Getting a good deal? - Neilly
Just after the thoughts of people here really.

Interested in a new Gold VI. Went to dealer Saturday and managed to get 11% off the price with no real effort. Salesman was not pushy to close the deal and let me walk away and call back this week. After thinking about it all and discussing it with a few people I am wondering if I might have been able to get more. It all seemed to easy really.

So, is 11% good on a new Golf or is something higher easily achievable?

TIA

Neil.
Getting a good deal? - DP
VW dealers are notoriously tight when it comes to "deals". I remember a friend looking at a new mkV Golf GT TDI 140 back in 2006, and he couldn't get a penny off the thing, anywhere. Free mats, first service free - stuff like that only. I'd say this is a pretty good indicator of the state of things at the moment.

Have you tried a broker? (HJ recommends Drive The Deal). These are UK cars supplied by UK dealers with full warranty. The brokers simply take advantage of bulk (fleet) order discounts, and pass them on to end users.

If a broker beats the deal you've been offered, but going this route makes you uncomfortable, print the quote off and wave it under the salesman's nose. It's not unheard of for dealers to match (or get very close to) broker prices.

Good luck!

Cheers
DP
Getting a good deal? - maz64
Have you tried a broker? (HJ recommends Drive The Deal).

I had a look out of interest, but on the model I tried (1.6S) the discount came out at 11%.
Getting a good deal? - ifithelps
www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/item.htm?id=6202

The above story from Manheim is about a whole heap of used Golf VIs making '90 per cent of list price' at auction.

Seems unlikely a spankers new one would be cheaper, which begs the question: "Eleven per cent off what?"

Percentages can be misleading, so to compare you need a price in pounds and pence of an identical spec car delivered to the dealer, including either six months or 12 months road tax.

Edited by ifithelps on 26/05/2009 at 11:12

It was 11% off the on the road price.
Getting a good deal? - oldgit
Is this car available from stock? If however you are talking about a factory order, then don't do it, would be my advice.
I ordered my new Golf in February and learned today, almost 12 weeks later that I won't have it until August. Currently VW HQ's told me that delivery is now 20 weeks unless you've committed the sin, as I have, of ordering one with a sunroof.
No it was for a factory order. They quoted about 10-12 weeks.
Strange thing is, and I really don't understand this, I have heard nothing from them since!
Getting a good deal? - cuthbert
Tried one or two local VW dealers and were a waste of space really they think that punters will just except the deals they offer you .
Was able to get a good discount through Carfile !! It was going to be put through a dealership in the midlands but decided against buying VW in the end

Ask for Jonathan at Carfile he is a really helpful
Getting a good deal? - quizman
I bought a Golf from Jonathan at Carfile. It was delivered on time, full of diesel at a very competative price.

Carfile also sell other makes of cars, they do not take any money, you pay the dealer.
No it was for a factory order....Strange thing is and I really don't understand this, I have heard nothing from them
since!

You won't do. They never seem to volutarily contact their customers. I have never received a call from them UNLESS I have contacted them first by phone or email. If they have quoted 12 weeks then they are probably telling porky pies as Milton Keynes told me this week that 20 weeks is probably the expected time at least for a Golf with a few extras and don't forget the factory shut all August, I believe.

Edited by oldgit on 28/05/2009 at 17:43

Getting a good deal? - Bill Payer
I think the salesman was probably having a laugh offering 11% off - **very** unusual for a VW dealer. Maybe it was his last day and he hasn't followed up because he's not there anymore?
Not really !! if you go through a car broker !!

I think VW dealers think they have some little cartel going !! if people are prepared to pay the list price or near to list price they will take your money off you that's for sure
I was once, quite literally, guided towards the door with a gentle hand on my elbow in a VW dealership after asking about discounts. "I don't think we'll be able to do business with you", the salesman said.

I did get the car I wanted at an agreeable price from another dealership.
Are they still trading ?? those days are gone and a good job too!!!
Yes there are some cars that you will not get a discount on but they are very few and far between
Are they still trading ??

Yes, but only as an Authorised Repairer for Volkswagen Cars now - they lost (I gather VW wanted them to spend a huge amount on a new facility and they refused) the new car sales franchise some years ago.
A bit daft of VW really, as it's left quite a hole in what I would have thought should be a good area for new VWs.
>> Are they still trading ??
Yes but only as an Authorised Repairer for Volkswagen Cars now - they lost (I

That sounds like a garage my friend used to use, in the Surbiton/Kingston-upon-Thames region?
That sounds like a garage my friend used to use in the Surbiton/Kingston-upon-Thames region?

It was Barber's in Northwich, Cheshire.
Getting a good deal? - MikeTorque
One way to work out the value of a car is to work out what the car may be worth this time next year. If say a car loses on average £100 per week in depreciation and you feel that is too much then reconsider the price and car.
Well they are certainly prepared to do the car for 11% discount, salesman contacted, me yesterday. They won't however discount any extras which is not what was agreed when I first discussed it.
Getting a good deal? - ifithelps
...They won't however discount any extras which is not what was agreed when I first discussed it...

As I posted earlier, eleven per cent off what?

Talking percentage discounts off a new car is meaningless, as you are discovering.
Getting a good deal? - nick
The cost on the road is what matters. Percentages mean diddley-squat. Think in money.
Getting a good deal? - MikeTorque
Discounts are available for optional extras, the dealer is playing hardball with you, play hardball back at them. If they won't play ball then offer them a price you consider is right for the deal to work, if they refuse your offer then ask them to phone you anytime within the next 48 hours if they would like to make a sale, then politely walk away.

If they do phone it means they are interested in a sale but then may try to up your price, don't move on price, if they say they can't do the deal then ask them again to reconsider and to phone you back when the price is right for you. Also mention things such as you would have the car serviced by them, if that is your intention, they like follow up service trade, be open & honest with whatever you choose to say to them.
Getting a good deal? - hethmar
Im amazed a local dealer offered 11% off list price as the brokered dealers are offering 10% off.

When I went to buy a Golf Plus a couple of weeks ago, the salesman lent back in his chair and smiled when I asked for discount on top of scrappage. He wrote down the list price, less the £2k and said, thats the price.

As it happens Ive gone to a broker now but when I noticed the VW scrappage deals had increased this weekend Ive rung the local dealers to see how much they will now offer the VWs for and they are still £700 more than the brokered deal.

Edited by hethmar on 01/06/2009 at 18:57

Getting a good deal? - Sunny22
Snap his hand off, not sure what you have to think about...
Interesting you say that, another dealer I phoned said the very same to me if they were offering the car at that price.

Car now ordered.
Getting a good deal? - Golf Cruiser
Well, I have just ordered a new factory mkVI diesel golf with extras, using the scrappage scheme and got £5006 off the on the road price using a broker. Guess that is a good deal?
Which broker did you use ???
Getting a good deal? - loskie
will your broker be able to commit to the 4 month max from order to delivery to satisfy the rules of scrappage?
I see a few brokers saying scrappage is not available on golfs due to the delays in delivery.
Getting a good deal? - Golf Cruiser
I used carfile.net - bear in mind that VW are offering £3950 off an S spec diesel. The broker puts you in touch with a main VW dealer and have been advised that the car should be delivered early September - less than 3 months.
Yes I used Carfile they are a good straight forward company to deal with and have been about many years

I bought a Toyota not a VW but would have no hesitation to use them again

Perhaps because you are dealing with a major motor dealership they may have unsold orders in the order system and are able to get it in a shorter time period