ethanol and mpg - Fords new engine - moonshine {P}

I seem to recall that a few members of the BR experimented with adding ethanol to petrol to improve mpg. It now seems that Ford have been researching this and designed a "direct-injection ethanol engine". The engine runs on petrol but injects ethanol when maximum power is needed. The use of ethanol allows a higher compression ratio to be used.

See this weeks new scientist for the article.
ethanol and mpg - Fords new engine - MikeTorque
It's an interesting idea Ford have been working on. By using smaller engines with a much higher compression ratio than a typical petrol engine, the engine management computer detects when a load is being applied and adds a little ethanol to the fuel injected into the combustion chambers, this gets around the problem of premature ignition/knocking. Hence, it allows a much higher compression ratio to be used which in turn equates to superior fuel economy & improves performance. This means a typical car engine can be downsized to one that produces around 23 per cent better fuel efficiency.
ethanol and mpg - Fords new engine - L'escargot
I dilute my ethanol with a dash of orange juice.
ethanol and mpg - Fords new engine - MikeTorque
Now there's an idea, vitamin C as a healthy fuel additive.

Image the advert, the ultimate fuel now includes a powerful antioxidant to help prevent free radical damage to your vehicles engine.
ethanol and mpg - Fords new engine - zookeeper
Now there's an idea vitamin C as a healthy fuel additive.
Image the advert the ultimate fuel now includes a powerful antioxidant to help prevent free
radical damage to your vehicles engine.

it used to be called leaded fuel