with us and seemingly running fine.

Just charged for the new diesel that it was topped up with.

Thank you all for your very helpful advice. I'll let you know when sufficient time has passed to allow me to joke about it!

Adam
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - able1
That is an incredible result after a 10 mile drive - was it a difficult urban 10 miles or relatively easy rural 10 miles ? how long was the journey ?

The natural inclination by the non mechanically minded, or indeed many mechanically minded, is to floor it to 'clear the problem'.
Is it the mk11 or mk 111 ?
Hi able,

It would have been a 10-15 mile stop start journey with a quickish run and then stop start again.

It's what I (rightly or wrongly) would call the mkIII - i.e. from around Y reg to 57.

Adam
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Brian Tryzers
...glanced at the nozzle and noticed with horror the big "Diesel" sticker on it...
...Then I noticed the sticker was actually an advert for the diesel Audi A5.

I wonder if anyone made the opposite mistake and went on filling a diesel car from that pump. Might have made an interesting Small Claims case.
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Steve Pearce
Sorry for the late reply - looks like we may gave got off lightly with
this one...car is back with us and seemingly running fine.
Just charged for the new diesel that it was topped up with.

I hope when your parents decide to sell the car, they do the decent thing and 'fess up about the misfuelling to any potential buyer...
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - brum
Why? This petrol in diesel thing is 90% cash cow for dealer servicing depts.

Don't worry Steve. Apart from the fact that Dad intends to run the car to destruction (he's had a good go already!), he's a man of integrity. In fact, before I went on holiday earlier this year, I bought a car and agreed a part ex on mine (for completion when I returned). I actually told the garage that the brake pad warning sensor and the ABS lights were on which didn't seem to bother them.

I returned only to find Dad had gone and got the sensors replaced (at his own cost) because "it was the right thing to do".

I guess it could be an interesting experiment as to how long it lasts. I've just been out in it and you wouldn't think anything untoward had happened!

A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - menu du jour
As your dad does not know his climate control from his TDCI, how did he know which sensors needed fixing?
Just wondering.
mdj
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - mikeyb

I would imagine he did the same as I would - took it to a garage.

Edited by Pugugly on 09/06/2009 at 21:17

mdj, an odd question if you don't mind me saying. Being 3000 miles away at the time, I couldn't be sure but as mikey suggests, I imagine he took it to the garage and said "My devillishly handsome, witty and very intelligent son passed comment that there are some lights on the dash. Can you fix them for me please?"...or words to that effect.

A light with "ABS" on it and another that's in the shape of a brake pad would have pointed them in the right direction I should think.

Adam
A lot of petrol into a diesel...should I laugh.... - Pugugly
What's your brother called then ?

Edited by Pugugly on 09/06/2009 at 21:18

You can go off people very easily. ;)