Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - flunky
A couple of incidents in the last couple of days.

While crossing the road at a fairly complex junction yesterday (three separate sets of lights, four streams of traffic), I observed a young man, who crossed the first part of the junction (two lanes of traffic from the right) successfully while texting and listening on his phone. He then continued to cross - but the traffic from the left was pulling off. He paid no attention, continuing at a normal walking pace, resulting in a car passing very close to him, amidst beeping horns.

I put this down to distraction by the phone - in that situation any sensible pedestrian would either have waited for the lights to change again, or on seeing the oncoming traffic, run.

But perhaps I was mistaken - while out walking today, I saw a young man of chavvish appearance (with three companions of similar age and countenance), dart into the town centre traffic (30mph) cross the road in the face of traffic, causing disruption and a loud beeping. He then dallied back across the road , again oblivious as to traffic and causing a driver to slam on his brakes (the man walked in front of his car) - to which he responded by pressing his body against the car and bringing his fist down as if to smash the window (which he did not actually do).

He did not appear to be drunk (not really the time of day for it), and his companions seemed utterly indifferent to his behaviour.

Now I realise that this behaviour was a symptom of his total contempt for everyone but himself, but is it getting more common?

I assume the perpetrators know that drivers will make an effort to stop - knowing that the police would come down like a ton of bricks on decent people committing a single malfeasance whereas the police are entirely inured to the behaviour of the underclass, who will spend their adult lives demonstrating their contempt for society.

(PS. In certain circumstances 'assertiveness' with traffic is normal, such as in Central London - a large group of pedestrians can stop a stream of traffic - but jumping out in front of cars is not really that. BTW, this occurred in low-crime Surrey rather than an inner-city ghetto.)
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - ifithelps
If this sort of behaviour has now reached Surrey we might get something done about it.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - nortones2
Perhaps they were hurrying to get to their cars? Then they could beahve badly with impunity....
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Ben 10
I see it all the time. Mainly teenagers who think its okay to wander out into the path of traffic and expect you to stop for them. Its very common nowadays. I usually give them a blast on the horn when they least expect it. Gets the blood pumping round their lazy carcasses.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Tron
This is normal behavior for my area - I live near a college and to get there they (the cool dude yoofs) stream out of the bus station straight across two main roads with no regard for the fact vehicles, even though pedestrians have right of way, need time to stop.

Now do you see why I have a 170db Klaxon horn fitted to my vehicle - it is to awaken these walking dead beats and it does that 'just perfectly' too.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Andrew-T
I have a 170db Klaxon horn fitted to my vehicle

If you are serious, Tron, that sounds to me like an offensive weapon as it exceeds any safe working level by miles. But I can imagine the effect it could have.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - bathtub tom
I've noticed this sort of behaviour. I elect to not make eye contact and pretend to be tuning the wireless or similar. They (usually) get out of the way. ;>)

Darwinism!
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Optimist
I'm ashamed to say that when a young galoot did this to me recently, ie crossed when he had a red don't cross and I had a green light texting all the while, I accelerated quite hard and drove close enough to shift his baggy trousers as I went by.

I can only hope that when he got home and changed his trousers he carefully considered his behaviour.

I feel better now I've told someone that.

The mobile phone lad was not quite as simian-looking as the 'dance across the road and then back again for absolutely no reason other than to annoy people' lad, but he gave the impression that he had missed the screeching brakes, beeping horns and wind on his trousers. The in-ear headphones probably help with that.

I've tried to frighten idiots before, the problem is that bravery tends to go along with idiocy and I'd need to put myself closer to danger than I'm prepared to do in order to provoke any sort of reaction from them.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - mss1tw
One tried it while I was on the bike...accelerate sharply then clutch in and off the rev limiter changed the stupid look on his face...
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Lud
Pedestrians, often young, sometimes want to tough it out with traffic by flaunting their vulnerability.

If you keep going at a good lick the carphounds don't dare to do it. If you're crawling anyway because of the traffic it simply doesn't matter.

Same thing applies to cyclists who think it's all right to suddenly do a 90 degree turn on a pedestrian crossing and constitute themselves pedestrians to make you stop. I try to keep going or even accelerate and make them stop. It scares my wife, but the people concerned need it. Also applies to black cabs trying to do cheeky u-turns. I go straight at them and round them.

I am not an aggressive driver. I am simply practical, and generally courteous. But I am still quick-reacting enough not to have to eat everyone's carp. Of course you can't win them all.
I am not an aggressive driver. I am simply practical and generally courteous. But I
am still quick-reacting enough not to have to eat everyone's carp. Of course you can't
win them all.

