What tyres can I use? - Xtype
What tyres can I put on the rear of my Jaguar Xtype 2.0D? I spoke to the Jag garage and they said I can only put Pirelli 6000J ' s on which are only suitable for Jaguar (they have a J in the code specfic to this model).
I then spoke to the local ATS and they said they can put Dunlop All Seasons on (£175 for 2 fitted).

Can anyone advise what I can put on and also a good price to pay? Is £175 good? After having a company car for so long Im a bit out of touch with tyre prices.

Thanks in advance.

Tyres currently on the car Pirreli 205/55/R16 V.
Reason to change - both rear tyres are on the limit.
What tyres can I use? - Hamsafar
I contacted Pirelli, as I bought some new P6000Js cheap off ebay a few years from a garage that was closing down for my Omega. When I took them to the tyre shop to be fitted, the 'boy' said they would only be suitable for Jaguars and as I didn't have one they would cause fishtailing! After I stopped laughing, I went home and emailed Pirelli and they said they would be fine and the only difference was an extra ply in the sidewall because the Jaguar needed a higher than usual load rating because it's heavy.

Check the load rating 89 or 91 is usual for that size and get a modern tyre such as the Pirelli P7, Goodyear Excellence, Uniroyal Rainsport 2 etc... that matched it, or just stick with jauguar's recommendation. You could always email pirelli and ask if P7 is a suitable replacement just to see what they say.

Edited by Hamsafar on 22/05/2009 at 18:21

What tyres can I use? - FotheringtonThomas
Dunlop SP Sport? Fastresponse? Federal Super Steel? Mitchelin Primacy? Bridgestone, Goodyear, Google "205/50R17"??
What tyres can I use? - Marc
"emailed Pirelli and they said they would be fine and the only difference was an extra ply in the sidewall because the Jaguar needed a higher than usual load rating because it's heavy."

My personal understanding would then be that any re-inforced or extra load tyre in 205/55/R16 V would be fine for the X Type.

If you look at a site such as mytyres.co.uk there's plenty to choose from all the major manufacturers in this configuration.

I was going to suggest checking with a Jaguar main dealer to see what they say but seems you've already done that. Maybe they have a ton of P6000Js to get rid of...

Edited by Marc on 22/05/2009 at 19:04

What tyres can I use? - richard price
I would ring www.micheldever.co.uk I have no connection at all but in my opinion they are very sound and will provide good advice.
What tyres can I use? - Kevin
I had four new tyres fitted on my XJ about three months ago (at Micheldever).

They recommended sticking with the P6000 if I didn't want to compromise ride quality.

My only complaint with the P6000 is the noise. On smooth tarmac they are fine but on roads with stone chippings the noise is noticeable.

I think they were just under £100 per corner all-in, 225/55-16.

Kevin...