T5 problems - apm
Hi all,

Having a bit of a situation with my new 850 T5.

Bought it a couple of weeks ago, primarily to do some workhorsing when we move house, but also because I like them. Test drive was good, no lights on. Picked the car up, ABS light on; thought little of it (should have rung alarm bells). Anyway, took the car to local trusted indy for a service & check over. Calls me with a list of problems. Couple of small bits- tracking out, tyre, check strap, but major concern is brakes. Needs

- front discs & pads, in a few months
- rear calipers, discs & pads very soon

Both of these aren't a huge thing, as I can source the parts on fleabay cheaply. Bigger concern is the ABS. The diagnostic threw out a list of problems (not seen this yet), including sensors and pump. Again, I can get parts on ebay for reasonable money, but it's all adding up. Indy reckons I should get shot, as it's looking like a money pit, but I do like it. Another concern is that the lambda light does not come on on start-up, so may have been disabled. Could be more woes?

Anyway, thoughts?

I'm cross mostly at myself for not checking more carefully. I'm wondering about the dealer (home-based). I assume I have no come back as the car is roadworthy. It's odd that the ABS light was out when I test drove, and back on when I picked it up. Wondering if he disconnected it?

Suspect we'll just use it until september (when MOT runs out) and then flog on ebay for whatever we can get. Other ideas very welcome!

:-(

Cheers,

Alex.
T5 problems - Pizza man
if you really like it fix it, there good cars and when looked after they last well. It's not blown up so if you find and fix any faults now it should be fine.
T5 problems - BobbyG
IIRC this was about £800 or so? Surely if bought from a dealer there must be certain rights and one of them may be, would it pass an MOT just now? If not he has sold you an unroadworthy car?

On the other hand, if there is, say £500 worth of work to be done, would you then be happy to know you had spent £1300 on a T5 estate, that you now know is going to do you another year at least. Yes there may be other issues come up but the brakes should now be good for a few years?
T5 problems - apm
Your first point was highlighted by my independent- he says that there is a piece of consumer law that requries the car to be roadworthy for 3 months, which he reckons it isn't. Anyone know offhand which this is?

TIA,

Alex.
T5 problems - boxsterboy
Sale of Goods Act?

The brake disc/pad wear would have been evident when you first looked at the car. As for ABS lights, well they can come and go at random ... if it's just a dirty/faulty sensor.

But what can you expect for £800? How much service history did the car come with? I would do the work and hope nothing else comes up - but one of the joys of owning older cars (indeed all cars) is that they do need maintaining from time to time.

Edited by boxsterboy on 05/06/2009 at 16:17

T5 problems - apm
Cheers Boxster. This is more or less my view on things. The Volvo owners' forum has been most helpful- reckon it's all sortable. Mrs wanted me to look into this, as the doomsaying indy is not optimistic.

Cheers again

Alex.