99 1.3 Overheating, think its the water pump - mekka
My Ka is overheating but the light isn't coming on in the dash. The light works ok as it tests at start up. The radiator fan does not come on either but does when I unplug the wiring on the coolant temp sensor. I have bled system, checked thermostat and checked for any blockages and fitted new temp sensor and no change. I am now thinking maybe the water isn't passing the coolant temp sensor and the problem is the water pump. In the haynes manual it says I need to remove the wheel arch liners, front bumper and headlight to fit a new water pump. Has anyone done this themselves that could advise whether I do have to do all that?
many thanks
99 1.3 Overheating, think its the water pump - Peter.N.
How do you know that its overheating, other than the temperature gauge?
These KAs don't actually have a temperature guage just the warning light. I believe it is overheating because of the heat that is coming from the engine now is much greater than it has ever been before. This heat doesn't reduce when I unplug the wiring from the coolant temp sensor which makes the radiator fan run.
99 1.3 Overheating, think its the water pump - piston power
Do all the hoses get hot?

Have you removed the thermostat and manually checked it opens?

The fan switch seems a possible problem, is this the ohv engine or the other duratec i think?
Its the Endura-E OHV engine. I have removed the thermostat and manually tested and it opens fine. The fan switch I believe is the coolant temperature sensor, the ECM sends a signal to the sensor which contains a resistor so that when the temp increases the signal sent back to the ECM has lower voltage. This is why when I unplug the wiring from the coolant temp sensor the fan turns on and stays on. I have changed the coolant temp sensor but no change, so I think it is that water isn't passing over the sensor and therefore it could be the water pump.
In terms of the hoses, the one coming from the thermostat housing to the radiator gets mega hot. The exit hose from the bottom of the radiator does not. This is after 5-10 mins of running the engine when parked.
Whip off the pump there cheap enough, has this been played with no air locks?
Thanks all for the replies. Ran it for a while with the radiator screw open slightly and the overflow cap off then tightened the screw and left the cap for a few minutes so it shouldn't have any airlocks. Do you know whether I would need to take off the bumber and the headlight and take out the engine support to get access to the water pump? thanks
Can't remember soz, it's a ford "should" be straight forward on that engine maybe take wheel arch out for access.
Cheers Bigtree, just as an update. I've removed the wheel arch liner but I'm going to have to remove the engine mount as there's not enough access. The only problem is I can't undo 2 of the nuts on the engine mount. Sprayed with WD40 and knocked them a bit with a hammer but no luck. The nut is starting to get a dint from the socket ratchet. Going to try again 2nite as sprayed them late Tuesday evening. Fingers crossed they will loosen. Does anyone have any tips for undoing problem nuts...?
99 1.3 Overheating, think its the water pump - thepoots

Hi there,

Did replacing your waterpump fix the problem ?? I have the same problem on my KA and wondered if the water pump may be the problem.

99 1.3 Overheating, think its the water pump - wkg

Just had cylinder head gasket go, mechanic says water pump failure has caused this. Pity no temp gauge and I definately had no red warning light. Thought this might be of interest to others.