Standing a car for long periods - battery drain - motorprop
I need to store a car that's primarily used by a visiting relative a couple of times a year. It's a 9 y.o Jap 1.8 petrol 4 x 4 and not really worth flogging. It's MOT'd , insured and on a SORN at the back of a property, off road , outdoors.

The problem is the battery , which gets drained after about 2 -3 weeks, probably due to the Thatcham 1 alarm fitted . The car is stored about 2/3 miles away so i can't start it as often as I'd like .

Now, I've seen these products for sale , converting sunlight via solar panels to top the battery up. Do they actually work and can anybody recommend any ?

many thanks

cyberprop

Edited by Pugugly on 16/05/2009 at 22:10

standing a car for long periods - battery drain - martint123
Yes they do work and don't need bright sunshine all the time.
If you're asking about the tiny things that sit on your dashboard then maybe not.
Don't forget those using the ciggie lighter may not work as many vehicles have that controlled by the ignition switch.

A friend uses a solar panel to keep a boat battery charged and it seems to do the job, even over winter.

Other than that, remove the battery and use a battery tender on it in a garage.

Edited by martint123 on 15/05/2009 at 19:38

standing a car for long periods - battery drain - Optimist
If you've mains power where the car is stored there's a gadget HJ recommends which trickles charges as and when required.

Can't recall a name. Try google.
standing a car for long periods - battery drain - doctorchris
You need a trickle charger.
These are available in Aldi and Lidl but only at certain times of the year. However, they are cheap and reliable.
I kept a battery on a Fiat in tip-top condition with one of these for 2 years, sitting in our garage until we decided what to do with it, eventually selling it as my son didn't want the car.
standing a car for long periods - battery drain - Tron
Google '12v trickle chargers' & take your pick from those listed.
standing a car for long periods - battery drain - motorprop
should have added : No mains power available where car is parked . Has to be Solar.
This is London and you can't be choosy about free Off Street Parking.
standing a car for long periods - battery drain - Chris23
Make sure that you get a solar panel of sufficient capacity.

I would guess that your alarm will flatten the battery in around 2/3 weeks - this is a common problem in airport car parks. Assuming an 85a/h battery this gives a discharge rate of approx 3 watts.

Solar panels are always rated for great weather which we certainly don't get in winter (or often in summer for that matter) and certainly not at night!. They also assume that the panel is pointed at the sun - which in reality it won't be for most of the day. They thus don't actually give their rated output in real world 24/7/365 use.

To keep your battery charged I would guess a 15 watt panel would be the minimum. I would be very interested to hear the from anyone who has actually done this whether 15w is enough.

Unfortunately you might find this a physically bigger panel than you can easily use.
standing a car for long periods - battery drain - Optimist
If there's no mains power where the car is, can't you take the battery out of the car and keep it on trickle in your garage or whereever until the car is needed?

standing a car for long periods - battery drain - Old Navy
If there's no mains power where the car is can't you take the battery out
of the car and keep it on trickle in your garage or whereever until the
car is needed?

This is probably the best option, adequate solar panels dont come cheap!
standing a car for long periods - battery drain - Chris23
If you take the battery out just check that the car is happy about this for extended periods & doesn't "forget" how to work etc.

I am also surprised that you arn't having other problems such as rusty/seized brakes if SORN is declared & the car is kept in the open.
Not really, as when I want to get the car moved or returned , I tend to stick my folding bike in the back - ( it's only about 10 mins either way ) , so can't envisage lugging a full size battery on my back ...

Also, with the battery disconnection, that renders the alarm inoperable and reconnecting always sets it off, and the car is parked in a quiet residential location.

Has to be solar , and the issue remains there whether the cigar lighter works with the ignition off on a Mitsubishi Pinin...
standing a car for long periods - battery drain - kiss (keep it simple)
When the solar panel is placed on the dashboard, take into account the fact that the daylight intensity will be reduced by the tinted windows.
standing a car for long periods - battery drain - Dynamic Dave
When the solar panel is placed on the dashboard .....

Consider the parcel shelf as an alternate location then. Maybe even wire the solar panel into a live feed in the boot. eg, the boot light. I'm not sure if these devices can be left connected when the vehicle is running or not, but you could always fit a diode if they're not.
standing a car for long periods - battery drain - John F
Loosen the positve terminal just enough so you can twist it on and off the battery as and when you need it. That's what I've done for over 25yrs on my TR7 which often goes a week or or three unused. [a month if there's salt on the road] I think it probably helps to reduce corrosion as well as ensuring it always starts!
Nah, impractical, the alarm will sound. Plus fiddling under the bonnet when dark doesn't appeal .
standing a car for long periods - battery drain - John F
Alarm? on 9yr old car?

Disconnect - probably more likely to disappear with battery and alarm connected! [although I accept might invalidate insurance....]