97 1.5 diesel run on - nogutsnoglory413
When i turn the key of the engine runs on for a second or so and it seems to shudder the engine as it stops, also the gearstick rattles and knocks slightly when in second gear, all the other gears are fine, any ideas??

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/05/2009 at 19:59

97 1.5 diesel run on - Peter.N.
The run on is probably due to a sticking fuel solonoid. The gear lever rattle is probably to do with its position when in 2nd, possibly something touching underneath.
97 1.5 diesel run on - 659FBE
I will assume you have a Bosch VE injection pump fitted to this engine with the transponder immobiliser. This should be the case for your model year.

Firstly, check that the manual stop lever fitted to the side of the pump adjacent to the engine cylinder head operates correctly.

If this is the case, check that the engine stops immediately when the 3 pole connector which is fitted to the flying lead from the immobiliser housing on the pump is disconnected. The 3 pole connector is mounted on a bracket screwed to the cylinder block - accessible from underneath.

If the engine stops, the solenoid is being held energised. The ususal cause of this (other than damaged wiring) is a short between the two switched feeds from the ignition switch - there are two of them to prevent this problem.

If the supply to the injection pump shutoff solenoid is not independently switched, a sneak feed from the alternator warning light is sufficient to hold the solenoid energised.

I'd put my money on there being a problem with the Valeo/PSA bits rather than those made by Bosch.

Don't take the immobiliser on the pump apart.