I guess the problem is that when a young hoodlum decides to provoke some cars (an inherently amusing image - what's a fist against even 65hp and a ton of Fiat Punt) you never really know who is behind the wheel. An old duffer with poor reactions, a mother dealing with her kids, somebody on their mobile, etc. Many drivers are compromised, legally or otherwise, and testing them out is not the wisest move.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Mr X
We have quasi political organisations like ' BRAKE", one of the chief anti motorist groups in my view , making out that pedestrians can never be at fault for any accident they are involved in ( visit their site, it's full of nasty motorist stories ) .

Yet everyday, we as motorists, generally temper are driving to take in to account, the dangers some pedestrians pose both to themselves and other road users.
generally temper our driving to take in to account, the dangers some pedestrians pose both to themselves and other road users.

Yes Mr X, we have to in practice, because in the event of a collision with a pedestrian we will feel guilty (even if we aren't).

I too have heard this assertion that pedestrians can never be at fault. No one who has been a pedestrian or a driver can see it as anything but total and utter excrement.

Unfortunately if you run over someone the question of whose fault it really is recedes into the background in the short term, and may have to be established - if that is the word - by a court of law. And both driver and pedestrian are going to feel bad about it whatever happens. The squashy pink carphounds have got us over a barrel. So avoid the internal red mist, because you certainly don't want to witness the external one.

:o}
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - bell boy
i hate jay walkers
one should get points for things like ripping their arms off with wing mirrors
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - smokie
You probably would get points - and a fine!! :-)
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Mr X
tinyurl.com/y9um8e

Not just America either.

'In Brisbane, police have begun doling out fines after complaints from motorists involved in near-misses with jaywalkers. In Beijing and Shanghai, city officials have clamped down on jaywalkers in an attempt to improve public behaviour ahead of the 2008 Olympics and 2010 World Expo respectively. '
Hold on. Jaywalking is fine. A young whippersnapper of a New York policeman gave me some cheek about it once.

I jaywalk all the time. But I don't get in the way of cars and they don't think I'm going to. Quite a lot of pedestrians are like that in this town.

Unfortunately though the mimser and aggressive PITA sub-species exist among them too. Pedestrians are as rubbish as drivers, or nearly.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Hamsafar
There is one trick I do to these chavs and labour-louts who walk into my path with 'that look' on their face, I put my foot down and slide one hand quickly across the top of the steering wheel while holding it firmly with the other had out of view. It work best if you accompany it with a simultaneous slight deviation of the car's path, because as soon as it deviates and they see your hand 'swerve' they jump and fall over their unwashed and grey half-mast leisure suit bottoms to get out of the road.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - 1400ted

Arrogance !....I see this all the time. We have a brand new comprehensive close by and at chucking out time you get a lot of the inmates sauntering across the road in front of you with a sneer on their faces. as if daring you to wipe them out ! The shame is that these are not chavs or swamp-donkeys but kids from well-to-do families from a certain ethnic background These same kids walk in groups past my house with 12 to 15 yr old girls Effing and Blinding like common louts. I'm sure their parents would be mortified if they knew.

I have complained to the teachers about this behaviour, but, of course, it continues.

Ted
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Robin Reliant
Just turn your windscreen washer jets 90 degrees before you pass the troublesome school or college and give them a cooling shower as you pass.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - bathtub tom
I thought it was quite OK to run 'em over on a crossing if the lights were against them.

Push bikes on a (pedestrian) zebra crossing are 'fair game', I understood.

I'm a cyclist. ;>)

Edited by bathtub tom on 21/05/2009 at 00:51

Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - b308
I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the MP3/Ipod brigade - earphones in their ears and completely oblivious to the rest of the world - I'm sure that there's been several accidents already...

Just found:

tinyurl.com/qkwbr4

Edited by b308 on 21/05/2009 at 10:20

Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - ifithelps
One young lad who was playing football refused to move off the road for me a few months ago.

Instead, he spun round, bent over and dropped his trousers.

Silly boy - there are people I see at court who would see that as a leisure opportunity.

Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - apm
Was in Ireland recently, Celbridge near Dublin, Mother in Law driving, and came to within a gnat's crotchet of taking out a teenage girl who literally just walked out in front of the car without looking. On the phone, obviously. Didn't even react to the honk MiL gave her. Scary thing is that less than 18 months ago, MiL's niece & friend were run down & nearly killed by a car on the same road. No prosecution, no drinking by the driver; possibly excess speed though given extent of injuries. Broke her pelvis, took her months to learn to walk again. Worst part is that this girl is apparently friend of the Niece.

Bring back the cycling profiency, the Tufty club & the green cross code!

A.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - mrsarcasm
SHOCK HORROR! THEY'RE ALL YOUR SONS AND DAUGFHTERS!!!!!!!
In the event of a collision with a pedestrian we will feel guilty (even if we aren't)

The trouble is that the nerks we are discussing believe, probably rightly, that any motorist that hits them will be deemed in the wrong; in the same way as in a rear-end collision. They also assume the driver knows that and won't take the risk. The difficult judgment is whether a nerk deliberately jay-walking is being more foolish than a driver who tries to give him a serious come-uppance.
The difficult judgment is whether a nerk deliberately jay-walking is being more foolish than a driver who tries to give him a serious come-uppance.

