my radio turns itself on! - jamesburns111111
Ever since I bought my volkswagon golf gt 05 every now and again (sometimes months apart) the radio spontaniously turns itself on usually in the middle of the niight.

I now have to get this sorted as my neighbours are starting to take offence at being awoken at night!

I have telephoned the dealership and they say it probably requires a software update but would have to charge for this as it is out of warranty.

Does this sound correct?
my radio turns itself on! - Alanovich
The same thing used to happen in a 2005 Seat Toledo I once had. Full volume, middle of the night.

Very similar car so expect the head unit comes from the same factory as your Golf.

There are lots of niggles with these units and quite a few threads about them on various Seat owners' forums (fora?), and I expect you'd find a bit on VW forums also.

My problem was only solved by replacing the head unit at a Seat dealer, fortunately under warranty for me.

Yours,
A fellow Burns

Edited by Alanovich on 04/06/2009 at 12:07

my radio turns itself on! - JohnM{P}
See HJ's Car by Car Breakdown for the GolfV - sounds like leaving a cd in the unit is the workaround.
(I haven't had that problem with my Golf, but as it has a 6cd unit, there's probably always a cd loaded).
JohnM
my radio turns itself on! - chewy
Indeed, that "solution" came from me.

I discovered that occasionally the radio would "detect" that a CD had been inserted, try to load it, fail (as you hadn't inserted one), and so fall back to playing the radio.

I went through 2 different head units before I got one that didn't have this "feature" - it had the silver dials etc on it, which the original ones do not have.
my radio turns itself on! - Talking Hoarse
Wish I had read this CD trick a few weeks ago!
My neighbour & pal has just taken his 54 reg Golf into dealer for same reason, head unit replaced by tham on exchange at £300 approx. Ouch.