Not that difficult surely? The nerk belongs in boot camp, the driver in a straitjacket.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - captain chaos
I always thought it was an offence to obstruct the Queen's Highway, pedestrian or otherwise. Is it also not an offence to impede or obstruct other road users?
Doesn't seem to be enforced. Perhaps we need jaywalking laws, as they do in the States.
It's quite annoying when you miss your green light "window" because pedestrians ignore the red man and carry on crossing regardless, usually accompanied with a malevolent stare.
Sorry. Rant over...
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Robin Reliant
The chavs who saunter across the road daring you to run them over pick their victims carefully, ie those who look like responsible citizens who would be horrified to cause injury or end up going to court.

They do not do it when the approaching car is a modded Corsa with a boom-boom sound system and four baseball cap wearers inside, for obvious reasons.

Edited by Robin Reliant on 21/05/2009 at 19:06

Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - L'escargot
Perhaps we need jaywalking laws as they do in the
States.

Perhaps we need our own (British) word for it before we start making laws about it. Why should we use an Americanism?
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - CGNorwich
Why should we use an Americanism?

Why not?

Why do you use a French pseudonym Mr Snail- half the English language is imported from other languages. Jay walking is understood. Why not use use it?

Edited by CGNorwich on 21/05/2009 at 19:28

Why do you use a French pseudonym Mr Snail- .........

It's not French. My name is Les and I've got a car. Les car got. Geddit?
It's not French.

Nice one, Les. :-)
Jay walking is understood. Why not use use it?

It's a vague and flexible term.

An anti-jaywalking law, US style, might be intended to keep people safe and prevent Kevin the teenager from gratuitously holding up traffic, but would inevitably be used to fine sensible pedestrians for crossing the road safely against the lights.

I see people all the time stabbing at the buttons and waiting with their mouths open for the little green man to legitimise further action, when if they weren't half-witted they would just walk straight across the road when it was safe to do so.

There are places where light-controlled pedestrian crossings are necessary, anyway at busy times. But there are really very few of them. Most of these crossings are completely unnecessary.
I see people all the time stabbing at the buttons ... when if they weren't half-witted they would just walk straight across the road when it was safe to do so

And I see some similar people stabbing similar buttons when there is hardly any traffic to stop. That must annoy the few drivers that have to stop unnecessarily.
It's quite annoying when you miss your green light "window" because pedestrians ignore the red man ..

Speaking as an occasional pedestrian, it's equally annoying when cars keep running red lights so there is too short a gap to cross the road safely between two streams of traffic.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Mchenry
I hope all you people self-righteously criticising a small minority of pedestrians would never dream of parking your car on the pavement.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - Sofa Spud
The best one I saw was when there was a tall, lame elderly gentlemen crossing the road at a red light. The light turned green and the driver of the first car in line started hooting at the poor man, who, enraged, stood in front of the car waving his walking stick and shouting and ranting and raving at the car driver. The oddest thing was that this offending driver was a little old lady!

Edited by Sofa Spud on 21/05/2009 at 22:28

That reminded me, I once saw an old guy actually smack a car on the roof with his walking stick over some percieved offence by the driver..On Paxos in the Greek Islands I saw an old girll dressed in black attack a parked scooter with her stick because there was a cat under it !

Sorry to disappoint you Mc Henry, but there are some on this forum who wouldn't dream of parking on the pavement, me included.

Ted
You should come to our seaside town. Everybody seemingly tries to annoy everybody else. Motorcyclists park on the pullover. Cars park on the pavement, park on double yellow lines and take up two spaces in carparks. Cyclists cycle on the pavement, cycle on the wrong side of the road, cycle diagonally across crossroads, and ignore traffic lights and "give way" signs completely. Pedestrians wander about the road oblivious to the traffic. Mobility scooters whizz about on the road, on the pavement, on pedestrian crossings, and in shops.

It's no big deal. It all part of life's rich pattern.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - CGNorwich
I admire your philosophy. Too many people get wound up over minor issues.
Pedestrians - annoying the traffic - AlastairW
Many of you talk of near misses. Have any of you run anyone over? I have. It is the most awful feeling in the world. Ok, he was drunk, and I didnt know he was under the wheel until I felt the bump, but it severely ruined my evening. You just have to steer clear of all peds.
(he was ok, by the way. According the the paramedic he was feeling no pain, despite my having driven over his arm, apparently.)
Nearly got one yesterday.....lights on red for me, woman in 20s waiting on right to cross, I got the green, looked at her, still waiting, checked left and moved off, my daughter shouted stop and this girl was right in front of me ! She'd only waited on green man and set off on the red one...........no wonder they get run over !

Ted